New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STG 2000 L romanian AK 47.jpg

Wanting to make a FAIR offer on this its a good friend of mines 2-30 rounders . Fired maybe 100 rounds no rust or visible wear. Thanks~

·
Registered
419 Posts
Fair is where you go on rides and eat cotton candy.

Has nothing to do with buying and selling.

What's fair to you isn't going to be fair to him, and vice versa.

Ask him how much he wants for it. Then come back and tell us.

If he wants to sell it, he'll have an asking price.

If he doesn't have an asking price and he's playing the "make me an offer" game or the "I don't know what it's worth" game, walk away and look elsewhere.

And, no offense, but if you don't know how much to pay for that rifle, you shouldn't be thinking of buying it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair is where you go on rides and eat cotton candy.

Has nothing to do with buying and selling.

What's fair to you isn't going to be fair to him, and vice versa.

Ask him how much he wants for it. Then come back and tell us.

If he wants to sell it, he'll have an asking price.

If he doesn't have an asking price and he's playing the "make me an offer" game or the "I don't know what it's worth" game, walk away and look elsewhere.

And, no offense, but if you don't know how much to pay for that rifle, you shouldn't be thinking of buying it.
I am not familiar with this model ~ He doesn't know much about the rifle and is not sure if he even wants to sell it. No games just want to make a fair offer and i have not seen any of these for sale around. Not a million of them around like the wasr. made sense to ask in a gun forum i thought these rooms were set up for people to learn from one another. My thought was $550-600 . And yes offense taken. If you dont want to help fine but im not here to be told whether or not i should be buying a firearm 2nd ammendment says its my right and not your call. If i misinterpreted your post ill apologize but it comes across as rude. The old adage if you dont know ask isn't a bad thing!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would also like to know difference between the L and the C models

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Well, there is one big problem right off the bat. That rifle is quite possibly illegal in it's current state as photographed. These rifles were sold here with plastic USA made magazines (made by the always horrible company ProMag). This was done as way to save costs on the build, because the magazine's parts were counted as 3 922r compliance parts. So, using the pre-ban foreign steel mag in the gun, as it is pictured above, most likely makes the gun instantly in violation of 922r unless the owner has changed out further internals as compliance parts. I am not 100% positive about this.. but lets just say.. I'm fairly sure.

As for the c vs. l thing.. well, all I can say is that I have never seen or heard of an l , and google searching seems to support that idea. Because I had never heard of it, I did some pretty extensive searching and can't seem to find any reference at all on the internet to an L ever existing. However, if indeed the rifle is marked L instead of C, my best guess would be that the common STG-2000c was built with a threaded barrel and birdcage flash hider. That rifle appears not to have one. I have seen a number of these ban-state models sold in NY though as pictured and without the flash hider, but still they were not marked with an L. So, I don't know what to say about that. Or ir could be a reference to having been sold with reduced capacity magazines.

That being said, NIB value would be somewhere right around $550. Now, THAT being said I would personally never pay that for one. QC on these rifles is spotty at best. You don't need to listen to me, just search the internet for info and you'll easily find enough complaints and issues with them to write a novel with.

Seriously though, most important thing is the first thing I said. Please be aware, and make your friend aware, of the potential 922r issue.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Also, I did manage to find a picture of the instruction manual included with the whole line. As you can see, no L model is listed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
STG 200 L.jpg STG 2000 made in.jpg

Maybe these will help ~ I know they are pre-ban mags~It does appear it is a C when i enlarge it. But it was made in romania not the US as the manual above.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I think 550ish is about the value of the average romanian, being that it seems a little rare maybe 600-650. I like the Sig556 type handguard on it. Looks like a nice AK to me.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you~ About what i thought he has a pre-ban 75 rd drum i want also ill see if i can him to part with both. think Ill offer 650-675 for both and see what he says.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Maybe these will help ~ I know they are pre-ban mags~It does appear it is a C when i enlarge it. But it was made in romania not the US as the manual above.
I'm not quite sure if you caught my meaning in my long winded above post. I know it's a pre-ban mag in the pics. I said,"So, using the pre-ban foreign steel mag in the gun, as it is pictured above". That's not the problem though. As I said before, I believe the mags that were included with this gun when it was sold were USA made plastic magazines, and I know for sure that the instruction manual says to use those mags in the gun specifically. The issue is that when these guns were converted into what they are by IO (or Century, I'm not sure who actually put the furniture on it), they needed to be made 922r compliant to be legal. The US made magazines provided with the gun counted as three compliance parts (The body , follower, and floorplate). I am somewhat certain that these were not built 922r compliant without counting the inclusion of the US promags. So, it doesn't matter if the steel mags are pre or post ban, it matters that they do not count as the three compliance parts. If I am correct, the gun could easily be made to be legal while using the steel pre-ban magazines by replacing the trigger group (trigger +hammer + disconnector =3), but in it's current state the gun would be illegal to use with those steel pre-bans. You get me ?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Understood i will check into it further but that gun was NOT assembled in the US there is no Inter ordanance markings and only says made in Romania. I believe it is a pre-ban but will do more home work i am LEO exempt on the Magazines so if that is the case i will purchase some Magpull plastic mags. I will check with my FFL for what i need to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Understood i will check into it further but that gun was NOT assembled in the US there is no Inter ordanance markings and only says made in Romania. I believe it is a pre-ban but will do more home work i am LEO exempt on the Magazines so if that is the case i will purchase some Magpull plastic mags. I will check with my FFL for what i need to do.
This is not a pre-ban AK. According to this PDF on Inter Ordnance's web site, "Inter Ordnance, located in Monroe,North Carolina, imports new Romanian semiauto AKs and converts them to the Wieger design. Mainly, the conversion consists of replacing the fore-end, gas tube, buttstock and pistol grip, but the magazine wellmust first be enlarged to accept standard double-stack AK magazines. IO then installs the required number of U.S. 922r regulation parts and in the end has an AK variant faithful to the Wieger StG 940 design, except it's in 7.62x39"

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
even being a LEO you need to adhere to 922R I believe. its a federal thing that everyone has to follow. If it was a pistol then i dont think 922R would apply, etc.

That said...id just keep a US made mag, with the rifle. Or swap out the follower and floorplate on a steel mag with US made components.

Honestly, 922R isnt something thats EVER enforced. Unless your running a meth lab across the street from a school zone and orphanage. And at the same time smuggling children and producing illegal machine guns and suppressors. THEN the .gov will possibly hit you with a 922R violation.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cant afford to risk it so i would switch over what needs to be done no biggie~

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That said...id just keep a US made mag, with the rifle.
Seriously ? So rather than make the simple and legal part replacements needed to make it legal , you'd just keep a US mag nearby and plan on .. what ? Hoping noone notices the other mags sitting right next to it ? What a devious and genius plan.

Or swap out the follower and floorplate on a steel mag with US made components.
Sure, except that first of all only makes two parts out of a required three. Secondly, why the hell would you change a perfectly functioning magazine with parts not nearly so easy to obtain seperately as other common compliance parts, which may even negatively affect it's function ?

Honestly, 922R isnt something thats EVER enforced. Unless your running a meth lab across the street from a school zone and orphanage. And at the same time smuggling children and producing illegal machine guns and suppressors. THEN the .gov will possibly hit you with a 922R violation.
Argh.. just.. no.. 'nuff said.

Cant afford to risk it so i would switch over what needs to be done no biggie~
Quite right my man. Given the furniture that rfile is already wearing, a Tapco G2 group will run you about about $30, is simple to install (I could do it in my sleep), and solves the issue completely.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Well being this is an ordnance inc. AK it would already be 922(R) compliant wouldn't it guys? They can't just start selling rifles off that aren't technically legal no matter how often a 922(R) is enforced. They might not be marked but this whole issue may not even BE and issue, it may have US parts that aren't easy to identify (gas tube, piston, dust cover, recoil spring etc....) take it to a gunsmith or something and have them look at it, I wouldn't put off buying it even though this thread makes it seem like a very huge problem, this is a unique and from what I have read a good quality AK variant.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
You think having the rifle, without a US magazine installed in it, makes it illegal or the fact you have a preban Euro mfg mag nearby somehow makes it illegal? Your only technically breaking the law when you take a non-US mag and insert it into the rifle. Having the rifle sit there without a mag in it is still legal, so is having a mix of Euro and US made mags near it.
When you have a dozen AKs, and some came from the factory with a US mag, and others with Euro mags, yet all are 922R compliant, you cant get charged, based on the fact you COULD take a Euro mag and stick it into that one or two AK rifles that you shouldnt or you would make an illegal foreign assault weapon. Its not constructive intent for 922R as it is in regards to things like SBRs or whatever else.

I suggested to use 2 of the 3 parts of the US mag, as they are cheap fixes to the 922R compliance for US parts. Sure you CAN swap a gas piston....but whats the point of spending $20-30 when you have a .50 cent floorplate sitting there already that you have on hand? Gas pistons are a PIA to start swapping out. Many US made ones arent even US marked. I cant tell you how many "US made" pistol grips and gas pistons i bought in the past that have ZERO marks showing "US" or "Made in the USA".

"Argh.. just.. no.. 'nuff said." in regards to 922R not being enforced?
No one to my knowledge has ever...ever....ever in the entire United States been yanked from the shooting line, or pulled over, and their rifle ripped apart checking for "US" stamped, while the sheriff, state trooper, or concerned citizen counts the foreign vs domestically made parts on a rifle.
If anyone is disassembling your rifle looking for "US" marks, and knows 922R, chances are your in a much much deeper and serious situation than a simple 922R violation....Thats why I made mention of being looked into for making illegal machine guns, dealing crack and child trafficking.

922R is a tack on charge for people who are committing much larger and serious crimes. Kind of like Al Capone. couldnt get him on other serious crimes, so they get him for tax evasion.

Before anyone advises on what US parts to install, we would really need to see the manual or look at the rifle and each part to see what is really US made and whats not. Old century AKs had "Century" mfg FCGs, yet none were marked. THEN they switched to G2s, and luckily they were externally marked.

Seriously ? So rather than make the simple and legal part replacements needed to make it legal , you'd just keep a US mag nearby and plan on .. what ? Hoping noone notices the other mags sitting right next to it ? What a devious and genius plan.

Sure, except that first of all only makes two parts out of a required three. Secondly, why the hell would you change a perfectly functioning magazine with parts not nearly so easy to obtain seperately as other common compliance parts, which may even negatively affect it's function ?

Argh.. just.. no.. 'nuff said.

Quite right my man. Given the furniture that rfile is already wearing, a Tapco G2 group will run you about about $30, is simple to install (I could do it in my sleep), and solves the issue completely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts