New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aggressive police take hundreds of millions of dollars from motorists not charged with crimes.

A thriving subculture of road officers on the network now competes to see who can seize the most cash and contraband, describing their exploits in the network's chat rooms and sharing "trophy shots" of money and drugs. Some police advocate highway interdiction as a way of raising revenue for cash-strapped municipalities.

Cash seizures can be made under state or federal civil law. One of the primary ways police departments are able to seize money and share in the proceeds at the federal level is through a long-standing Justice Department civil asset forfeiture program known as Equitable Sharing. Asset forfeiture is an extraordinarily powerful law enforcement tool that allows the government to take cash and property without pressing criminal charges and then requires the owners to prove their possessions were legally acquired.

Aggressive police take hundreds of millions of dollars from motorists not charged with crimes | The Washington Post

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
There was a show on tv a bit ago concerning this. The numbers in dollars was staygring. Disgusting action if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I do not agree with this. If no arrest or other reason for evidence, then it is wrong . A person shouldn't have to prove its legal. It's the stste's burden and if it can't make the case, return it.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I do not agree with this. If no arrest or other reason for evidence, then it is wrong . A person shouldn't have to prove its legal. It's the stste's burden and if it can't make the case, return it.
Well, I guess it's time for you to hop in one of those forums and tell them to cut the shenanigans then, hmm?

yes.. I'm being a dick.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
We can't voucher property from a person without a charge unless it is lost, abandoned, or voluntarily surrendered. Maybe for once NYC leads the way in something? Lol

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
How do you think they afford all of those toys we can't have ? This has been going on for years in NV as they really clean up from the California people who come to gamble . Then on the way home it's a shakedown to get back all of the winnings ! It's amazing .

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I've always been disgusted by the courts for allowing this sort of thing.

Taking valuable property from someone by force and claiming it's not a fine so that you can avoid the legal requirements to fine them is full on corruption IMHO.

By that logic they can violate any protection we have by the simple act of claiming they are not.

They are doing that as well however. Indefinite detention without charge, well, he's not a criminal so he doesn't get the protections of a criminal, but he's not a POW either, so we can just call him an "enemy combatant" and do whatever we want without any regard to legal restrictions at all. At this point there is no such thing as due process.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Its actions like this that will lead to road gangs setting up bait cars for cops and then, SURPRISE! Im not advocating that, but I can see a certain element of society doing such things once it effects their bottom line.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I live along a major corridor between Canada and NYC. The amount of cars I see pulled over with two or more trooper cars, with the troopers searching the vehicle is unreal. I've lived here all my life, and this is a fairly recent development.
Yes, the paper sometimes reports they caught a drug dealer driving cracked out on coke with a few grams on the Northway, but rarely does it make the news. It's generally younger white kids.

I'm amazed that either the driver allows the search, or they find probable cause. It's rarely a ratty car.

The highway is used for drugs and human trafficking, now it makes me wonder about what racket the police have going, too.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Stopping the abuse of civil forfeiture - The Washington Post

Imagine you are driving down the highway on your way to buy a car. You spent months researching years, makes and models, and you finally found somebody who was selling the exact ride you were looking for at a reasonable price. Suddenly, police pull you over for allegedly going 37 mph in a 35 mph zone. Upon discovering the $8,500 in cash you have on hand, the officers take you to jail and threaten to charge you with money laundering unless you turn over the money. Frightened, you give it to them.
This may sound like something out of a Hollywood movie, but it's a true story, and incidents like it happen all too often across the country because of our civil forfeiture laws.
Fortunately, the victim in the above story, Roderick Daniels, had his property returned by officials due to media attention and legal pressure. But the power to take property without due process continues to be abused by local, state and federal law enforcement official

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
If a cop takes your cash at a traffic stop, he's a thief, plain and simple. Track him down to where he lives, get it back by any means necessary.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
We can't voucher property from a person without a charge unless it is lost, abandoned, or voluntarily surrendered. Maybe for once NYC leads the way in something? Lol
Some jurisdictions have the same rules, but the cops threaten people who have cash that they will be held and charged unless they voluntarily abandon the cash.

Big story a while ago about a town on the road out of vegas doing that on a regular basis. If you were driving home from vacation and some cop took a couple grand of your money and said if you "voluntarily" surrender it you can go free, but if not you will get locked up for at least a few days, and probably have to spend more than the money in question on a lawyer what would you do. Unfortunately most people give in.

No offense to you and the people you work with Airborne, but there is a reason why trust for LE in general is declining in this country.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts