New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
A lot of ranges will not allow it, check with them before you use it there.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
To expand on the line up of already present correct info above, the law regarding penetrator/armor piercing ammunition is found in the section covering, and only applies to, handguns not long guns.

EDIT:
PEN 265.01 ~ 18
"Armor piercing ammunition" means any ammunition capable of being used in pistols or revolvers containing a projectile or projectile core, or a projectile or projectile core for use in such ammunition, that is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of any of the following: tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or uranium.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
To expand on the line up of already present correct info above, the law regarding penetrator/armor piercing ammunition is found in the section covering, and only applies to, handguns not long guns.

EDIT:
PEN 265.01 ~ 18
"Armor piercing ammunition" means any ammunition capable of being used in pistols or revolvers containing a projectile or projectile core, or a projectile or projectile core for use in such ammunition, that is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of any of the following: tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or uranium.
Really? uranium core bullets?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Really? uranium core bullets?
Not only uranium, but depleted uranium. Which is why the military teaches soldiers not to "play" with shot down enemy aircraft and such, due to the potential for residual radioactivity. This is probably over stated, but they give the class nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Not only uranium, but depleted uranium. Which is why the military teaches soldiers not to "play" with shot down enemy aircraft and such, due to the potential for residual radioactivity. This is probably over stated, but they give the class nonetheless.
Ohhhh. I was going to say what kind of idiot would carry ammo that would kill them in 30 minutes of exposure.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Ohhhh. I was going to say what kind of idiot would carry ammo that would kill them in 30 minutes of exposure.
I assure you, the amount of radiation in a bullet would most definitely NOT kill you in 30 minutes. It's all about exposure level and time. The amount of radiation in a bullet would take YEARS of CONSTANT exposure to show any signs of any biological changes.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Or one busy range day or good firefight to get it started well on its way.

Its the airborne dust/residue that is spewed upon firing or kicked up later by traffic or whatever getting sucked in by breathing that does the damage, not fondling the rounds.

Lotta Desert Storm and other vets screwed up just from passing through areas where Abrams had been slinging DU hours to days to weeks earlier, let alone being actually present during the shooting. *

DU is kind of worthless as a bullet anyway, unless you're actually desiring a grainage a few times heavier than solid lead.
(150gr .223 anyone? You'd never be able to get enough powder behind it to throw it any meaninful distance let alone penetrate a hard target LOL)

Doesn't take to well to rifling either, hence its use in sabot and/or smoothbores.

Something not often brought up, unless of course some bleeing heart is talking about the plight of the poor impoverished and abused collaterals getting sick or birthing screwed up kids, but practically never in regard to US servicemen who had radically higher exposure levels and the results effecting them and thier families.
(you know, because they're baby killers who deserve everything they get and all that BS)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I assure you, the amount of radiation in a bullet would most definitely NOT kill you in 30 minutes. It's all about exposure level and time. The amount of radiation in a bullet would take YEARS of CONSTANT exposure to show any signs of any biological changes.
Well depleted uranium yes. But I was referring to enriched uranium which is why I thought it was very odd that it would be used as a bullet core since I believe 10 minutes of exposure to something the size of a pencil eraser would give you bone cancer.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
This thread is 100% hijacked, my bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Enriched uranium isn't regular uranium, either. If you had a few rounds of enriched uranium and you fired them all into the same backstop area, after an afternoon of shooting you might just get a much bigger explosive target on your hands than you wanted... ;)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Oh, you'd need WAY more mass and certainly much higher velocity to get the big surprise, not to mention having it hit in a precise spot, and most importantly, having the hunk on the receiving end compressed to some level well beyond 'mound of dirt' to create the pressure neccisary for an atomic burst. (you do know that the mushroom is the secondary explosion, with the primary explosion being conventional TNT compressing the larger of two radioactive masses just as the smaller hunk is shoved into it at hyper velocity to create a singular critical mass, right?)

Moot anyway as should you have enough to stuff even one mag DHS, FBI and any number of other alphabet agencies would be straight up your ass before you even got home with the stuff, or more likely even clearing the parking lot to try and leave for home, let alone get it home, fabricate it into bullets, load it into cartridges and haul it to a range over the course of days to weeks. Possibly even months.

Remember, it only takes about a softball sized chunk to do a Hiroshima+, and they are certainly going to keep track of quantities down to pencil eraser and less, even down to chips or other residue from thier proccessing it, let alone the golf ball to tennis ball sized hunk (dependant on the initial shape you're stuck with and the jntended machine processes to get bullet shaped pieces 'cause you ain't gonna melt and cast it with mapp gas and a iron ladle) you'd need to create 1 mag worth of 9mm

Then there is the whole body parts dropping off and contamination from smuggling out bits and peices let alone holding a fistful at a time in a handgun, let alone up near your head in a rifle.

But you're welcome to dream that little dream if it amuses you, and I certainly wouldn't want to crush a vivid imagination being used for entertainent purposes.

For humor its kind of cute like Bugs Bunny whacking the nose of a blockbuster bomb with a hammer I suppose, but from a reality angle, it ain't gonna happen in the dirt pile or backstop of a mere firearms range

EDIT:
Now that is how you highjack a thread Degenret :D

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Oh, you'd need WAY more mass and certainly much higher velocity to get the big surprise, not to mention having it hit in a precise spot, and most importantly, having the hunk on the receiving end compressed to some level well beyond 'mound of dirt' to create the pressure neccisary for an atomic burst. (you do know that the mushroom is the secondary explosion, with the primary explosion being conventional TNT compressing the larger of two radioactive masses just as the smaller hunk is shoved into it at hyper velocity to create a singular critical mass, right?)

Moot anyway as should you have enough to stuff even one mag DHS, FBI and any number of other alphabet agencies would be straight up your ass before you even got home with the stuff, or more likely even clearing the parking lot to try and leave for home, let alone fabricate it into bullets, load it into cartridges and haul it to a range.

But you're welcome to dream that little dream if it amuses you, and I certainly wouldn't want to crush a vivid imagination being used for entertainent purposes.
For humor its kind of cute like Bugs Bunny whacking the nose of a blockbuster bomb with a hammer, but from a reality angle, it ain't gonna happen in the dirt pile or backstop of a mere firearms range....

Remember, it only takes about a softball sized chunk to do a Hiroshima+, and they are certainly going to keep track of quantities down to pencil eraser and less, even down to chips or other residue from thier proccessing it, let alone the golf ball to tennis ball sized hunk (dependant on shape and machine process 'cause you ain't gonna melt and cast it with mapp gas and a iron ladle) you'd need to create 1 mag worth of 9mm

Then there is the whole body parts dropping off and contamination from smuggling out bits and peices let alone holding a fistful at a time in a handgun, let alone up near your head in a rifle.
^ that was my point when I first read "uranium" as a core but then I was notified about the depleted uranium core which I never even considered because most classes I was in used it as referring to nuclear power or strong radiation.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
The spelling mistake in the title of this thread is driving me completely insane.. OCD moment.. passing.. passing.. Oh, now it's back.

Nobody better be 'steal'in' MY core ammo !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts