New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off... I plan everything !, its kind of a problem.. My next 4 rifle/shotgun purchase are already planned out and now I am working on my pistol plan..

... I like to shoot.. alot.... but im broke. So ive come to appreciate the concept of practice with a .22lr platform that resembles its larger caliber counterpart. Example: .22lr bolt action savage trainer for its larger savage .308 brother. a sw mp15-22 for a sw mp15 sport. etc.

now I am torn... I love the look of the beretta 92fs and the fact that some of the prebans would be useable in a beretta storm when i find it.

however i also love the classic 1911 as well. and there are far more options for a dedicated .22lr 1911 and only conversions for the beretta 92. has anyone tried the ciener conversion for 92/96?

im sure everyone approves of the .22lr trainer concept so i guess im looking for opinions on which way to go... full 1911 w/ a .22lr companion? or just get the 92 that i want and buy a conversion kit...

to me the obvious benefits of having 2 separate systems is the standalone parts. however cost is a con.

benefit of the conversions is the ciener is cheaper than a 2nd pistol. however parts may be an issue and the fact you have to switch back and forth.....

are there specific pros / cons i havent thought about? what are your thoughts / opinions?

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
I would much rather have a .22 conversion on my everyday gun's frame. From a trigger, safety lever, ergonomics standpoint it just makes more sense to me to have the exact same system when practicing with .22LR. If you have two different guns, the triggers will NOT be the same and the feel of the safety levers, mag releases, etc. will not be the same either. I shot bullseye for a number of years and I had a Marvel conversion on my 1911, superb unit, extremely accurate and when I shot, I had the same trigger pull as when shooting .45 through the gun.
I think you are in Oneida Co., wondering if you have turned in your permit paperwork yet and if so, how long have you waited so far. The current wait seems to be around 11 months from paper submission. If you just submitted, you have lots of time to make up your mind. :(

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Have you considered reloading? I find it to be a good compromise. You will still pay 10-15¢ a round for centerfire ammunition, but its a lot closer than the 30-50¢ you can pay in stores.

On the topic of practice, I think you can get a lot of the benefit through dry-firing. The live fire portion is most beneficial when real world recoil is present. Shooting .22 is better than dry-firing, but not as good as shooting the real deal.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good point on the trigger, mag release smoothness and pressure required.... did not consider that. makes me lean towards a conversion...

as far as the chiappa is concerned i found quite a few bad reviews noteing weak parts and a long wait time for new ones and factory repairs. enough of them that it turned me off as i was considering the chiappa to compliment the 92fs...

as far as reloading. its in the long term plan lol... ill probably start with .223 first i have 3 gallon bags of shells to use.

Les: I have the paperwork but havent turned it in yet.... im almost done with nys corrections employment process and should just be waiting 6-8 months for the call provided they keep moving through applicants like they are now. havent spoken w/ my invest. yet to see if applying would gum up anything for the job. if he says no ill drop it off... i dont think it will. Oh and since taking the wife shooting. once i DO get a pistol ill be coming to greenway :) maybe even sooner. the nice green grass is looking better and better than dark woods and hard ground

1 - 5 of 5 Posts