New York Firearms Forum banner

Springfield Armory XDS 9mm

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  burnetma 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get opinions of the Springfield Armory XDS 9mm. I have read positive reviews online. Does anyone own one or have experience with the XDS line?

-ElCamMan515

#3 ·
I have XDs in 45 and love it. No experience with 9mm BUT I can't imagine it being that different then 45acp version besides extractor and barrel.

#6 ·
Any specific reason for the XDS? There are other, some might say better, pistols that are slim single stacks like that.

#7 ·
I checked on out in the LGS. Seems like a nice gun, but it is about the same size as my Walther PPS. Since it kind of fits the same role as my PPS, I couldn't justify getting one, and I really love my PPS, so no way I'd ever trade a XDs for one. (Also, my PPS is a .40. Where's the XDs .40?) But, I'd say the same thing about a bunch of the new slim guns. Shield, Nano, etc.

#9 · (Edited)
I shot an XDS in VT during my recent range trip there and liked it a lot... shot a lot of pistols that day and it stood out as a nice pistol. Can't remember if it was 9 or 45, but if it was 45 it felt like it kicked like a 9... and if it was a 9 it felt like the recoil wasn't bad at all...

ETA... ok the XDS was a .45, but not the pistol I was thinking of, i think the one that felt great was the XD.

Sorry for the mis-post... shooting 10-12 different pistols in one day (the first time i ever shot a pistol) left my mind swirling...

The little pistols seemed to kick more than the larger ones, and with the shorter sight radius i was not nearly as accurate...

#10 ·
Shot one last night at the range. Nice gun, much slimmer than my XD subcompact. The trigger has an all together different feel than the XD, seems like the trigger pull is heavier.

#17 ·
Well good thing about XDs is that finally unlike XD and XDm you can rack the slide without pressing grip safety, it makes the gun little more friendly for 1 hand drills and overall operation.

As far as the Shield, I have 1, the thumb safety is DUMB, it's flushed within the frame so it's very hard to press it up/down and pretty much impossible with gloves on. Carrying a Shield with safety on is dangerous and will get you killed.

#21 ·
I looked into the pps and was turned off by the blackstrap removal which causes gun not to work. Just seems like an extra part to malfunction. Do you have any idea what happens internally to cause it to stop functioning?

thanks

#23 ·
I looked into the pps and was turned off by the blackstrap removal which causes gun not to work. Just seems like an extra part to malfunction. Do you have any idea what happens internally to cause it to stop functioning?

thanks
I completely agree. That, and the odd magazine design, are the only weaknesses of the gun.

The backstrap serves as a decocker, so that you can disassemble the gun without pulling the trigger. There is no risk of it coming off during normal firing, but most people do not recommend using it to disassemble the gun because you will cause wear on the parts. If you try the two backstraps, decide on one, and never touch it again, you can have complete confidence in the gun.

One other thing to consider is if you lock the slide back before changing the backstraps, it seems to require a lot less force. There are dots you line up when putting it on, and if you do everything right it is a very simple operation.

Ultimately, each gun has a down side. Manual safety I don't want, grip safety I don't want, and backstrap decocker I don't want. Of the three, the backstrap seems the least likely to cause a problem.

#25 ·
I just picked up a XDs 9 and ran it through 200 FMJ (5 brands) and 50 Federal HST +P without a single hickup. Very good accuracy and quick back on target. It is an absolute hoot to shoot.

I would highly recommend to anybody in need of a sub-compact CC handgun. I plan to add it as a back up gun to my P239 in 357 Sig.

#27 ·
I just picked up a XDs 9 and ran it through 200 FMJ (5 brands) and 50 Federal HST +P without a single hickup. Very good accuracy and quick back on target. It is an absolute hoot to shoot.

I would highly recommend to anybody in need of a sub-compact CC handgun. I plan to add it as a back up gun to my P239 in 357 Sig.
I ran another 50 FMJ through it today. Still haven't cleaned it. 100% reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.