New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this post up in another forum last year and recently discovered it again.

I thought I would share it with you guys, it is how I occupy some of my days in the dead of winter after all the seasons close and there is no work to do.

The only season open here now is red squirrel (it never closes), and I am a pretty firm believer in if you kill it you eat it. With the exception of some of natures nastier varmints like ***** and yotes etc.

This is how I fix red's for eating, grays are much bigger and can be cooked like a rabbit.

First thing is first, you need a pile of squirrels. I would have had 6 but I must have flinched.

Then you need to peel the skin back on the bottom half and around the legs. No need to completely skin them you only going for that meaty back leg, the rest is for the birds. Cut the foot off with wire cutters and cut around the hip socket with a knife, give it a quick snap and the socket will separate leaving you with something that looks like a tiny chicken wing.

It is about 99.9% likely that you will get some hair on it, it washes right off with cold water.

Then you need three bowls, one with flour, one with milk and one with bread crumbs. Coat them all with flour until there is no wet spots on them, then dip them one at a time in milk and roll them quick in bread crumbs.

After they are breaded and ready to go preheat some oil on medium heat and toss them in. Cook them to golden on both sides and remove them. It only takes maybe 3 or 4 minutes per side.

Then let them cool for a minute or two and enjoy them with your favorite dipping sauce. Don't eat the bone either.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
What does red squirrel taste like? I always thought people didn't eat them because they taste bad. I've eaten gray squirrel. Taste anything like that?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Dumb question, not enough meat on the body or forelegs to eat?

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
hahahah. I really don't know what to say. On one hand, I think it's cool that you're at least not letting it go to waste...on another hand...bleh. I guess I'd try it on a dare or if I was starving to death. At any rate, you sir are freaking awesome.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Grey squirrel is good eating. Never new anyone who ate reds. We make a stew out of greys. Almost that time of year again. :)

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
hahahah. I really don't know what to say. On one hand, I think it's cool that you're at least not letting it go to waste...on another hand...bleh. I guess I'd try it on a dare or if I was starving to death. At any rate, you sir are freaking awesome.
I agree with you on the most part but you have to remember they are part of the rodent family so they need to be exterminated now and then.

James

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I used to shoot red squirrels at my old house, boy, good thing they were in season!, nasty little bastards, never thought to eat them

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Tender if you make a stew. Like any meat, long slow cooking will break it down and make it tender.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just the hind legs are like a dark turkey meat if you pan fry them.

I have tried the front quarters with practically no success.

They are about 1/4 the size of a good gray squirrel and little bastards. Good target practice on a winter day, but I figured I would make something out of them if I was going to take a life.

A good sized grey can be cooked just like rabbit, much whiter meat.

·
Banned
583 Posts
Tender if you make a stew. Like any meat, long slow cooking will break it down and make it tender.
Well that would just be cheating, Hell you could put a 2x4 in one of those crock pots with cream of mushroom and eight hours later eat it. GRIN:

·
Registered
54 Posts
You outta try marinating squirrel like you would spiedies and cook them on the grill that turn out pretty well. Every since I started waterfowling I have pretty much dropped squirrel hunting. But I could go for the spiedies or stew. I think I will have to go this year.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Based on your title I thought you were gonna have a Buffalo Wing Sauce in there somewhere. But now you got me thinking about Buffalo Style Squirrel Wings.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Lot's of great memory's hunting squirrel with my Dad and how I tought my boys on guns and hunting, And Man deep fried with some frank's hot sause is the best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts