New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the People's Republik of New York differentiate between a spring assist and an auto knife? Is spring assist legal and auto illegal, or are both illegal?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It's a pretty gray area just like all the other bull**** in NYS.

Switchblade Knife

The New York legislature defines a switchblade knife as any knife with a blade that opens automatically by pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife. A gravity knife is defined as any knife with a blade that is released from the handle by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and when released, is locked in place by a button, spring, lever or other device.

Pilum Ballistic Knife

A pilum ballistic knife is defined as any knife with a blade that can be projected from the handle by pushing a button, spring, or other apparatus on the handle of the knife.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
They sell Kershaw's speedsafe and CRKT's "outburst" models here in the buffalo area so I'd say they are legal. Some online retailers may not ship them here because they are idiot morons <cough>amazon<cough>. NYC is of course a whole 'nother facist animal.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Spring assisted knives are legal in NYS. Automatic knives are not.

I have a Kershaw scallion in Damascus.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Spring assisted knives are legal in NYS. Automatic knives are not.

I have a Kershaw scallion in Damascus.
I thought autos are ok if hunting or fishing? And in nyc I think spring assisted my be considered a gravity knife which makes sa illegal in nyc... but dont quote me on that.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I thought autos are ok if hunting or fishing? And in nyc I think spring assisted my be considered a gravity knife which makes sa illegal in nyc... but dont quote me on that.
Yes, Hunting and Fishing I believe are an exemption. As for NYC, no idea. They are so far out that non spring anything knives can be gravity knives. I only know about NYS.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Beautiful knife. Can't be opened by a button here in NYS though. (Barring exemptions.)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I tried to buy a nice auto knife from a gun store in Westchester. They would not sell to me and told me I was wrong about the hunting/fishing exemption.

Now I do edc a sog trident which is a fast spring assist. Even in NYC, just no clip exposed. Good luck getting the blade to drop with gravity. I would like to watch some dick cop try.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I tried to buy a nice auto knife from a gun store in Westchester. They would not sell to me and told me I was wrong about the hunting/fishing exemption.

Now I do edc a sog trident which is a fast spring assist. Good luck getting the blade to drop with gravity. I would like to watch some dick cop try.
Got to NYC and they will do just that. The precedent is seriously ANY amount of force to open the blade without touching it, it's a gravity knife there. They could probably tie one end of a rope to the bumper of a passing bus, and the other to the blade, and hold on the the handle. If the blade opens on the green light, you get arrested.

And this makes us safer how?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
the key phrase of penal code 265 in regards to knives is, " any dangerous knife " that little jem of verbage in the law leaves the door wide open to charge you if he so wants for any knife, sure it may get dropped and dismissed but your still going to get cuffed and a court date. if for whatever reason a cop wants they could potentially arrest you for a swiss army knife

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Its most likely all discretion... stupid NY laws.

Any folding knife can be a "gravity" knife. I used to EDC a Recon 1 that with just the right flick opened up. That was a sweet knife.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Remember the most important aspect of carrying a knife.

ITS A TOOL, NOT CARRIED FOR SELF DEFENSE OR PERSONAL PROTECTION, EVER.

·
Registered
825 Posts
They sell Kershaw's speedsafe and CRKT's "outburst" models here in the buffalo area so I'd say they are legal. Some online retailers may not ship them here because they are idiot morons <cough>amazon<cough>. NYC is of course a whole 'nother facist animal.
It really doesn't matter what they sell here in new york state. I've seen just about everything you could imagine for sale locally with the exception of ballistic knives. I would never base the legality of knives upon what they have for sale because what they're offering isn't legal for certain individuals to even possess in one's dwelling. Just because they're selling it doesn't mean much. Having said that, your own choices should be made for yourself. A switchblade is a bit more dangerous when it doesn't have a safety carrying it around in your pocket anyways. A balisong makes an excellent EDC knife and they have been deemed NOT to be a gravity knives in NY state. Watch what types of blades you have though, daggers stiletto, and karambit type blades are a no no in NY state, plenty available and in the assisted variety too, still not legal.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
the key phrase of penal code 265 in regards to knives is, " any dangerous knife " that little jem of verbage in the law leaves the door wide open to charge you if he so wants for any knife, sure it may get dropped and dismissed but your still going to get cuffed and a court date. if for whatever reason a cop wants they could potentially arrest you for a swiss army knife
and if arresting is too much paperwork/hassle for them, they can just "confiscate" whatever knife you have in the interest of public safety.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Pressure has to be put on the blade to open it for it not to be an auto or gravity as far as I know.

So assist knives are legal because you have to push on the blade to get them to open. Not so sure how that works in NYC since it's full of freedom trampling idiots who don't know what a tool is.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
It really doesn't matter what they sell here in new york state. I've seen just about everything you could imagine for sale locally with the exception of ballistic knives. I would never base the legality of knives upon what they have for sale because what they're offering isn't legal for certain individuals to even possess in one's dwelling. Just because they're selling it doesn't mean much. Having said that, your own choices should be made for yourself. A switchblade is a bit more dangerous when it doesn't have a safety carrying it around in your pocket anyways. A balisong makes an excellent EDC knife and they have been deemed NOT to be a gravity knives in NY state. Watch what types of blades you have though, daggers stiletto, and karambit type blades are a no no in NY state, plenty available and in the assisted variety too, still not legal.
i would strongly advise not to EDC a balisong, most cops are not aware of that ruling nor do they give a damn. Although balisongs are not specifically named in the sub-section of 265 the " any dangerous knife " can be used to get you for carrying one if caught. i know firsthand as i had to fight a CPW4 charge just for having a butterfly knife in the console of my car during a traffic stop as my car was being searched by an overzealous trooper, charge was ultimately dropped but i was arrested and had to hire a lawyer to fight lt. they're legal to posses ( at home ) but not for carry. Spring assist's are good to go state-wide except for NYC

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Pressure has to be put on the blade to open it for it not to be an auto or gravity as far as I know.

So assist knives are legal because you have to push on the blade to get them to open. Not so sure how that works in NYC since it's full of freedom trampling idiots who don't know what a tool is.
I was browsing one of the police boards looking for info on this very topic a while back. From the tone they took and posts they made, getting a "collar" (as they call it) for this stuff is on about the same level as getting an extra $5,000 in your Christmas bonus. They didn't discuss the law too much, but I DID see a lot of "I'll tell you what I'd do"s and "If X happens, I'm putting them in cuffs. Period."

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I was browsing one of the police boards looking for info on this very topic a while back. From the tone they took and posts they made, getting a "collar" (as they call it) for this stuff is on about the same level as getting an extra $5,000 in your Christmas bonus. They didn't discuss the law too much, but I DID see a lot of "I'll tell you what I'd do"s and "If X happens, I'm putting them in cuffs. Period."
that annoyed me when I read it... that whole "im the law, and youll do as i say" attitude is for the birds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts