New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to figure all of this out on how to go about purchasing an AR-15 that is out of NYS. I do Live in NYS (Rockland County). I am looking to buy an AR-15 but all of my local stores prices are currently through the roof for anything AR related. Is there any way for me to purchase via Gunbroker ? I was under the presumption that "I" as in ME was able to purchase online as long as it was shipped to a my locacl FFl/Dealer/Gunsmith and then they can get convert it to be Complaint with the 'Act". Then I was recently told No that can't be done since "I" cant buy anything online that is not Complaint the Act while I live in NY.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think it depends on the LGS, but many would likely not agree to that for their own "safety."

You can buy a lower receiver via places like Brownells, Palmetto State Armory, Dark Storm Industries, Allstar Tactical, etc. The Lower is the "firearm" and the only part that needs to be sent to a LGS. Dark Storm Industries also sells NY AR-15's.

I won't bore you with the rest of the details of building an AR unless your interested.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Go to your dealer and do the background check for a stripped lower, either buy it from them or transfer it it. Then get out the credit card and go online and buy all your parts. My advice would be to get a complete upper then a lower parts kit and whatever stock that you want. The cheapest "safe act" mod would be fixed mag top loader because you can uses any upper you want. A featureless upper will add cost and be harder to get. Just my opinion good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it depends on the LGS, but many would likely not agree to that for their own "safety."

You can buy a lower receiver via places like Brownells, Palmetto State Armory, Dark Storm Industries, Allstar Tactical, etc. The Lower is the "firearm" and the only part that needs to be sent to a LGS. Dark Storm Industries also sells NY AR-15's.

I won't bore you with the rest of the details of building an AR unless your interested.
Talk away, I'm very interested. It looks like a lot of fun. I found a lot of lower's on Gunbroker as well as Uppers, and Combo Upper & Lowers that come in a set. i wouldn't have a clue what else would be needed to complete the rifle besides some of the obvious barrel, butt stock trigger...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Talk away, I'm very interested. It looks like a lot of fun. I found a lot of lower's on Gunbroker as well as Uppers, and Combo Upper & Lowers that come in a set. i wouldn't have a clue what else would be needed to complete the rifle besides some of the obvious barrel, butt stock trigger...

Stripped lower, lower parts kit (includes trigger, mag release, etc), buffer tube, stock, fixed mag kit and you have a complete lower ready to add any upper you choose.
Very easy to put together a lower there are multiple step by step guides with videos and instructions as well as tool lists. Heres the one I used

DIY AR-15 Build: Introduction, Parts and Tools Required : ITS Tactical

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I went on Gunbroker and found New Black Rain Fallout 15 Upper Lower Receiver Set : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com its an upper and lower. Would the FRS-15 (FRS-15 WITH ENHANCED BUFFER TUBE COVER) fit into something like that ? And is it possible to get a standard barrel with no thread on the end that will fit into the upper & lower combo ?
FRS would fit that, but for the price of the that upper/lower combo you could almost build a complete rifle. Talk with bullet guy he will take care of you. Gotta be careful on GB, theres alot of no-name knockoff stuff on there. Personally I wouldnt build the upper on my first build, build the lower and buy a complete upper seperate. You can get complete uppers shipped right to your door (no FFL needed).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
1- Buy complete upper receiver of your choice*
2- Buy bolt carrier group and chaging handle (if not included with upper)*
3- Buy Optic or backup sights (If not included with upper)*
4- Buy complete lower receiver and have shipped to NYS FFL. Take possession and then install ARMR2, T nut, or other option to make magazine fixed.
4A- Buy stripped lower receiver and have shipped to NYS FFL. Take possession.
4B- Buy lower parts kit.*

* means can be shipped directly to your home without the use of an FFL.

That is basically your options for purchasing a complete rifle in NYS with any and all features you want, aside from the detachable magazine. A NYS dealer can not take a full rifle and make it compliant then transfer it to you unless they have a manufactering license.

They can however transfer a semiautomatic, detachable magazine, collapsible buttstock, lower receiver. It is not yet semiautomatic because it isn't a fully assembled rifle yet. So they can still transfer it, then you can install the ARMR2 or T nut. That makes it legal for you to add the upper to the lower. I did this and went through a local FFL. I'm very happy with my new full featured (except for detachable magazine) AR15.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I found a LGS that is selling complete rifles with the MR2. I would really like to purchase one, but the confusion over its legality is causing me to pause. It is kind of scary that you can buy one right at your local shop, but if it is not legal then you are screwed. This is very confusing to the guy who does not keep up on all the law changes.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If the common man cant understand the law how can it be legal? If the letter of the law says one thing,and the police who will enforce it say another how can it be legal. If it was passed in the middle of the night without any review how can it be leg

We dont have the obligation follow illegal laws. And i dont believe we need the Supreme court to tell us that it is illegalou can get in some trouble for noncompliance. I honestly feel that is the beat option.
This law doesnt pass the sniff test. But with an MR2 you can at least say you tried to follow the law.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes, the laws are poorly written and, with the right lawyer, you could probably make the argument that it is legal. However, the ambiguity means that a police officer may not be sure or may be misinformed, and then once your rifle has been taken (correctly or incorrectly), they have to be sure before giving it back. That means, at minimum, lots of time, but could also require a court case, which costs time and money. It's sort of like "sometimes doing the right thing ain't doing the right thing." Being technically right doesn't mean that the process will favor you. It would be great to have some guinea pigs go through all of that, but not everyone is willing to be such a creature.

Personally, I'd say that a welded magazine or closed well is clearly OK (black and white, so they say), but the MR2 is a little too gray. I feel the same way about the Hammerhead when the stock is on the tube (California configuration), not coming out of the Hammerhead, itself (New York configuration.) To me, the Hammerhead is not a pistol grip, so either configuration should be fine. However, the New York configuration is a little less in the gray area. I would have gone with the California configuration, as I feel that it is the closest to having a traditional AR, but I preferred the FRS-15 over the New York configuration.

For anyone wondering, Thordsen will ship to an out-of-state seller for install prior to shipping to your FFL. If you use a reputable seller (capable of installing it and pinning/welding the thread protector), then this is one way to get a NY compliant rifle that more closely meets your needs.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I found a LGS that is selling complete rifles with the MR2. I would really like to purchase one, but the confusion over its legality is causing me to pause. It is kind of scary that you can buy one right at your local shop, but if it is not legal then you are screwed. This is very confusing to the guy who does not keep up on all the law changes.
Do you know if these have the washer installed and if the screw is welded or epoxied so that it can not be removed?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Do you know if these have the washer installed and if the screw is welded or epoxied so that it can not be removed?
I went to the guy he is talking about he is in Carmel, they are installed without the washer in traditional MR2 fashon if its the same dealer. Very ballsy indeed.........almost all the ARs I seen sold on dealers shelfs were top loaders or featureless

1 - 19 of 19 Posts