New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so , whats everyone use for charging handles? standard, BCM oversized, promag mfg, badger latches, or?

I cant see paying $45-70 for a complete new charging handle when it seems the $10-15 in parts and 5 min of work yields the same kind of result.

btw, ETA: funny....

"SOG Armory" latch is the same as the promag. But of course you pay a slight premium due to their claim 54353 govt agencies and branches use the SOG armory one...

"SOG Armory" version
http://vtsupply.com/sog-armory-ar15-charging-handle-tactical-latch.html

Promag version
http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1554

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i ordered a badger latch should be here tuesday ill let you know.
i gotta figure out what ive got on my one AR which has an extended latch. No markings / info on it. Works great though. So much easier to grab the charging handle, particularly one handed (left) of course.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
When I did that to mine I got a whole new handle. That little roll pin was a pain to get out of the original and I figured a spare would not hurt. :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
When I did that to mine I got a whole new handle. That little roll pin was a pain to get out of the original and I figured a spare would not hurt. :)
I was wondering if it was possible to reuse that pin. I thought about pulling mine and mig weld a custom piece to fit me better.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I've heard of pins breaking on those various kits for charging handles...i'd get the BCM if I was going to do it.

" With this scenario, the entire operation becomes contingent on the sheer strength of this tiny 1/16" roll pin, and its' ability to take continuing blows. Repeated and forceful support hand only racking of the charging handle eventually can lead to breaking the roll pin and loosing the latch completely."

BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle, GFH Mod 4

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I was wondering if it was possible to reuse that pin. I thought about pulling mine and mig weld a custom piece to fit me better.
Mine came out burred and looking like hell because it took so much to get it out.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I don't think you could weld it because of the type of aluminum it is. There's a few types of aluminum that can't be welded and most charging handles are made of one of them along with uppers/lowers.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a big latch bcm I need to sell

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Big latches are a must have IMO, the whole charghandle, I dunno. I changed both and little pin is a mjor pita

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
BCM Gunfighter

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just to make the noise, that BCM up there in the 1st post is an older generation.
Recent one has a shoulder around the are that curves around the upper receiver to stop gas blowback better.
(see difference on handle to right in pic)

Latch has subtly changed too. (both in pic are gen 4 for example)

Suffice to say there's a huge difference between a BMC Gunfighter charging handle and a (insert name) tactical latch.
The latch is a lever in a bag that may or may not increase strain on the rollpin (the Badger above definitely does) while the BCM is literally a whole different mechanism with lever and handle having a special and deliberate interface to reduce the pin strain to something right around zero.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Just to make the noise, that BCM up there in the 1st post is an older generation.
Recent one has a shoulder around the are that curves around the upper receiver to stop gas blowback better.
(see difference on handle to right in pic)

Latch has subtly changed too. (both in pic are gen 4 for example)

Suffice to say there's a huge difference between a BMC Gunfighter charging handle and a (insert name) tactical latch.
The latch is a lever in a bag that may or may not increase strain on the rollpin (the Badger above definitely does) while the BCM is literally a whole different mechanism with lever and handle having a special and deliberate interface to reduce the pin strain to something right around zero.
^ THIS I had a badger ordanance and it eventually bent and once bent it stopped functioning right. The BCM is more solid construction. I just picked up to AXIS charging handles to try out.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
That's a standard charging handle with a variation of the latch shown in the 1st post installed.

Not even close to 'equally as good' as a BCM

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
So you've tried both? This is from experience, right?

Side by side test right?

PSA vs. BCM?
So you've tried both? This is from experience, right?

Side by side test right?

PSA vs. BCM?
I have.

Like many things in the AR market, it really depends on how or even IF the gun will be used. If the gun will be used for training courses, or for someones employment or even if a shooter is very active in competitive shooting, then entire C/H replacement is a good idea. The standard ones do work, and with the right latch they can be very viable, but with the wrong latch they are easily bent and or broken. The BCM units are stronger all around, from the type of material used to the design of the latch system. Heck even steel charging handles can be found in the market as some guys have bent an aluminum one and now only use steel.

If you are building a gun, and you have a choice to make on either a complete BCM or a standard unit with an aftermarket latch, and you want to run the gun hard, I suggest a BCM, a nordic or even a steel unit.

If you are building a gun that will be shot once a year and have lots of pictures taken of it for "online street cred" any C/H will probably be fine.

There are places you can "cheat" to save a few bucks in a build, however a part that is required to clear the gun and even make the gun function should not be one of the parts where you cheat.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steel? Eh no thanks

Running a steel $30-45 piece in a $150-200 aluminum upper seems like just asking for trouble

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have.

Like many things in the AR market, it really depends on how or even IF the gun will be used. If the gun will be used for training courses, or for someones employment or even if a shooter is very active in competitive shooting, then entire C/H replacement is a good idea. The standard ones do work, and with the right latch they can be very viable, but with the wrong latch they are easily bent and or broken. The BCM units are stronger all around, from the type of material used to the design of the latch system. Heck even steel charging handles can be found in the market as some guys have bent an aluminum one and now only use steel.

If you are building a gun, and you have a choice to make on either a complete BCM or a standard unit with an aftermarket latch, and you want to run the gun hard, I suggest a BCM, a nordic or even a steel unit.

If you are building a gun that will be shot once a year and have lots of pictures taken of it for "online street cred" any C/H will probably be fine.

There are places you can "cheat" to save a few bucks in a build, however a part that is required to clear the gun and even make the gun function should not be one of the parts where you cheat.
Thank you for the firsthand knowledge!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts