New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know the State of New York as well as the Federal Gov't is always looking for ways to get more and more money.

Now a theory popped into my head the other day. It may be nuts but here goes....

Since there are many gun owners in NY, and even more thoughout the United States that hold their rights so deeply. The minute that a ban is threatened they purchase as much as they can, and most likely above what they can. They purchase months/years worth of items in the fear that they cannot be purchased freely in the future though legal means.

Sales Tax (State Level):

Has anyone thought about the idea that NY wanted to pass strict laws on gun control to force a buying panic? Think how many extra firearms were sold in the last few months, Now think of all the extra for those firearms (cases, optics, magazines etc) then finally the thousands of rounds of ammunition, reloading supplies, reloading equiptment etc and even extra gun safes that were purchased in such haste.

By forcing this panic buying something has been very profitable for the State of New York: Sales Tax. How many extra Millions in sales of goods were there in NY in the last few months/weeks due to this event? Could this have been a stragety that we all played right into to fund the State of New York to help them out of financial hardship?

Then, on top of this the State Income Tax on all the vendors that sold all these firearms/etc.

Then, the extra payroll taxes taken out of the extra hours worked by employees at these LGS.

How many Millions have been made in a fast period of time for the State of New York?

Federal Level (Income Tax):

How about the President threatening strict gun laws/bans? Now states like NY have gone crazy, and so has the US in general. Has anyone thought about how they could have planned this to generate a ton of extra revenue in Income tax from the retailers of such products? Retailers falling in higher than normal Income tax brackets, allowing the Federal Government to collect larger portions of Income tax? Extra payroll taxes paid on those extra employees to fill all those orders and manufacture all those extra parts/ammuntion?

How many new jobs were created on the short term level from this even as these companies have years worth of orders to process in a short period of time? Does this help the terrible unemployment rate statistic?

Could Obama be thinking this could help him show that he is getting the county out of debt? Could Obama be thinking this could help his Unemployment Stats?

I haven't seen this topic brought up and I thought it might bring interesting discussion. I thought it may be a fun subject to think about. I'd like to hear everyones thoughts.
Could there very well be more to all of this than just they want to take the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Buying online circumvents NY collecting any money...I've heard..

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Remember.. the money makers always backed both sides. Why make money off one group when you can double it by causing two groups to pit against each other.

Get the Group1 to think we're trying to destroy the planet so they go full-retard on eco-green-granola everything. When some money is squeezed out, make a move to implement what's been mentioned.
Get the Group2 to think they're rights are going to be taken away. When some money has been squeezed out, make a move to implement what's been mentioned.

Three things happen here.
1. Group1 fight's against Group2 and Group2 against Group1
2. Multiple waves of money squeezing and pointing fingers
3. War. <= this is where the real money is. The run up is just a bonus.

·
Registered
905 Posts
sorry, don't agree with your theory. i see it as just as a get on the anti-gun pc movement. yes for the last 2-3 months great revenue has been generated but if you get around to many gun shops the walls are bare and dealers are dealing with the trickle in effect. then (in ny) the laws come into play which will reduce what inventory they can stock. it will be some time before 7rnd mags will be available for new handguns so a lag in sales there. i hope for the dealers sake's that they saved their "hysteria" money to carry them over the coming drought.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
sorry, don't agree with your theory. i see it as just as a get on the anti-gun pc movement. yes for the last 2-3 months great revenue has been generated but if you get around to many gun shops the walls are bare and dealers are dealing with the trickle in effect. then (in ny) the laws come into play which will reduce what inventory they can stock. it will be some time before 7rnd mags will be available for new handguns so a lag in sales there. i hope for the dealers sake's that they saved their "hysteria" money to carry them over the coming drought.
The theory is plausible. If you look at some of the companies that the big-money anti's invest in, you'll see things like "Colt" and "Remmington". Don't take my word for it...
Democrats Vilify Guns, Own Stock in Gun Companies

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, to add another thought, since this is a great point (and what I have thought about on the other side of the argument).

New laws, means people will have to find a way around the law to have what they want. It's not like everyone with a black rifle is going to go cut it in half.

Those new laws in a way are good for economic growth, because they will cause new engineering to occur, and new manufacturing with a new line of products. It will keep us all sharp and on our toes, to re-invent the wheel.

Also with that new product (7 round magazine) how much more will that handgun or rifle cost now? The state would like these to cost as much as possible, so they can get as much Sales tax as possible. If that magazine went from $10 to $50, That's a increase in local/state sales tax revenue of $3.20 per magazine. Most people will buy a few for their new toy.... 5 magazines that's $16 on each gun sale extra.

Charging a fee for background checks for private sales of firearms. This is not a tax excempt thing there. So for them to mandate this, They will get their 15.4% Employeer tax (fed) 10-28% Income tax (fed) 5 or so % (sate) + 8% sales tax (4% local, 4% state of course depending on your county).

That's 38.4% on the low end for something like a FFL transfer. (assuming it is total profit pushed through payroll for a company).

Standard FFL fee I've seen is about $45 per transfer. That's a whopping $17.28 in tax per transfer.

Plus with a broke state/fed what's better than the "cash now" cash infusion of tax dollars. - I know I can do more debt wise with a lump sum of cash than small amounts.

Your point is a good one, but this is my counter argument I guess :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buying online circumvents NY collecting any money...I've heard..
Maybe on the state level, but on the Federal Level if those panic buyers are buying for years at a time, they are pushing extreme amounts of federal tax into the fed's pocket. Lets say a small company that sells ammuntiion (mom and pop kinda place) makes 45k a year. They aren't taxed so high. So for them to make 45k each year over 5 years worth of ammunition sales the fed is making money. But what is better that to push 3-5 years worht of sales into one? Pushing them into the highest taxation bracket, for maximum fed profiting. It's food for thought.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Power is more important to them....if it was money people could still buy evil rifles
I agree, Power is more important to them in a way. But the basis of new gun control laws to me is the new basis of specialized taxation. Maybe in the next years we will see for a $500 tax stamp you can buy that black rifle. Maybe that's another thought.

... or maybe i'm just a paranoid idiot and maybe they aren't in it for the money at all.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
It's always about the money. Always.

Bloomberg's soft drink laws? How much more tax is paid on 2 smaller bottles of beverage than on one, less expensive larger one?

Follow the money.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a firm believer that money buys three things in the USA:

1. Money buys Power
2. Money buys Freedom
3. Money buys Happiness.

Maybe i'm just another paranoid over taxed business owner though :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
He may have created a temporary buying frenzy sure but what about future tax revenues? He's basically cut out a ****load of future revenues. I don't see how in the long run NYS would come out ahead and I don't think he's a complete idiot either.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He may have created a temporary buying frenzy sure but what about future tax revenues? He's basically cut out a ****load of future revenues. I don't see how in the long run NYS would come out ahead and I don't think he's a complete idiot either.
He's got that covered in my mind since its not like everyone will stop buying at once. With all these new toys we still need more ammunition to shoot them. Right? We still will buy that new deer rifle when time comes. We still want those "parts" for the black rifles to enhance them. Also what about all those future transfer fees since there soon will be no private sales?

I know in the last few months i've bought a few firearms I wanted (I changed my life style so I could afford to purchase them), and a lot of ammunition (not too much maybe a few thousand rounds mixed caliber) but i'm constantly looking for more and more if its in stock anywhere at a decent price. I check every week to see if certian stuff is in stock, if so I'll buy a box or two even if I didn't get out shooting, I guess i'm stock piling, but i'm not over buying in my mind. Then when all the haste settles i'll get a lever action rifle, and a new over under shotgun. Lots of ammo and others to go with that, even just another two gun cases.

It's not like I bought those new firearms to never shoot them :). I'd say i'm shooting more than I did 2-3 years ago. Or... maybe that's just getting involved with this fourm that has led to me buying so much and shooting more? Overall not a bad thing!

But I have thought about your point as well. I just feel that people are becoming even more active in the gun community now than ever. There are way more new people getting involved now than there was in my point of view, all which will buy over their life time (maybe i'm wrong here).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.