New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Springfield/Savage model 238A (20 ga. Bolt action) and the bolt will not function properly, I would shoot it and the bolt would be very hard to open and to eject the shell. There is some rust in the barrel but it would also have trouble opening even without a shell in it.
What should I do or what should I buy to fix this issue

·
Registered
162 Posts
It’s a very basic shotgun. I would suspect the magazine. Remove it and try the action first. Do a deep soak in breakfree and cleaning of everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thing is, I don’t have a magazine for it. I bought it from my boss man so who knows where the magazine is. The pin hole for the trigger is too big for the pin, and the trigger moves around a lot. I figured the the trigger is catching on the bolt not allowing it to come back very easily. I’m thinking about but a new pin and using that, but I don’t know if that will fix all the problems I have with it

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, if there are indications such as pin holes and pins and etc, etc such as you say you have a issue right there. The trigger group alignment may be affected by the pin. Replace the pin with the correct size and try it - best with a magazine in it. Parts are usually available from Gun Parts Corp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the things I need are out of stock on numrich are out of stock and brownells don’t have any parts for that gun. I’m going to keep looking for the things I need. Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The CPG mag is fine for this and shows in stock. The trigger pin shows in stock at $2.75.
What else are you looking for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked when I bought the gun. Honestly I thought about buying a whole new bolt assembly but it was out of stock. Do you mind if I get your number really quick and we can communicate otherwise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
the thing is, I don’t have a magazine for it. I bought it from my boss man so who knows where the magazine is. The pin hole for the trigger is too big for the pin, and the trigger moves around a lot. I figured the the trigger is catching on the bolt not allowing it to come back very easily. I’m thinking about but a new pin and using that, but I don’t know if that will fix all the problems I have with it
Have you tried putting a slight downward pull on the trigger as you work the bolt? If it get easier to open then the pin/aliment as suggested is probably the problem.If it doesn't, you may have some build up of crud or rust in the trigger and/or bolt parts that needs to be cleaned out. With firearms sometimes just a couple 1000th of an inch can mean the difference between a working and non-working gun when it comes to the internals.

If you cannot find the proper trigger pin, you may have to make one. If you cannot hand-fit a steel one yourself (sometimes the shaft of a long drill bit will work), I suggest making a "dummy" out of an aluminum rod which will be easier to work with, then once you have it, take the dummy to a machine shop have have them reproduce it in hardened steel for you. Then you can just cold blue it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
No, communication here is best. Going for a new bolt is a stretch. Personally it sounds like you jumped into buying this and may throw more money at it than it’s worth if you start throwing random parts at it. Use some critical thinking, I don’t know what you paid but you should also think about your safety when buying vintage firearms. Improperly fitted parts may have a disastrous outcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The safety is also an issue. I might replace the whole safety being that when I shoot it, the safety slides forward even a slight bit the bolt won’t open. even if I don’t shoot it, the bolt won’t come back with the safety remotely close to safe.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That safety was an inherent problem on all of the Springfield Stevens. Not just the shotguns. A new safety has to be fitted by a gunsmith or it’s a hit or miss proposition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts