New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new here to this forum, but want to thank everyone here for what has been a great resource for information. I'm very happy I've found this place!

I initially posted this question in another thread about my filing for my NYC Premises Permit, but thought it would be better to create a new thread instead. Anyways, my question is I've been seeing conflicting reports as to what NRA courses the Florida non-resident CCW application accepts. I'm thinking of applying for that permit as well while I wait on my approval/denial for my NYC Premises Permit. Some say you have to take a live fire course like the basic pistol course, while others say a non-shooting course like the Home Firearm Safety Course will be accepted. I would love to take both these classes, but apparently in NY, and more specifically, for me here in Queens, NYC you cannot take a live fire class of any kind without already being a NY Permit holder. Seems completely idiotic and backwards if you ask me. You would think that learning the in's and out's of gun safety, including firing a weapon would be best done with a certified instructor, prior to actually receiving a permit. Apparently NY thinks differently on that one. I'm just trying to get a straight answer as to what Florida will accept. Either way, I plan to take the home firearm safety course regardless since I figure that certificate will be looked highly upon at my interview at 1PP.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A couple vendors here disagree. One requires live fire and the other does not because the law does not specifically say you have to shoot the gun. The vendor who does not require live fire has been training people who have been quite successful getting FL permits. I can't remember the name and don't have time now to search. I'm sure they will chime in soon. If not I'll get the info and post later. Good luck. FYI - My FL permit is in the works and I did not fire a handgun.

Edit: Just noticed Queens. You will have a long drive to get up this way.

·
Registered
312 Posts
FLorida and Utah ccw permits do not require live fire so a firearms safety class is sufficient. Many NY counties require a firearms safety course in order to apply for a pistol permit. I took a combined NY/FL/UT course with Damon Finch in New Windsor NY in Orange County. At the end of the 5 hr course, I had learned safe rules for firearms handling, handled and safety checked revolvers, semi-auto pistols and rifles. I had a packet ready to mail to Utah. The Florida packet just needed a fingerprint card done by local police. All photos and fingerprinting and form filling was done during class. I also had copies of my completion certificate that I incl in my Dutchess county pistol application. I received my FL and Utah permits within 1-2 months. Cost of course was $99. FL license was $107 (put my Visa info on application). FL is a 7 year permit. I believe Utah was $57 for a 5 yr permit (also used my Visa info). This was a very informative class and I highly recommend it as a beginning of ongoing training. I have seen similar courses offered for $250

My Dutchess Full Carry permit came after 9 months of handing in application to Sheriff's office, 6 months after photo/fingerprints. Cost was approx. $120.

After I received my NYS pistol permit, I took the NRA Basic Pistol class. The NRA Basic Pistol Permit does require live fire. If the NRA Basic Pistol student doesn't have a pistol permit, then they will be shooting a rifle (probably 22LR) during the live fire part of the class. In the NRA class that I took, each student fired approx. 10-15 rounds with the instructor supervising each individual's shooting. Much more specific pistol info in this class along with NRA manuals and handouts. This was an 8 hr class in at Davis Shooting Sports in Goshen NY in Orange County. Great class given by Joe. Out of 15 students, I was the only one with a NYS pistol permit so I was the only one who was permitted to shoot a pistol during the live fire portion towards the end of the class. I believe the cost of the class was $150. NRA certificates were given to each student at the end of class.

I would recommend taking the classes in this order. Due to long waits for NYS pistol permits, I feel a basic firearms course is a good starting point in your training. You will be receiving your FL/UT permits which allow you to carry in 36+ states. Once you have a NYS pistol permit, then taking the NRA basic pistol class where you can actually fire a pistol makes more sense to me .

Ongoing training, learning and focused practice with your firearms are most important. Be Safe!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW, thank you SO much for all the info CardinalNY/norbohe! All this is really helpful, and I appreciate the responses. That Damon Finch NY/FL/UT class sounds great and I will look into that right now. My application is already in with NYC for my premises permit, submitted that at the Kew Gardens Courthouse and was fingerprinted about 2 weeks back. Just waiting on the letter about my interview at 1PP. In the meantime, I'll look into those classes and will see what's upcoming! And yes, since I'm here in Queens I'll have to do a bit of driving, but that's ok. There are several NRA basic pistol courses available here where I live, but my plan is to take that class after I get my NYC permit so I can work with pistols.

·
Registered
158 Posts
FYI - My FL permit is in the works and I did not fire a handgun.

Since I will be applying for my Florida permit soon (I've acquired a house there), I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more regarding your FL experience. What ype of permit is required, what sort of paperwork, what sort of firearm proficiency is needed, etc. I've held a NYS permit (no restrictions) for 39 years. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer ......

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked which courses Damon Finch has coming up in September, and it looks like he has one on Thursday the 19th. I think I will be taking that one. It will be a late night since the class ends at 11pm, and I'll still have a good drive back to Queens, but it will be worth it for sure! Even though this will be a carry conceal course, I'm sure I will still get a lot of great safety info that I can apply to having a firearm in my home (assuming NYC ultimately approves me). But I was also interested in applying for my FL/UT CCW permit as well, so this course looks perfect as it covers everything! Thanks again for recommending it Cardinalny. Regarding CC here in NYC, well, that's just not going to happen. So I will have to be satisfied with a residential premises permit. But, I do a lot of traveling down south, which is why I am interested in the FL/UT permits. Problem is, I don't think there is any legal way I can take my firearm out of NYC, and transport it to another state. I've been researching the laws, and while you can transport a firearm from state to state if you live in NY State, it appears you cannot if you live in the NYC 5 boroughs with a NYC permit. We're like a different country here. Because of this, I'm not quite sure what my options are. It doesn't look like that I can under any circumstances transport my firearm out of state when I travel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I'm certainly no expert AC Orange, my friend Tim who likes in Ft Lauderdale has had a CCW for many years now, and while I was down there last month we picked up some ammo at a local shop and I asked some of those questions. Since you've had your license for almost 40 years now, you should have no problem getting one once you move to FL. I think you have to be living there for 90 days before applying though. Paperwork wise, the CC permit that this store owner showed to me was all of 2 pages long. Seemed like a very simple process there. And regarding firearm proficiency, I would think that since you've had your permit for so long now, that you would be covered there.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Since I will be applying for my Florida permit soon (I've acquired a house there), I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more regarding your FL experience. What ype of permit is required, what sort of paperwork, what sort of firearm proficiency is needed, etc. I've held a NYS permit (no restrictions) for 39 years. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer ......

First question is whether you will keep your NY driver license. If yes, you must get a FL non-resident permit. If you plan to make the FL house a primary residence and get a FL driver license you can get a resident permit. You will lose your NY permit however. My motivation was to have both permits so I went for FL non-resident along with Utah. You have similar rights except what you can buy and it must be shipped to FFL in NY.

Now, for training. If I had learned more before starting the process, I would have done my FL/UT permit training in Florida while I was there last winter. I made that mistake and you should not if possible. A Florida gun show is the easiest place to get the FL permit, hence all the controversy. There are also various training programs through gun shops, etc... The application is simple and whoever does the training will step you thru completition of the paperwork while you are there.

All that said, there are programs here that will get the job done. Just look for one that gives you the firearm safety certificate before you leave the training. I went through RPD and had to go thru extra BS and cost plus a second visit to get everyting I needed to complete the FL permit paperwork. Took me an extra month plus my finger print card was rejected and had to be redone and resubmitted. Utah is super easy wherever you go.

Edit: A hunter safety certificate is acceptable for firearm safety on FL application.

Good luck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
All I needed for the FL non resident permit was the same safety course you take for your NYS permit, the forms that Florida sends out to you by mail when you write for them, the fingerprints (fingerprint card included in the package Florida sends you) and the fee. Everything you need is in that package except your safety course certificate. You need to take the specified course for the Utah permit, not the Florida permit.

·
Registered
241 Posts
All I needed for the FL non resident permit was the same safety course you take for your NYS permit, the forms that Florida sends out to you by mail when you write for them, the fingerprints (fingerprint card included in the package Florida sends you) and the fee. Everything you need is in that package except your safety course certificate. You need to take the specified course for the Utah permit, not the Florida permit.
Good info! Not all NY counties require the safety course. Here in Monroe it's not required but certainly a good idea. Clearly, this is also beneficial to those who are going for FL and UT permits.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts

Your NYS pistol permit, completed FL application forms, and a hunting license/safety course certificate or NRA pistol safety certificate is more than sufficient for FL. They'll send you a fingerprint card (I believe you must request it - this can be done online - Form/Publication Request 790 - Division of Licensing, FDACS ). Include a check for the amount specified on the application form, and you'll probably have your FL license within a month. Only bummer is that the FL non-resident permit is no longer valid in PA; it was until about a year ago. I'm in a similar situation - I have a family residence in FL and am down there for a month every year. The FL CCW permit needs to be renewed every 7 years.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Your NYS pistol permit, completed FL application forms, and a hunting license/safety course certificate or NRA pistol safety certificate is more than sufficient for FL. They'll send you a fingerprint card (I believe you must request it - this can be done online - Form/Publication Request 790 - Division of Licensing, FDACS ). Include a check for the amount specified on the application form, and you'll probably have your FL license within a month. Only bummer is that the FL non-resident permit is no longer valid in PA; it was until about a year ago. I'm in a similar situation - I have a family residence in FL and am down there for a month every year. The FL CCW permit needs to be renewed every 7 years.
Good luck with a month. They say 90 days and it's all that so far for me. Plus I had to resubmit fingerprints. A couple people I took training with were also at 3 months easy.

Still better than NY though. Over 7 months now and hoping for less than 12.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
No required reason to take "FL CLASS" as marketed by some instructors. Florida Concealed Weapon License Application Information - Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

NRA Basic, Handgun Safety Class required in most NY Counties, Hunter Safety, .....
Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
  • any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
And passing a dummy gun around the classroom does not constitute a 'safety' class or 'firearms proficiency'.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have to laugh about all the different interpretations of " the law." I've been "learning" all of this stuff or 9 months now. I have hundreds of hours of research done. I seek knowledge from the "experts" who have been doing this for years. No two NRA instructors I've talked to seem to agree. Even NRA instructors in Florida disagree about Florida reqs. Rediculous! I just hope my permits show up some day. Good luck to everyone new trying to sort this crap out.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It's true. FLA has a wide range of acceptable training. It's good and it's bad. There is no prescribed course of fire nor what this course should contain. Some wonder courses in FLA do the 'one shot' theory while others do a 25-30 rd COF.

Over the years, we went back and forth. Now, we let all of our students know what FLA accepts- and usually they have it and didn't know it!....others can either do an NRA class, either with us or with someone else, or they can do a 'proficiency check run' where they will come in and demo safe handling, shoot a short COF under the supervision of an instructor, then they are issued the certificate stating only that they were observed performing safe handling in a live fire environment.

Other will choose to do what they want or interpret how they want but I don't wish to issue a statement or certificate attesting to someone's safe handling of a handgun without actually seeing them handle and shoot one safely.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to laugh about all the different interpretations of " the law." I've been "learning" all of this stuff or 9 months now. I have hundreds of hours of research done. I seek knowledge from the "experts" who have been doing this for years. No two NRA instructors I've talked to seem to agree.
I totally agree. I have been researching this for several months now, and I quickly realized that in many cases you'll never get the same answer twice! So, for now, I'll just stay the course and will take Damon Finch's NY/FL/UT course mid month or early in October in New Windsor, NY. I figure it will cover many of the things that I do need to know regardless, and that certificate will be good to present to the IO at the time of my interview at 1PP. Which hopefully will be next month some time. I submitted my application two weeks ago now, so hopefully I'll be receiving a letter soon. After the interview, I'm sure I'll be waiting MANY months before I hear anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts