New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have suggestions on a good inch pound torque wrench? I need to break down and buy one.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I've got several snap-ons as well. They have a few different styles. I've got a couple in 3/8 that are good for small projects. They are "dial" type, torque both directions but don't rachet. I also have one like this in 1/4" but it uses a screwdriver style handle. Their "Tech wrenches" are great for heavier stuff. I've got 1/2 in this style. I'm in Cornwall if you want to check any of them out or borrow to see if it is something you'd like.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I've got a Craftsman torque wrench that works well. I got it off of ebay for $25 or $30.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you guys using 1/4 or 3/8 ? Anyone have a preference to the bar style or the dial and "click" style? I don't see needing the ratcheting kind.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
For gun stuff? I use a Wheeler flat wrench. It's a torque screwdriver that goes up to 60 in-lb.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
The 3/8 that I have are bar style with a dial gauge, no "click". I believe these are as accurate as you can get (other than lab grade). The 1/4 also has a dial gauge, but you twist it like a screwdriver (you can attach a ratchet or breaker bar to the end of the handle. I believe the "click" style is the least accurate of all styles, but still may be fine for whatever you're using it for.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This will be used primarily for gun stuffs. I am going to google this wheeler wrench, I never herd of one as a screw driver, seems like it would fit my need better then a conventional style....I've had a craftsmen beam foot pound one for years and it works great but didn't know if the inch pound was a whole different ball game.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Sorry, it's fat wrench... not flat wrench. Typo.

Wheeler Engineering FAT (Firearm Accurizing Torque) Torque Wrench

It's click style. It has a line style gauge on the front to set the torque. The black ring on the ends adjusts it by pulling out on the black part and twisting it. It reads up to 60 in-lb but I go past the end when I need 65 in-lb for my chassis.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to have good reviews for the most part, Amazon has a good deal on the set $47.63 with free shipping for prime members.

Only concern at this point is one review I saw was the shaft is to thick to get the bit in some smaller spaces. Do you know if it would be able to get a bit in the recess for the 10/22 take down screw? If it is small enough to fit in that i'll order that one.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Off topic, but scale matters! I was tighening my fuel filter bolts last Fall thinking I was reading inch pounds but turned out to be newton-meters. Wound up breaking a bolt off inside my fuel housing. After a lot of effort gave up and replaced the fuel housing. $700 lesson I won't forget, lol.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sometimes wish the entire world operated on 1 system. I was driving home the other day and accidentally must have hit the celsius fahrenheit button and was confused when it read like 35 Deg. outside temp.....on a similar thing I sometimes like to screw with my wife and while driving at night and shes not paying attention switch the mph to kmh (my cars dash is digital) so the speedometer reads like 115.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Seems to have good reviews for the most part, Amazon has a good deal on the set $47.63 with free shipping for prime members.

Only concern at this point is one review I saw was the shaft is to thick to get the bit in some smaller spaces. Do you know if it would be able to get a bit in the recess for the 10/22 take down screw? If it is small enough to fit in that i'll order that one.
No idea but it's a 1/4" drive so you can use whatever extensions and bits that you have already. I need to get way down in my AICS chassis so I put a 1/4" drive socket on the fat wrench and cut off an allen key that fits the chassis screws and use the socket on the fat wrench to turn it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, didn't really think that over to well. Looks like i'll be giving the Wheeler a try.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts