New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if you made your AR a straight pull with a non-ready release magazine, would it still be an assault rifle?

For home defense, I'd want a semi-automatic but at the range...I could care less.

I saw an awesome video by LanTac. They had a really cool upper with a right hand charging handle directly attached to the BCG. Making it a straight pull bolt action rifle.

· Registered
2,650 Posts
I was kind of thinking the same thing as a way to use the pre-ban mags I already have. Buy a lower, remove the bolt catch and replace the mag release spring/button with a solid piece so the mag is secured directly to the lower. Now you have a receiver with an internal 20 or 30 round capacity. Block the gas port in the FSB by simply pinning in a solid piece of round stock the same diameter as the gas tube, which blocks semi-auto operation.

Two options from there - install a charging handle by drilling/tapping a hole in the carrier and machining a slot in the upper, or create some type of pump mechanism out of the front handguard and use the existing path for the gas tube to secure an action rod to the gas key on the carrier.

To charge the mag, just pull the rear takedown pin and load with the action open - a million trap and skeet shooters with O/U can not all be wrong.

· R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,479 Posts
You can build a straight pull but you would have to permanently plug the gas system IMO. Then not a semi auto so nothing evil applies.
A bullet button means nothing and is unnecessary. Keep the mag to 7.

if you don't want to go with a side charger upper, modify an ambi charging handle and add a stem and bolt handle to it.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Jesus Christ, has everyone given up? Are we all going to rollover and let this POS **** us in the ass with this unconstitutional filth? Stand up for your rights.. stop worrying about how to comply, and start worrying how to stop this law.

· R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,479 Posts
Jesus Christ, has everyone given up? Are we all going to rollover and let this POS **** us in the ass with this unconstitutional filth? Stand up for your rights.. stop worrying about how to comply, and start worrying how to stop this law.
Just trying to make sure an expensive target rifle can be handed down to my kids.

· Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Failure to plan is planning to fail. We can plan ways around the ban to ensure legal passing of these guns to our children without wasting a massive investment in them. If they are currently illegal, I would rather modify them for use in the interm.

No one here will stop fighting. I've personally made 30 minutes of phone messages and emails every single night since a week after Newtown.

Fight all you can but do not turn your back on the possibilty that nothing will be repealed. By then...it will be to late to come up with options imo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.