New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in Chemung county and I turned my permit application in right at the beginning of February 2012 (within the 1st week). I STILL am waiting.... which equates to about a ~7 month wait so far. What should I do?

My father knew someone who turned their pistol permit application in mid-January and got accepted by mid-June.

By those standards, I should have had mine long ago.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know about your County but in Orange they don't mind if you call for an update. Last time I called I asked if it would be a bother if I called back in a month for another update and the guy was very friendly and told me it was not a problem at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are couple other posts on the board saying there is hold up getting background checks returned from the state. Might want to mention that you heard there was a backup with them coming back from the state and see what they say

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The holdup has been the Mental heath check. The state is now requiring the counties to do them via a website that does not quite work so well. That's what's causing a lot of the backlog.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am not trying to argue with you and I understand the waiting game as I am in the same same boat. With that said I would make sure you have all your info correct if you decide to question the county . One of your post's on another thread said 8 .5 months and here its 8, now I turned mine in on mar 2 and calculate that I am just shy of 6 months. So someone is a little off on the time waiting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am not trying to argue with you and I understand the waiting game as I am in the same same boat. With that said I would make sure you have all your info correct if you decide to question the county . One of your post's on another thread said 8 .5 months and here its 8, now I turned mine in on mar 2 and calculate that I am just shy of 6 months. So someone is a little off on the time waiting.
More like 6.5 to 7 months.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called pistol permit office again today. Looks like they have changed their policy in Chemung county now.

They WILL NOT give you status updates. They basically say, you get it when you get it...

So now what.... just keep waiting?

This is starting to get ridiculous. I want my $200 in fees back. :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dont know what is going on with this state. I have called orleans county a handfull of times in the last 6 months and all i get is " still with the sheriff" . If it is still there , then i have to guess it will be with the judge for another 2-4 months once he has it. I think it is unexceptable and i have put together a letter to our senator. I am just up in the air about sending it off and making things worse, but then i feel that if NY is not following the law there should be something done about it. I wounder if we would let NY say we had to wait 6 -12 months for a permit to use our right for free speech, or if we would tolerate them telling us that only people they agree with can vote this year. The second amendment is a right to all U.S citizens and should be equal through out the entire country according to the Constitution.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look at it in this perspective. If they gave us a bill, fine, or something else that required mandatory action taken within 6 months, and we failed..... they would slap us with a huge fine and many other bad things.

So when they default on a law that requires them to get the pistol permit back to you within 6 months, we can't do anything about it?

The system is messed up for sure.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Look at it in this perspective. If they gave us a bill, fine, or something else that required mandatory action taken within 6 months, and we failed..... they would slap us with a huge fine and many other bad things. So when they default on a law that requires them to get the pistol permit back to you within 6 months, we can't do anything about it? The system is messed up for sure.
We can do something about it: sue and have the law interpreted by the courts. All it takes is someone with proper standing and either deep pockets or financing through an organization of like-minded individuals. I'll donate to the cause if you decide to pursue legal action that will result in a judgment that interprets the law.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey Catfish, when I picked up my application in March the clerk told me that the permit issuing officer quit, so one of the deputies was taking over that job, but until he retired from his position as a deputy, he was doing double duty. She did not indicate when he would take over full time. Whenever I called his office all I got was a recording to leave a message. I haven't gotten the fingerprints because of the cost, so mine hasn't gotten anywhere. I would say this reason combined with the mental health checks are going to slow things way down for Chemung County.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Wait Time: 1 Year, 6 Months

Still Waiting...

Had someone on the "inside" tell me they are still working on it.... FML

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I would call up and ask for the names of all the people working on your application including judges name. When they ask why tell them you need to know who to sue and report for violating the law and your rights. I bet you will get your permit real quick after that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a heads up. Chemung County Judge Peter Buckley is having some serious health issues which I am sure is adding to the problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just a heads up. Chemung County Judge Peter Buckley is having some serious health issues which I am sure is adding to the problem.
Then they need to replace him . Sorry , but if he can't do the job then he needs to step down & focus on his health . And his position needs to be filled with someone who can focus on the job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Catfish,

I would go to the permit office in person and respectfully request to see your file and an explanation of where it is in the process. I bet it has been misplaced. They owe you a response. You paid for a service that has not been rendered. If they fail to produce the file in a reasonable amount of time (2-3 business days), then take it to a lawyer.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts