New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a month ago i go a ruger sr9c. i have shot it on several occasions hand have about 400 rounds through the gun. everything works great besides one problem. the trigger does not reset sometimes. the gun ejects the spent shell and chambers a new round perfectly fine but the trigger will stay back. at first i felt it was user error and sometimes i still feel as if it is because at times i can make it happen if i try to. it seems if i try to hold the trigger back as the slide cycles it will stay back even after relasing but other times when i shoot proper it still happens. to get the trigger to reset i simply rack the slide and it resets, but on two occasions i had to rack the slide more than once to get the trigger into firing position.

do you guys think this issue is simply the way im shooting or an issue with the firearm. any help/ advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the gun. I would not fire it again until a competent gunsmith or the factory looked at it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i had the same exact problem with mine. called ruger, they had me send it back in.
they replaced my slide and several other parts, and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean it lately?
i clean it after every time i shoot. the last time i gave it an extra good cleaning thinking that may help but it did not.

i had the same exact problem with mine. called ruger, they had me send it back in.
they replaced my slide and several other parts, and haven't had an issue since.
looks like that is what i will have to do. did it cost you anything? how long did they have your gun for ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sound advice. Stop. Call the factory and have them address the issue. The last thing you need is a uncontrolled discharge.

·
Registered
810 Posts
i clean it after every time i shoot. the last time i gave it an extra good cleaning thinking that may help but it did not.

looks like that is what i will have to do. did it cost you anything? how long did they have your gun for ?
If the gun is new it should still be under warranty and cost to you should be only the shipping to the factory..You do not need an FFL to ship it to the factory, you can do this yourself if you did not know this. Like some have said here do not continue to use the gun as you could have a misfire that injures you or someone standing close by. Not sure of Rugers turn around on repairs, but I am sure if you ask them they will be able to tell you.

·
Registered
868 Posts

If you are the original owner Ruger will most likely email you a paid shipping label to use...
I have heard Rugers turn around times are very quick, I know of a few people who have sent them in on a Monday and have gotten them back on Friday.
Keep in mind Ruger has no writtin warranty but they usually take care of any problems free of charge.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This is SUPER common with Rugers SR series after about 300-500 rounds. Mine did the same thing. Call Ruger, they will pay for shipping and have it back to you in about two weeks, then it will never have a problem again.

They replace some parts with "stronger" versions. Why they don't ship them all with that I don't know. Do some searching, this happens to SR9/cs and SR40/cs all the time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
good informative thread. wife owns one, so, now I know the deal if it happens.

thanks! :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on monday they emailed me the shipping label and i shipped it out on tuesday, they recieved it on wednesday and yesterday i got a phone call from them saying that they have my firearm and its been checked in and assigned to a tech for repairs. and was also told repairs should take between 7-10 business days. turn around time does not seem too bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've never had a problem with my SR9c but I'm really curious to see how this turns out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
recieved my sr9c back from ruger today. havent been able to shoot it yet to make sure the issue is fixed but i am please with the great customer service.

here is a recap just incase anyone has to do this same thing you will know what to expect:

Monday 6/11 - called ruger and they emailed me a ups shipping label (overnight shipping) so i did not have to pay to ship
Tuesday 6/12 - went to a UPS location and sent the gun back.
Thursday 6/14 - got a phone call from ruger just to inform me that they received my gun and it has been checked in and assigned to a tech. was told at this point repair time was around 7 business days, and when it was finished i would receive an email from UPS with the shipping information
Monday 6/18- received email from UPS with the shipping information
Wednesday 6/20 - UPS delivered my gun

in the case i sent my gun back in was a piece of paper stating that the trigger reset bar was replaced. it then goes on to state that 40 rounds were fired through the gun and no malfunctions occurred. hopefully today or tomorrow i will be able to test it out myself and see if the issue is resolved. overall i am very happy with the customer service, very helpful and nice people i talked to, amazing turn around time (1 week 1 day), and no cost to me.

hope this helps others that may have this issue also

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That is consistent with what I experienced as well, except I had a longer turnaround time. Been a thousand rounds since then with no issue.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I picked up Scotchman's Sr9c from him Thursday, i put about 600 rounds through it over the weekend. No problems of any kind.

I used to have a really bad opinion of Ruger Centerfire semi-autos. After using this all weekend i loved it. The sr9c is comparable to a glock26 or an m&P 9c in my opinion. I think that in the future Ruger may be more of a force to be reckoned with. Trigger was very good, ergonomics were very good, i even surprised myself with how well i could shoot it, when i used the magazines with out the finger grip extension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have put over a 1000 rounds through my sr9c and have not had any problems (knock on wood). I am definitely interested to found out the outcome.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gun shot great. problem seems all fixed and i couldnt be happier with it. love the way it feel in hand and how well i can shoot it

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
You do not need an FFL to ship it to the factory, you can do this yourself if you did not know this.
Is this true? Learn something new everyday.

To OP, I agree its a problem with the gun. Fine for the range, I wouldn't carry for self defense until you get it fixed. I had to send a S&W 60 back to the factory 3 times until they got it right (timing problem with FTF). Send it back to factory and don't accept it back until it works the way it should. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
gun shot great. problem seems all fixed and i couldnt be happier with it. love the way it feel in hand and how well i can shoot it
That's great news!! I love mine and may purchase the sr40.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts