New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Holy crap, the knife actually penetrated. Is that normal for your average BP vest?

Lucky indeed.
Bullet resistant vests are not usually stab resistant.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Holy crap, the knife actually penetrated. Is that normal for your average BP vest?

Lucky indeed.
Your typical vest (IIA, II or IIIA) that a patrol officer is going to be wearing is made of layers of fabric like kevlar or a similar material. The fabrics are great at stopping fast moving blunt objects but not sharp blades, in that respect it's almost no different than cutting through a folded up sheet. Now some vests allow you to add a strike plate to them, but even at that it's very localized protection. My vest has a 5x8 plate that covers basically the center of the chest.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As mentioned above, my plate will offer some protection to punctures, but the 'soft' portion of the vest will not stop most attempts to puncture it with a sharp object. It may help in a 'slashing' motion by taking the slice rather than your belly being sliced... but no promises.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Your typical vest (IIA, II or IIIA) that a patrol officer is going to be wearing is made of layers of fabric like kevlar or a similar material. The fabrics are great at stopping fast moving blunt objects but not sharp blades, in that respect it's almost no different than cutting through a folded up sheet. Now some vests allow you to add a strike plate to them, but even at that it's very localized protection. My vest has a 5x8 plate that covers basically the center of the chest.
As mentioned above, my plate will offer some protection to punctures, but the 'soft' portion of the vest will not stop most attempts to puncture it with a sharp object. It may help in a 'slashing' motion by taking the slice rather than your belly being sliced... but no promises.
Amazing. They can put people on the moon, but they can't develop a vest that stops both bullets and knives. Though, perhaps police run a higher risk of being shot at than being stabbed. I wonder what the statistics on that are. Most people won't bring a knife to a gun fight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Amazing. They can put people on the moon, but they can't develop a vest that stops both bullets and knives. Though, perhaps police run a higher risk of being shot at than being stabbed. I wonder what the statistics on that are. Most people won't bring a knife to a gun fight.
There's a nanotech material being developed. Basically when a foreign object applies pressure (such as a bullet), the material will converge, exceed the foreign objects density, and absorb the energy. The only problem is, who knows how many years it will be before LE/MIL get this stuff.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I think it would take more than a 4" blade to hit his lungs, too bad he didn't snap the little psychos neck.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
On average a person is about 9" thick front to back.
A 4" blade with force behind it can certainly reach halfway in and ding a lung, artery or heart.
Coming in from the side, like just below the armpit would require even less blade length for a lung hit.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
In before: Why didn't he shoot the knife out of his hand?

·
Registered
530 Posts
There are knife resistant vest called stab vests these have different material in them then bullet proof vests and are mainly purchased by correctional facilities to be issed to guards and related personell. The problem is gettig a vest that is bullet and stab resistant. The only way is to switch to a hard vest.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
On average a person is about 9" thick front to back.
A 4" blade with force behind it can certainly reach halfway in and ding a lung, artery or heart.
Coming in from the side, like just below the armpit would require even less blade length for a lung hit.
We're talking about Magilla Gorilla here not Pee Wee Herman. You better get lucky and make it count the first time, that's one thick dude.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Why was the teenager charged with attempted aggravated assault of a police officer? Since he did cut him, shouldn't it be aggravated assault?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Question: Is body armor legal of use regular subjects...I mean citizens in NYS? Sometimes I wouldn't mind a stab/knife proof vest...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts