New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah, right.

Just after ll this crap started , I've stop by the Collectors in Hopewell junction to get some primers and one ammo , just to find out when I was about to pay , that CCI primer went to $45 from $27 in just over a week. Swore this was last time I've bought nothing there.
Today I had to go to MAhopac and stopped by Precision in Carmel.
$69 for 1 k Winchester primers. $39.99 for lbs of powder. 19.99$ for CCI .22.
Figured I'd check out hand gun selection , which was nice. No wonder. $999 for S&W governor.

So , support you local gun shop ?
i think not. Especially if they are barging more money then sellers on Gunbrooker.
I know one thing , one day this craze will be over , but those two shops lost customer for life. If I'm gonna get ripped off , at lest I can have I delivered to my house , without spending money on gas.

Now , I might be biased a bit. I've been buying most of my guns at Tri county sporting in Patterson. I've even become friends with the owner , despite the fact he's a bit of a jackass. Regardless of all that , all his prices are a bit higher then usual , but not more the MSRP . I know he's selling tons of stuff on GB for premium prices , but at least prices in his store don't reflect it.

Feel free to collaborate. Would like to see a list of gun stores around that still value local customers.
Heard a lot of good things about Civil Armory , just didn't have chance to stop by.

Please list your experiences in Putnam , Dutches , orange, ulster...( don't bother with westecheter )

·
Registered
278 Posts
Collectors has been doing that with every gun/ammo craze. I'm 27, i have been buying off him since i was 18. Even before that i had parents and uncles buy stuff for me.

When their is no gun craze their prices are awesome. But since the guy who owns the place is just about always in a bad mood. I have since started buying from Civil Armory in Pleasant valley. There selection isn't as big as Collectors, BUT the way they treat you usually has you coming back to them.

Almost every store has increased prices. Due to not being able to get stock, and now suppliers are raising their prices. So its to be expected. But with Collector they don't just raise their prices because their cost went up. They raise it so they can get as much as they can, and wouldn't you know..... Some people actually go in there and are happy to pay the prices and get what they want!

I have been stocking up on certain things via gander and dicks sporting goods and sometimes walmart. My collection of .308 and 30-06 is staggering because of those 3 shops.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Not for nothing but if the suppliers raise the prices and they (the LGS) want to still sell product...they have to adjust their prices accordingly. You can't find primers for under 40$ anywhere right now unless you catch them in stock online and they want 27$ hazmat and limit 1 box per person.

Prove me wrong, cuz i'll buy some.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not for nothing but if the suppliers raise the prices and they (the LGS) want to still sell product...they have to adjust their prices accordingly. You can't find primers for under 40$ anywhere right now unless you catch them in stock online and they want 27$ hazmat and limit 1 box per person.

Prove me wrong, cuz i'll buy some.
Most of the stuff at collectors they already had in-stock before the craze. They have two conex box's full of ammo, guns, parts.ect ect. So they are raising prices on stuff they already had. I'm not complaining as i don't buy from them. If people are willing to pay then might as well get as much as you can for it right? I mean people must not mind the prices since that store is always jammed full past capacity.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I hear you man. If i was in dire need of supplies to, i would probably walk into that store tomorrow and pay their asking price. Which sucks for me. Because i own 100 acres and we TRY to shoot every Saturday and Sunday. But lately we can't a ford the ammo. Hell sometimes its...Do i feed the family or..... buy ammo! Gets depressing/frustrating fast not being able to do something you have your whole life because either you can't find it or when you do its so damn expensive.

·
Registered
810 Posts
While I hear and feel your pain, a store has to consider replacement cost with sales. If price of an item goes from 20 to 40, they need to get 40 to have enough Capitol to bring in the replacement
i see scalpers prices everywhere. In my area I only have two gun shops I frequent and other than going to chains ( some or all of which were priced higher than the lgs to begin with) it is really my only option without hours of driving. Gas is not cheap either!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't take me wrong. I understand some price increase is necessary ,due to supply and demand. But if I can buy something a lot cheaper online ,including shipping and hazmat fees, then it becomes price gouging. Precision armory had boxes of ammo with "Hand re-written" prices. Don't tell me that was due to their higher cost . Screw them , craze or not , I'm not spending any of my money at the places like this. One day this craziness will be over and they will be forced to lower the prices , well guess what? I won't be shopping there anymore even if they are 1/2 price everybody else.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Don't take me wrong. I understand some price increase is necessary ,due to supply and demand. But if I can buy something a lot cheaper online ,including shipping and hazmat fees, then it becomes price gouging. Precision armory had boxes of ammo with "Hand re-written" prices. Don't tell me that was due to their higher cost . Screw them , craze or not , I'm not spending any of my money at the places like this. One day this craziness will be over and they will be forced to lower the prices , well guess what? I won't be shopping there anymore even if they are 1/2 price everybody else.
So you're saying that when the demand is lower, the prices will come down? Interesting idea. The very cornerstone of capitalism, supply and demand, is "price gouging" now?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My faith in LGS has been shaken lately. A lot of them just won't be getting anymore of my business. When a LGS charges $200 for a can of 7.62x 54r that I can buy anywhere online for $120, they are gougers. They are on my list of businesses I won't visit any longer. Also, I'm sick of their fear mongering tactics. Don't ****ing tell me a beat ass Mosin is worth $500 again and I better buy your last one. Don't go on and on about the president or that piece of **** Governor to get me to pay your outrageous prices. I'm on to the scam.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Most of the stuff at collectors they already had in-stock before the craze. They have two conex box's full of ammo, guns, parts.ect ect. So they are raising prices on stuff they already had. I'm not complaining as i don't buy from them. If people are willing to pay then might as well get as much as you can for it right? I mean people must not mind the prices since that store is always jammed full past capacity.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they'd still need to raise prices even if its items they already had in stock. The item that is sold will need to be replaced and if the distributor raised they're prices, it would actually put them in the hole when they went to order more.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they'd still need to raise prices even if its items they already had in stock. The item that is sold will need to be replaced and if the distributor raised they're prices, it would actually put them in the hole when they went to order more.
Some what true. But hey, it really doesn't bother me. I am not buying ammo from these places. Its only price gouging if its something you can't live without. Like water,food,gas ect. Other wise its whatever. I'm guilty of it too. I found some 22lr for regular prices and made a profit on gun broker. Then again i sold all my items with no reserve. So if people want to pay out the REAR for ammo. Sucks to be them i guess?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Some what true. But hey, it really doesn't bother me. I am not buying ammo from these places. Its only price gouging if its something you can't live without. Like water,food,gas ect. Other wise its whatever. I'm guilty of it too. I found some 22lr for regular prices and made a profit on gun broker. Then again i sold all my items with no reserve. So if people want to pay out the REAR for ammo. Sucks to be them i guess?
Where did this idea that it is price gouging if it is a necessity to life come from? I hear it more and more in these price gouging threads, but it's totally untrue. You had better HOPE they raise prices in a disaster situation for you to even have a chance at a high DEMAND item.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Before the panic buying, there were a few stores in my area that I really liked for having prices consistently comparable with online and having great customer service. Then there were others that charged closer to MSRP.

Now, the stores I liked are charging the same prices, but obviously dealing with supply issues. The others are charging $99 for a brick of .22 (true story).

Nothing has changed, if anything this has just brought out everyone's true colors. My loyalty is the same as ever.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Stores that don't do this don't stay in business....
Back in the days of when the buffalo still roamed the plains of New York state, during the Vietnam war, there came a time when due to the war effort many firearms companys cut back on models being produced, because of high steel prices and accompanied shortages. Many small local gun shops continued to sell their wares at pre-inflation prices, not taking into account their replacement costs sky-rocketing. End result was that many small local dealers went under, being unable to replace their stocks of firearms. Restocking cost have to be figured in. If your reloading component supplier has 20 tons of shot on hand, that he bought a few years ago, when the prices were much lower, would you expect him to sell at those prices? Without taking replacement costs into consideration? To do so would be inviting bankruptcy.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Back in the days of when the buffalo still roamed the plains of New York state, during the Vietnam war, there came a time when due to the war effort many firearms companys cut back on models being produced, because of high steel prices and accompanied shortages. Many small local gun shops continued to sell their wares at pre-inflation prices, not taking into account their replacement costs sky-rocketing. End result was that many small local dealers went under, being unable to replace their stocks of firearms. Restocking cost have to be figured in. If your reloading component supplier has 20 tons of shot on hand, that he bought a few years ago, when the prices were much lower, would you expect him to sell at those prices? Without taking replacement costs into consideration? To do so would be inviting bankruptcy.
While the effect is the same, the actual theory that one must sell at the going market price is that the seller is selling things of a specific market value. The economic/business reason is not that replenishing inventory costs more, but that merchandise must sell at current market value. Would you sell gold that you bought at $300 for a 20% markup at $360 or even at a 50% markup at $450 if the market price is $1300? I think not.

It works the other way, too. Would you keep the listed price of a product at $1300 if its market value had reduced to $300? Of course not, that would just assure you of not recovering even part of your cost. So the key is "market value" not replacement cost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.