New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to give out your social security number to purchase a shot gun or pistol in New York State?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
No. But you have to give all your address data of course along with your mental history, arrests, convictions (if any) and citizenship status data.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Do you have to give out your social security number to purchase a shot gun or pistol in New York State?
No - not to purchase. But providing it may help to prove your identity, and speed up the process.

Note that purchasing a Pistol Requires a Permit, and you may need to provide your SS# to obtain one.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
SS# says "optional" next to it on the ATF 4473 form.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I tried it once without proving my ss for a long gun and it did hold up the process. It took 2 days to get back to them. Since then I provide the ss and it's a matter of seconds to clear.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I always provide my SS#. I always get "further review" but then it clears without having a call back delay.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here in NYC you need to give your Birth Certificate, SS Card (Original), fingerprints, afidavit from any co-habitants (Notarized), DNA and Hair Samples...And that is just for a LONG GUN PERMIT! Ok, that last one may not be true, but still you get the idea...

·
Registered
810 Posts
No. But you have to give all your address data of course along with your mental history, arrests, convictions (if any) and citizenship status data.
I just filled out the info sheet again this past Sunday the 6th when I bought my long gun and what meketrefe said is correct. No ss# required, the LGS employee might tell you it will speed up the phone call to ncic but it doesn't! Leave it blank!!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I just filled out the info sheet again this past Sunday the 6th when I bought my long gun and what meketrefe said is correct. No ss# required, the LGS employee might tell you it will speed up the phone call to ncic but it doesn't! Leave it blank!!
It's not a lie the LGS is telling you. If you have a somewhat common last name, and you don't provide your SSN then you can be put into NCIS waiting status for a few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts