New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here using the Straight Talk Home Phone set up. It uses a cell tower receiver that your home phone plugs into. We are looking at alternatives to TW phone service now that they are going to start a modem rental fee. The ST looks interesting as the service is $15/month but you have to buy the receiver for $99 up front.

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have cell service with Verizon they have a receiver and with any of them if you know what you are doing you can use them to power the phone wires in your house.
The ST set up is run on Verizon's towers. My biggest concern is how many phones can this device power at once. Our TW modem feeds a phone line that then splits and powers 4 other phones in the house. I can't find any info on how much this device can power at once. There are two phone jacks on the back of the unit but that means running a phone line from somewhere else in the house to the receiver, not looking to run more cable.

· Registered
174 Posts
You can use the existing cable in your house, you have two options.

First is you have to cut the wire going from your NID (the phone box outside) I would recommend making this in an easy to get to area so that it is easy to hook the box back up if you should desire to.

You can then either patch in directly from the wire coming in from your nid or use a normal phone cord and plug it into a jack. At least it should work I can't see it but all phone wires are is a parallel circuit of 4 wires (two twisted pair).

· Head of Bacon Operations
3,679 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not same thing, but I am going with this so I can use cordless land line phones with cell once I disconnect TW phone.
Amazon.com: Cobra PhoneLynx Bluetooth Cell to Home Phone Connection System (BT 215): Electronics

I *think* you can have more than one phone ring through it. One of the ones I looked at had that feature, can't remember if it was this or a different one.
I'm not wanting to run the house phone off a cell phone. I would just ditch the house phone altogether and use the cell phone if I wanted to pay for a cell plan. I'm looking for a cheaper option than I have now, TW phone runs about $30/mo. and the ST is $15, just looking to send my money somewhere other than TW.

You can use the existing cable in your house, you have two options.

First is you have to cut the wire going from your NID (the phone box outside) I would recommend making this in an easy to get to area so that it is easy to hook the box back up if you should desire to.

You can then either patch in directly from the wire coming in from your nid or use a normal phone cord and plug it into a jack. At least it should work I can't see it but all phone wires are is a parallel circuit of 4 wires (two twisted pair).
My phone box already has the wires capped, TW did this when I went to their phone service. My phones all get their signal from the one line plugged into the back of the TW modem. I'm trying to find if the ST receiver has enough power to do the same thing.

Thanks for the input, I'll find someone eventually who has the service and can give me more info.

· Registered
174 Posts
Very good, I have done some phone installs before, but I need to see the wires. Sometimes other techs get creative with their networking. Then all you would need to do is plug in your new modem box (or whatever) where the modem box is hooked up now. I would suggest looking and vonage, I have seen their tech and it is pretty good. They also have some pretty powerful modems, I had seen one misinstalled such that it would power about 30 phones in the house and the old circuit to the Central Office and still managed to give tone albeit a dim one.

In practice you should not have any problems with any of the ones listed. Though if you have questions feel free to drop me a PM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.