New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Yeah, crappy situation for his family.

I heard the "Special Operations Response Team" and figured those were the guys that would be coming after the evil black rifle crowd in the coming years. Damn, I'm a paranoid person.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Its an awful way to go, you survived 17 years in the state police, but die in a training exercise..my thoughts to his family

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Walls in that gorge are shale and loose rock. Probably some of the worst stuff you could climb on.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
that sucks.... thoughts are with his family.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Awful accident. RIP.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
This is terrible, I was at Letchworth yesterday directly after the accident. I distinctly remember this trooper from a demonstration at the state fair I watched a few months back also. What a shame.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
From my work email:

IT IS WITH DEEP REGRET AND SADNESS THAT I MUST INFORM YOU OF THE LINE OF DUTY DEATH OF NEW YORK STATE TROOPER ROSS M. RILEY, ASSIGNED TO THE FIELD COMMAND - EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT - SPECIAL OPERATIONS RESPONSE TEAM.

TROOPER RILEY DIED AS A RESULT OF INJURIES SUSTAINED IN A FALL WHILE PARTICIPATING IN HIGH ANGLE RESCUE TRAINING AT LETCHWORTH STATE PARK IN WYOMING COUNTY, NEW YORK.

TROOPER RILEY, 44, WAS A DEDICATED 17-YEAR MEMBER OF THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE. HE WAS A DECORATED UNITED STATES MARINE AND IS A VETERAN OF THE PERSIAN GULF CONFLICT. HE IS SURVIVED BY HIS WIFE, HEIDI L. RILEY, SERGEANT - STATION COMMANDER OF SP OLEAN, AND THREE DAUGHTERS, AGES TEN, EIGHT, AND THREE.

ARRANGEMENTS AS FOLLOWS:

WAKE:

SUNDAY (11/24/2013), 4:00 PM-8:00 PM, AND
MONDAY (11/25/2013), 4:00 PM-8:00 PM
CASEY, HALWIG & HARTLE FUNERAL HOME
3128 STATE ROUTE 417W
OLEAN, NY 14760

FUNERAL:

TUESDAY (11/26/2013) AT 1:00 PM
ST. BONAVENTURE UNIVERSITY REILLY CENTER
3261 WEST STATE ROAD
ST BONAVENTURE, NY 14778

INTERMENT:

IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING FUNERAL
ST. BONAVENTURE CEMETERY
STATE ROUTE 417
ST. BONAVENTURE, NY 14778

DIRECTIONS TO WAKE:
FROM THE WEST:
INTERSTATE 86 TO EXIT 24. STATE ROUTE 417 EAST. FUNERAL HOME WILL BE ON THE LEFT.

FROM THE EAST:
INTERSTATE 86 TO EXIT 26. STATE ROUTE 16 SOUTH TO STATE ROUTE 417 WEST. FUNERAL HOME WILL BE ON THE RIGHT.

DIRECTIONS TO FUNERAL:

FROM THE WEST:
INTERSTATE 86 TO EXIT 24. STATE ROUTE 417 EAST. CAMPUS WILL BE ON THE RIGHT.

FROM THE EAST:
INTERSTATE 86 TO EXIT 25. SOUTH ON BUFFALO STREET. RIGHT ONTO CONSTITUTION AVENUE. STRAIGHT ACROSS STATE ROUTE 417 ONTO CAMPUS.

DIRECTIONS TO CEMETERY:
ST. BONAVENTURE CEMETERY IS JUST WEST OF THE CAMPUS. FORMATION ORDERS WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE FUNERAL.

ALL AGENCIES SENDING REPRESENTATIVES TO THE FUNERAL ON TUESDAY ARE TO PARK IN DESIGNATED LOCATIONS ON THE ST. BONAVENTURE UNIVERSITY CAMPUS BY 11:30 AM.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My sincere condolences to the family of Trooper Ross M. Riley - and to the New York State Police on their loss. That being said, training of this type is NEVER to be done without an adequate safety net in place. (OSHA standards) - I worked in the fire service for over 30 years and those were the standards we had to abide by. If no safety net was in use there is probably good cause for a wrongful death lawsuit here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts