New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my batting average is pretty good! Out of the six permit applications that I handed out over the past couple of months, it looks like we're going to have six new permit holders!

My neighbor just went to get his fingerprints last week, the system was down and he went Saturday morning to get them.

I just mailed in reference letters for two of my friends last week. We met them for a couple cocktails and good cheer last night, and my wife and I made plans with another couple to take the safety course this month so that they can get their paperwork submitted.

I've been quietly urging my wife to get her permit for a few years now, and she has always been receptive but has been pretty slow on the paperwork so I was very pleasantly surprised when she jumped right in there and made plans to get the class. Told her I'd go take it again with her, too, and we all agreed that we're going to get into a class as soon as possible. Going to call tomorrow to check availability!

She just told me that she sent the link to the Pistol Permit office/application to someone she was talking to about it recently, so it's pretty cool to think how you can make a difference. If each of us could help just one other person get educated and permitted, we've probably done more for our rights than any pandering politician ever really has.

So 3 apps already in the queue, and three more on the way. Pretty good start!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Maybe you can answer a question, I just met someone from Onondaga and he most recently added a gun to his plastic permit card and when he got it back it had "spotsman" restrictions. I told him that he may have gotten the old "c*ck block" by the judge. He said he still has his old permit with the unrestricted on it. I gave him the info for this site but figured I would dig around myself to try to find some info to guide him. What's the normal situation out there when getting amendments? He said there was not a new judge as far as he knew?

·
Registered
242 Posts
So they gave him a new card with the gun he added to it but he still has the old card? Sounds like someone at OCSO messed up. They have to account for the old cards when a new one is issued.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
No, he still has his old paper permit I think? He made it sound like they issue a new card every time he amends the permit and after adding a gun he noticed the sportsman restriction. I was looking for info if this is the norm? How is the judge there?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
In Orange Cty they just mail you a new card. I have a stack of old ones accumulating. That $uck$ about restricting license when amending to add new gun. I've read about that happening to others, but usually its tied into a different judge or changing counties. I would check with permit office, it might have just been an administrative error when processing the amendment; if not write a letter to judge a request new restriction to be removed. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Please stop. The wait to add stuff to my permit is bad enough as it is!

Onondaga County needs to open another permitting office somewhere. Preferably not downtown in the ghetto.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No, he still has his old paper permit I think? He made it sound like they issue a new card every time he amends the permit and after adding a gun he noticed the sportsman restriction. I was looking for info if this is the norm? How is the judge there?
With the old paper permits they just type on them to add the gun. They give you a coupon but I'm not aware of any other card???? There are 4 judges in Onondaga County. You don't get a choice on who approves your permit. It's like playing roulette.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
With the old paper permits they just type on them to add the gun. They give you a coupon but I'm not aware of any other card???? There are 4 judges in Onondaga County. You don't get a choice on who approves your permit. It's like playing roulette.
Maybe that is the problem? A different judge. But he made it sound like he did not have to wait to get the amendment changed, on the spot. You have to wait? Like I do in Saratoga County?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maybe that is the problem? A different judge. But he made it sound like he did not have to wait to get the amendment changed, on the spot. You have to wait? Like I do in Saratoga County?
No there is no wait. The Judges don't handle the amendment like other counties. The OCSO's civil division handles that. You can walk in and be out in a few minutes with your updated license and coupon.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe you can answer a question, I just met someone from Onondaga and he most recently added a gun to his plastic permit card and when he got it back it had "spotsman" restrictions. I told him that he may have gotten the old "c*ck block" by the judge. He said he still has his old permit with the unrestricted on it. I gave him the info for this site but figured I would dig around myself to try to find some info to guide him. What's the normal situation out there when getting amendments? He said there was not a new judge as far as he knew?
Wow that's news to me. I sure hope I dont have to go through that this year when I add my next. That's the first time I had heard of this with the new cards. I heard some stories a few years ago about this happening but nothing recently.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I went to the OCSD to have new pistol added to license yesterday during lunch break. The whole process took fifteen minutes, I just walked in and filled out the amendment form paid my $3 and the deed was done. Since I work and live in Syracuse, what some would call the ghetto. I was able to walk to the pistol unit register the gun and back to work with time left over to eat an apple.
While I was there I asked about two things first, I asked about 22LR conversion kits and was told that yes I would need to document the kit with the license unit and no it did not need to come through a dealer.
My next question to the pleasant and cooperative Deputy Sheriff was could I make an application appointment for my wife while I was here. Well I could so I asked for the next available time slot. Here is the surprise; the next available time is in the last week of December 2012. So I made the appointment thinking by waiting would only make it longer to get in.
So if the typical time to wait after submitting your application is 4 months, mine did, my wife will get her license 1 year from now. I had to wait a total of 10 months. The application period is becoming longer and longer and excessive. Some of this delay is from no shows on appointment dates the deputy would tell you, some from only processing 5 or 6 applications a day. The rest is from what?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Someone needs to sue Onondaga County. Their "waiting period to apply" policy is complete BS. I suspect that with proper backing, this policy could be changed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DECEMBER? That's incredibly poor policy from our county. Whether a dog license, a marriage license, recording a deed - or a permit to own a handgun - our government needs to process all of these things in a timely fashion. That's what we pay our taxes for. (isn't it?)

·
Registered
106 Posts
wow, only took me 15 minutes to add a gun to my original Onondaga paper license. They just typed the gun and serial # on, I paid $3 and that was it. This was August 2011. Others have told me if the number of added guns exceeds the area on the paper license they just add a page. I have not been asked to change to a plastic license.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey! Three of the six just got their approval letters in the mail. The last one (referred to above getting his prints done in April) just got his letter this morning in the mail. Two others (husband & wife) received their letters last week. Hooray for them! Let's get a few more!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts