New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday for a bit of shooting. I got about a 100 rounds of spent PMC Bronze .223

Is it worth anything?

Normally I shoot 7.62x54R and 12 gauge which can't be reloaded. However I heard different about the .223
I'm going to be shooting .223 pretty consistently, so I will have more down the road. If its not re loadable, then I will just junk it.

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Worthless junk, send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

Seriously, it is reloadable and if you're going to start shooting .223 you might as well be stocking up on all the brass that you can.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I just sold 200 223 cases for ten cents each. The steel cases are generally not reloaded but the brass has a market.

And btw - 7.62x54R and 12 gauge CAN both be reloaded.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Anybody who reloads is always looking for range brass, you can at least trade it for something you need. I pick up all the 9mm, 45acp, and .223 at the range I can find, never can have enough because it does go bad from time to time.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If it is a brass case and boxer primed, it is reloadable. PMC is boxer primed, and as a bonus does not have a primer crimp either IIRC.

Not much money value right now, but if you buy a box of CCI #41 primers and put those brass and primers in your sock drawer, the next time some headcase shoots up a public place and there is a run on ammo you will have people beating down your doors to buy it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just sold 200 223 cases for ten cents each. The steel cases are generally not reloaded but the brass has a market.

And btw - 7.62x54R and 12 gauge CAN both be reloaded.
Well the 7.62X54R I shoot is either bulgarian surplus or the occasional PPU. Both are brass case, but I was told that it wasn't reloadable because of the primer. Something about berdan or boxer primer. The 12 guage is typically plastic case.

Usually I just go to alabama swamps and shoot a bunch. I pick up the spent casing because I don't like littering, but I've just been throwing the stuff away.

I don't plan on reloading, but if it's something worth keeping that someone is interested in, then I will hang on to it.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I don't plan on reloading, but if it's something worth keeping that someone is interested in, then I will hang on to it.
I never planned on reloading either, and along came SAFE. Now I wish I had the tens of thousands of cases that I could have kept over the years. They'd come in quite handy.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Well the 7.62X54R I shoot is either bulgarian surplus or the occasional PPU. Both are brass case, but I was told that it wasn't reloadable because of the primer. Something about berdan or boxer primer. The 12 guage is typically plastic case.

Usually I just go to alabama swamps and shoot a bunch. I pick up the spent casing because I don't like littering, but I've just been throwing the stuff away.

I reload 2-4 boxes of 12 gauge per week to shoot trap with. I have seen guys pay 5 cents each for the once fired hulls, but only certain barnds. In general they sell for 1 - 2 cents each so it is not worth shipping them. I'd say if you ever plan to reload 12 gauge, save them for yourself but they are probably not worth selling.

7.62x54R is reloadable. The Boxer primed cases are uncommon and worth probably 25 cents each. The Berdan primed are probably worth only 5 cents each because not many of us reload Berdan primers. Some of us do though so I'd save them. Beyond that the brass itself has salvage value just as scrap metal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Brass only becomes a rare and expensive metal when you are shopping for bathroom fixtures!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If if your not going to reload, I believe you can bring them to the scrap yard and get some money. I've never brought them to be recycled. I prefer to keep them in their current occupation.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If if your not going to reload, I believe you can bring them to the scrap yard and get some money. I've never brought them to be recycled. I prefer to keep them in their current occupation.
He's got about $2.20 worth of scrap brass.
About $8 worth of spent cases for reloading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts