New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock Pinning: Try To Remove Old Pin & Re-Pin New Or Just Get New Buffer Tube & Pin?

So I got a new stock to replace my M4 stock on the M&P15.

Some background:

My current M4 stock is actually pinned and the castle nut is staked well.

There is a little bit of a lip on the pin and I'm thinking I can grab it with pliers or get a stripped screw extractor in there to back it out.

If I attempt to remove the pin I could risk damaging the tube and the M4 stock. I would greatly prefer not to do that as I can sell them now for decent money or keep them for a future build.

On the other hand, if I remove it without damaging either unit, I can save some money and I will not have to re-stake my castle nut or worry about alignment of the new tube.

There is an equal amount of work for either scenario.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
86 Posts
You could use another drill bit and drill that one out since you wont be re-pinning your stock there the size of the drilled out hole wont matter. You will have an unfun time trying to grab the pin with a pair of needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been thinking a lot about this and I decided to get a new buffer tube instead of drilling out the old one. This way I will have a spare tube and pinned M4 stock for another budget build. Now all I have to do is pin the new stock on the new tube and stake the receiver plate into the castle nut.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be a bad idea to use the taper pins from my old gas block/sight to pin my buttstock onto the receiver extension? They are all I've got laying around. I've never pinned a stock before and it seems like everyone just uses 1/16" dia roll pins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts