New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should check with the range in Bayridge. They used to have some kind of reciprocity deal with Colonial--at least they used to, I haven't been there in a couple of years.

I've never shot at Colonial, but I know they do a lot of competitions. Bear in mind it is in a very remote location in Staten Island and that toll over the bridge is rough.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will definitely ask about reciprocity with Bay Ridge. I could actually walk to the Bay Ridge range from where I live, but I've been with West Side for years going back to when I used to live in Manhattan. West Side actually has the best price of them all, and the guys there are awesome, but it's tough to make that long commute to the city on weekends. So I was thinking about joining an outdoor club where I could shoot magnums and rifles. At the same time, though, that $13 toll over the Verrazano is ridiculous. It sure is expensive being a gun enthusiast in NYC.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Id be interested to hear about Colonial. I've wanted to join but the membership process seems daunting. I'd take the 13 bucks on the bridge to not sit in LIE traffic on the way to calverton...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Im going to visit both now that my licenses are coming through.
They are both located near each other and they both have initiation periods. Although one does allow you to pay extra to alleviate some of the requirements. I will post back after i visit both with my impressions. Post any questions you have. I will try to get the answers.
But both ranges do seem to be competition oriented

·
Registered
262 Posts
Planning on checking both out this weekend. First impression just from going on their websites and looking at the pictures posted
Richmond Boro looks like the nicer place to shoot.
Plus their site is updated so their shooting events schedule is current and printable.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry guys never made it out to either range. The weekend I had free I actually went with a friend out to the range in Nassau.
I am planning on getting there this Saturday. Since my comment about the website Colonial has updated their site and the schedule of events is up there now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Lab3,
any problems using your NYC permit n Nassau? Do you have your HAC?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I dont have the pistol license yet :(
only thing they seemed concerned with was what ammo we brought with us. Only 25 yd range.

I havent taken the hunters course yet either.
I plan on that and the utah ccw license as well

·
Registered
262 Posts
Finally made it out to the ranges. Both of them were pretty well maintained. Neither one jumped out and screamed run away so i guess thats good. They both hold competitions so check their calendars online.

Richmond Boro - 2 tiers of requirements for full membership. More shooting spot. Less members (2-300). Offers utah ccw and hunters safety course. Members that were at the range were friendly. No clubhouse but they have an indoor structure where they hold their meetings and classes.

Colonial - 1 tier of membership requirements for full membership. Less shooting spots. More members (4-500). They have a club house. Member that were there seemed very helpful. Answered a bunch of my questions.

At this point I had hoped to be leaning one wy or the other. Unfortunately I came away just as uncertain which I would join. I like the fact that colonial has more members (aka more people to learn from). Both memberships will take a few months to complete for full membership.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Final decision--
I will be applying to Richmond Boro Both clubs have the work party requirements and I was received well by both clubs. Both clubs seem very active based on their posted schedules. This really was a toss up for me but I will list the reasons I chose Richmond Boro below:

1) Their meetings are on the first Wednesday nights of each month and I can make them. Colonial has theirs second Friday of every month.
2) They have matches on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Usually .22cal so I can get my membership requirements done cheaper and faster and get a key to the gate :)
3) They offer the utah CCW and hunters course both which I want to do. So kill 3 birds with one stone.
4) Can also buy out my initiall work party requirements for an additional $200 as long as I state that in initiation meeting. Thinking I might do that

Only thing I was a little leery of is that rifle, pistol and pistol steel challenge ranges are all separate (good and bad)
At first I thought well I can't set up in two shooting points at the same time but then realized I also won't have anyone shooting a cannon off next to me while I am shooting pistol.

Hope that helps you guys near me.
Any other questions please ask and I will give you info if I have it
You can also googlemap both ranges to see how they are set up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the info, Lab3.

I already have my Rifle/Shotgun permit and hope to file for the handgun permit very soon.

Do you know of any ranges near us that allow shotguns?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I joined richmond boro on wednesday night. Going tomorrow for range safety and 1st work party. Not sure about westside. They might require slugs only. Both of the ranges out here allow shotgun. I got a 22 rifle simply to complete my membership shooting requirements done faster and i wanted a 22 lever action rifle anyway because its a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I must have gotten bad info. I'm also from S.I., but someone had told me the ranges don't allow shotguns.

Congrats on your membership. Hopefully I'll be joining soon once I get the handgun permit all squared away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I will doublecheck tomorrow when I go and post the answer. I also only have my rifle permit right now. Waiting on pistol too
I visited colonial and someone was shooting a shotgun there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sheeple

Shotguns are allowed at richmond boro they said just no birdshoot.
Got to shoot after work party as a few members stayed.
So I got my rifle sighted in at 50yds with the help of two of the members there. They were very helpful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts