New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 1st rifle today and it's exactly what I wanted and best part was I bought it off a local dealer which is great. Put's money in his pocket as a local small buisness and if I ever have issues I can always drop in for help which can't be done if I went the gunbroker auction route. Win/Win.

I really wanted a wood stock m1a in the 042201-63000 serial range as they were considered the best receiver group ever, crafted by Melvin Smith at SAI. I wanted pre-ban so I could use the 20rd clips and have the removable flash hider w/beyonet lug. Not that I plan on running around with a beyonet, but I have a really nice WWII serated beyonet that's at my fathers house I'm curious to fit on and see how sexy it looks and without the pre ban serial I'm looking at a Felony and thats not cool. Now I don't have to worrry.

So, on top of all that it came with a 20rd undated pre ban clip, bought a cleaning kit, wire lock (kids), and it has a TRW bolt. Havent fussed with it too much yet so I don't know the barrel or trigger group mfg tags yet but I'm deffinatly happy with my purchase.

Paid $1699 for it with the 20rd clip & lock included. Considering the prices on gunbroker for pre bans as well as that specific serial range and the ease of locality without the shipping/FFL hassle and ability to have that local dealer relationship. I think the price was reasonable. I've seen them cheaper but generaly post ban weapons with 100,000+ serial numbers that don't have the same reliability reputation.

Anyway, here it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny part is I had a choice last saturday of going here or the Thruway Market in Walden as both are about the same distance from my house. I chose Thruway becasue I'm familiar with them and was debating going to Lounsburys too since it's out that ways but didn't. I waited till this weekend to go in the opposite direction to CG&A and as fate would have it this gun just came in on trade yesterday. So I would have missed it if I had chosen differently last weekend.

Life is good sometimes. :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
an original M14....sweet. you guys keep giving me these flashbacks. where'd you get it, Master Arms?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
an original M14....sweet. you guys keep giving me these flashbacks. where'd you get it, Master Arms?
Hope this doesn't count as spam but I got it at a store called Collector Guns and Ammo in Hopewell Junction, NY.

Thanks for the love guys. I've been thinking long and hard about what I wanted for my first rifle and if I was gonna spend money on just one gun I wanted to make sure I did it right the first time considering all the things I wanted it for and to accomplish.

Can't wait to run a few clips worth through it.

Haha, it already bit me once while trying to reassemble the trigger group. Took off some finger nail on my index finder. LoLz. She loves me, she loves me not.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Not spam at all. Collector Arms is highly respected on this board. and BTW, they're called magazines, not clips. the Garand used clips.
Congatulations and good shoooting. You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Your first rifle! That is a very nice 1st rifle. A preban makes it extra special. The proper bayonet is an M6. You should be able to pick one up with a factory edge, meaning one that has not been sharpened by countless people and screwed up for $40 - $ 50. They are out there, I bought one for $30 shipped a yr. or so ago. I just got lucky and saw an ad. Try bowling pins at 100 yds. Great rifle, have fun. By the way, I think $1699 is a good price for that rifle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts