New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful clear night, so out I go to see if the universe was all in order. Went with the idea of noting and identifying, but the whole of it left me overwhelmed with awe, sometimes it just works out that way, guess I wouldn't make much of a scientist. So I just stood, stared, and enjoyed all the feelings it all inspired within me.
Robin

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Hopefully will be doing that next weekend in Lake George. Makes me remember how insignificant we really are...

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does. Walking back I knew that somehow, I was better than before I went.
Robin

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
10pm on the night of new moon though..twasnt even real dark yet..(unless your not in NY maybe) I sooo enjoy doing what you have explained, but its always best when true darkness swallows up glow of far away house and town lights after 1130. Ps..to add to the joys of stargazing that skyview app is to cool and awesome for knowledge.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Can't wait for Betelgeuse to supernova. Supposed to be within our lifetimes and it'll light up the night sky for a few days if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Beautiful clear night, so out I go to see if the universe was all in order. Went with the idea of noting and identifying, but the whole of it left me overwhelmed with awe, sometimes it just works out that way, guess I wouldn't make much of a scientist. So I just stood, stared, and enjoyed all the feelings it all inspired within me.
Robin
Robin Galileo?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the 'Star Walk' app. I'll have to check out Sky view. Even here there is light pollution which takes away from the vivid clarity that I remember as as kid and a few places I have been where there is zero light pollution, but I have a pretty large back field that is surrounded by woods and blocks out most of the lighting that for some reason, farmers feel the need to run all night, and acts almost like a frame for a cosmic mural! Going out again tonight, though a little later. Hope I don't fall asleep and the skeeter's bleed me dry.
Robin Kirk

·
Registered
897 Posts
I love looking at the stars. I found this really cool app called Sky Safari Pro for my iPad so no matter where I hold my iPad, up-down-left-right, it shows the position of the stars at any given moment. Plus I tap on a star or a star cluster or galaxy it will let me zoom in on it and tell me things about it. They have it for Android too which is also pretty cool.
SkySafari Plus for iPad
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skysafari-3/id437108143?mt=8

SkySafari Plus for Android
https://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_android/skysafari_plus.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
I try to set up my tent at least once a month and spend the night in it looking up at the stars. Its amazing just how many shooting stars and other "interesting" things you can see. My son really wants a telescope, I am thinking it could be one of those father son bonding things. He's only 5 thou any recommendations on a starter scope? He really wants to see Saturn.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I try to set up my tent at least once a month and spend the night in it looking up at the stars. Its amazing just how many shooting stars and other "interesting" things you can see. My son really wants a telescope, I am thinking it could be one of those father son bonding things. He's only 5 thou any recommendations on a starter scope? He really wants to see Saturn.
Amazon.com : Orion 09007 SpaceProbe 130ST Equatorial Reflector Telescope (Black) : Reflecting Telescopes : Camera & Photo

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not a bad price for this Celestron, and a great starter at that. You can attach a camera to these too
Celestron AstroMaster 114EQ Reflector Telescope Planetarium Software Tripod New 050234310420 | eBay

Or this one from BEST BUY is another good one. (BB sells on eBay also)
Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ Newtonian Reflector Telescope 050234210492 | eBay

Or just go to Best Buy
Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ Newtonian Reflector Telescope 21049 - Best Buy

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I remember very fondly a few nights of winter camping with the scouts where it was crisp and perfectly clear, and we'd lay out in the snow in a field and stair at the stars. It was breathtaking.

Winter stars are definitely better because the air is so dry.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts