New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome back Steyr Aug. Is this rifle legal in New York State? Seems they updated the tulip flash hider and I've seen it called a "break" in the literature. Maybe it will take less modifying this time around. Let me know what you think

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
prebans are legal with the tulip FH or it needs an actual brake, not just the tulip flash hider. A2 flash hiders in military manuals are referred to as muzzle brakes...doesnt mean they are muzzle brakes as NYS has deemed them to be FHs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hearing a lot of chatter were looking at 1800 on the low site and 2k on the high side. MSAR is looking around 17 or 1800 which seems to me to be price suicide on their part. I'll take an authentic Steyr anyday.

G

·
Don't be too quick to overlook the MSAR.

The quality is top notch and performance is good.
Compatability with standard AR magazines is a real plus.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
One thing to consider, is MSAR was having some financial difficulties at one point and product support was all but gone. Have they recovered from this?

Don't overlook the FS2000 if you've got your heart set on a 5.56 bullpup

·
Registered
167 Posts
The newest model, the AUG A3/SA, is perfectly legal in NYS as long as you have a compensator on it instead of a flash suppressor. The original AUG may be banned by name, but because this one has a different designation (AUG A3/SA), it gets a pass. It's similar to how new Colt AR 15's are not affected by the ban due to their modern designations: AR6720, AR6721, AR6450, and so on. It further goes to show how trivial and pointless our state laws are.

By the way, Steyr USA has teamed up with Vltor to manufacture new AUG receivers and should be available through Ratworx sometime this month. NATO stocks will also be offered either separately or pre-installed, allowing you to use regular STANAG mags instead of the rarer AUG mags.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I had a Microtech. I got the run around for over a year on a broken product only for them to tell me tough luck. Then they declared bankruptcy.
Nice products , $hit company with ZERO support. Pass or find a Steyr..

·
Registered
79 Posts
On the subject of European bullpups, did anyone ever make a US-legal civilianized FAMAS clone?

Edit: Never mind. CAI imported/made a few in the late '80s, it turns out.

G

·
Speaking of rare bull-pup rifles, it's hard to find one of these; SA80 w/SUSAT sight.

FWIW, MSAR has reorganized and have taken steps to correct prior failures in customer service.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Speaking of rare bull-pup rifles, it's hard to find one of these; SA80 w/SUSAT sight.
Aren't there only something like 5 in private hands in the entire country? I'd love an SA80 with SUSAT, it's my #1 most desired firearm of all time. Not the best combat rifle but there's just something about them. Resigned to never owning one though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts