New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks... I'll start by saying that I've read through some of the posts that came up via search about steel as used for targets.

I want to make use of a steel plate for the backstop. How do you figure out what is the correct thickness for the cal. you are shooting or want to shoot and the the proper angle etc. for it?

What I'm looking to shoot:

12 and 20 gauge
.22 LR
9 MM pistol
40 cal rifle
44 mag.
5.56 / .223 from my AR.

I have a place close by that can supply the steel plate but I need some more info. as to what to buy.

Using a steel plate would be easier right now. And after reading about using tires filled with sand / dirt I'm now a little skeptical even though I have a whole load of tires just waiting to be used for such. Guess it might have been a waste to get those tires now.

Anyway thanks for the insight. Just trying to get this figured out and see what it will cost me for this little project.

Dean

G

·
I’d suggest the use of AR500 steel plate. Mounted on an angle 0.500-inch thick should suffice.

One sheet 8-feet wide by 24-feet long will cost around $4,400.00.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Not quite done smokin the tires off my Trans-am but you can have them when I'm done. Seems alittle cheaper than 4,400...lol

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
If you are going to shoot a rifle caliber at it, AR500 is the way to go. You may not need an 8x24 foot sheet though. ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah and a sheet that big you would need a cran to put it in place.HAHA I would agree you should use AR steel if its just for you to shoot at it maybe a 4x4 peice would be fine. You dont need much of an angle just enough to make the bullets go down.

G

·
Yeah and a sheet that big you would need a cran to put it in place.HAHA I would agree you should use AR steel if its just for you to shoot at it maybe a 4x4 peice would be fine. You dont need much of an angle just enough to make the bullets go down.
Actually the angle is intended to increase the aspect of the armor thickness. With AR500 struck perpendicularly the rifle bullet disintigrates.

bullet impact (slowmotion) / extreme cool - YouTube

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I don't need a sheet that big. Can't afford a sheet that big anyway.... I'm thinking a 4x4. Gotta relay this info. to my potential supplier and see what he can do for me....

·
Registered
549 Posts
kmussack that is correct the angle of the steel can make 1" plate become 2 or 3" by ajusting the angle of the plate,but with steel targets the angle is also used to push bullet fragments downward into the ground. It lessons the chance of ricochets.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yeah I don't need a sheet that big. Can't afford a sheet that big anyway.... I'm thinking a 4x4. Gotta relay this info. to my potential supplier and see what he can do for me....
Let us know the price when you find out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Waiting on his response. Once I told him I was looking for AR500 he questioned the ammo I was going to use due to the expense of such steel. Like I said I'm waiting for this response. I have a feeling he is going to try and convince me of another type of steel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts