New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun Owners of America
[HR][/HR]

It wasn't the first time that virulently anti-gun New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried to pick the bones of a national tragedy for political advantage.
But pick he did.

And now every anti-gun zealot in America is trying to use the Trayvon Martin incident to repeal pro-gun laws, such as Florida's Stand Your Ground Law.

The New York Times, always a toady for anti-gun causes -- put it this way:

"As the [George Zimmerman] case proceeds, the Stand Your Ground law should be on trial as well. It has invited gun owners to flirt with vigilantism..."

In other words, anti-gun zealots would take us back the "bad ol' days" in 2003 -- when a 78 year-old man was taken through the wringer by the legal system because he shot a man breaking into his trailer.

Or a 71 year-old-man was almost destroyed by the legal system because he used a gun to defend his 63 year-old friend against thugs who were trying to rob him.

In fact, in the four years for which we have statistics since the Stand Your Ground law was passed in Florida, homicides have dropped by 16.1%.

This is faster than the national average.

This means that many -- perhaps hundreds -- of Floridians are alive today because criminals have had to pause before robbing or killing them.

And, in most cases, they have had to pause not because a victim pulled a gun, but because the killer didn't know whether or not the victim had a gun.

But make no mistake about it: Florida will be the test case to see whether anti-gunners can use the threats of riots and lynching's to force repeal of America's pro-gun laws.

We have to stop their threats in Florida.

And we need to do this by getting Governor Rick Scott to agree to veto efforts to repeal Florida's Stand Your Ground law.

Because, if we don't the anti-gun laws -- the threats of riots -- the vigilante justice -- may soon be coming to a state near you.

I hope you will take a minute to sign your Gun Owners of America petition to Gov. Scott urging him not to repeal laws that protect your right to self-defense.

No one knows exactly what happened in the Trayvon Martin incident - and we may never know. But the fact is that your gun rights will be on trial in the courtroom in that case.

That's why it's important that gun owners from across the country make their voices hear loud and clear.

Click here to sign the petition to Florida Governor Rick Scott urging him to reject efforts to gut the right of citizens to protect themselves.

The anti-gun lobby has billionaires like Michael Bloomberg and George Soros to fund their battles. And believe me, they truly believe they have an opportunity to repeal Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws in many states, and they are even pushing to repeal concealed carry laws.

The billionaire club will stop at nothing to push their anti-self-defense agenda. After all, what do they care about your gun rights? They can afford as many armed security guards as they want.

But we have something the other side does not have: millions upon millions of grassroots gun owners who will let the politicians know that they will be voted right out of office if they dare to undermine our sacred right of self-defense. It is with generous contributions from activist such as you that we can engage in this fight.

So today take just a moment to sign the GOA petition.

Sincerely,
Tim Macy
Vice Chairman

PS - Even if you don't live in Florida, it's important that you sign the petition. If Florida's laws are weakened, you can be sure that the same thing will begin to happen in other states.

Billionaires Michael Bloomberg and George Soros are after your gun rights like never before. The battle starts in Florida , as anti-gun forces attempt to repeal the state's pro-gun laws.

And after you sign the petition, please consider making a contribution to Gun Owners of America -- the only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington -- so that we can engage as many gun owners as possible in this battle.

[HR][/HR]

·
Banned
140 Posts
This is what happens when a dumb guy gets a gun, and thinks hes an officer of the law. he had no right to follow anyone. When you follow someone, your defense for "self defense" is kinda hard to prove. he was the initial aggressor.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
This is what happens when a dumb guy gets a gun, and thinks hes an officer of the law. he had no right to follow anyone. When you follow someone, your defense for "self defense" is kinda hard to prove. he was the initial aggressor.
So following someone gives them the right to assault you? ... If you were following me or even appearing to follow me then I would lawfully be able to assault you and because you were "following" me you have no right to defend yourself - following isn't a sign of aggression

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
So following someone gives them the right to assault you? ... If you were following me or even appearing to follow me then I would lawfully be able to assault you and because you were "following" me you have no right to defend yourself - following isn't a sign of aggression
Pretty sure he didn't just follow silently behind him.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Pretty sure he didn't just follow silently behind him.
He could have followed him with a megaphone yelling at him, and it still wouldn't have justified smashing his head on a sidewalk. What could I say to someone that would justify that response? Shy of, "I'm going to kill you," there is nothing that can come out of a human's mouth that warrants deadly force.

EDIT: Scars, you had that run-in with a strange guy when you were out for a walk a while back, right? Some guy approached you and took your phone? Why didn't you smash his head against the sidewalk, an act that could have killed him? Likely because you wouldn't do something like that. You're a rational human being with regard for human life. Mr. Martin did not respond in that manner. He chose to use deadly force. He was met with deadly force.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I didn't do it because I knew the guy had a weapon and I didn't. Had he known Zimmer had a gun, he probably wouldn't have attacked.

Think of it this way, would you think Zimmerman justified if the kid who died was your kid?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Please. I can imagine Zimmerman running around like a mall cop throwing his weight around as if his opinion mattered. The kid didn't deploy lethal force by grabbing the grown man's head and throwing it into the ground. There had to be a wrestling match before that. And before that a shoving match. And I don't know about you, but if someone is following me or taunting me, I feel it's perfectly reasonable to turn around and confront him. If he gets close enough for me to shove him, or hit him, I will.

Isn't that what stand your ground is supposed to be? If anything, Martin should have been protected by SYG. Zimmerman sounds like a pathetic wannabe who wishes he could be on COPS. He brings a bad name to us. We should be disavowing his behavior.

Keith

He could have followed him with a megaphone yelling at him, and it still wouldn't have justified smashing his head on a sidewalk. What could I say to someone that would justify that response? Shy of, "I'm going to kill you," there is nothing that can come out of a human's mouth that warrants deadly force.

EDIT: Scars, you had that run-in with a strange guy when you were out for a walk a while back, right? Some guy approached you and took your phone? Why didn't you smash his head against the sidewalk, an act that could have killed him? Likely because you wouldn't do something like that. You're a rational human being with regard for human life. Mr. Martin did not respond in that manner. He chose to use deadly force. He was met with deadly force.

·
1,336 Posts
I didn't do it because I knew the guy had a weapon and I didn't. Had he known Zimmer had a gun, he probably wouldn't have attacked.

Think of it this way, would you think Zimmerman justified if the kid who died was your kid?
So if he didn't have his cane you'd have tried smoothing out the bumps in the sidewalk with his head? I think you'd have swore at him or gave him a shove at the most, but only if you couldn't outrun him.

As far as my imaginary kid using unwarranted deadly force and being met with equal force, I'd be objective like I am with everything else. But I've got a strong feeling that my kids would have more respect for human life.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Wow - well here we go again .....

" If he gets close enough for me to shove him, or hit him, I will." .... and maybe you'll go to jail...or get shot .... see that would be what ?- assaulting someone because they are following you ... good luck in court with that ....

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
So if he didn't have his cane you'd have tried smoothing out the bumps in the sidewalk with his head? I think you'd have swore at him or gave him a shove at the most, but only if you couldn't outrun him.

As far as my imaginary kid using unwarranted deadly force and being met with equal force, I'd be objective like I am with everything else. But I've got a strong feeling that my kids would have more respect for human life.
Quite odd considering the flak I got for NOT beating the guy's head into the ground, or stabbing him at the very least.

At the end of the day, you can't ignore the fact that before anything started, Martin was walking down the street, minding his own business. He didn't initiate anything. He was simply walking on the sidewalk. The ball didn't start rolling until Zimmerman decided to stick his nose where it didn't belong. The act of having his head beat into the ground would never have taken place had he made the right decision and NOT followed and subsequently harassed somebody who was just walking down the street.

Your desire to defend someone who did something stupid, pulled a gun and killed a kid (which you're probably subconsciously associating with "defending guns") is getting in the way of common sense.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Quite odd considering the flak I got for NOT beating the guy's head into the ground, or stabbing him at the very least.

At the end of the day, you can't ignore the fact that before anything started, Martin was walking down the street, minding his own business. He didn't initiate anything. He was simply walking on the sidewalk. The ball didn't start rolling until Zimmerman decided to stick his nose where it didn't belong. The act of having his head beat into the ground would never have taken place had he made the right decision and NOT followed and subsequently harassed somebody who was just walking down the street.

Your desire to defend someone who did something stupid, pulled a gun and killed a kid (which you're probably subconsciously associating with "defending guns") is getting in the way of common sense.
Agree 100% - however being a douche bag still doesn't warrant getting assaulted

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
^ Scars is right, Martin was on his way home, trying to mind his business. Zimmerman was KNOWN for calling 911 to report "suspicious" activity - it was reported that he had made 40+ calls to report "suspicious" individuals (none of those calls materialized into anything meaningful, such as a bust) recently, not long before his confrontation with Martin. He was out to get someone, I think that's a safe bet. If Z-man was making a big issue out of Martin walking through a neighborhood, I can't really place blame on Martin for thinking that Z-man may have been up to no good (who knows, maybe Martin thought Z-man was out to steal his wallet??). I don't agree that any sort of assault was justified here, but many high school aged kids would have likely reacted in a similar manner.

As for Bloomdouche, I've said from the start that he would exploit this situation and attempt to snake some anti-gun legislation through using the Trayvon Martin case as fuel for his fire.

·
1,336 Posts
1. Quite odd considering the flak I got for NOT beating the guy's head into the ground, or stabbing him at the very least.

2. At the end of the day, you can't ignore the fact that before anything started, Martin was walking down the street, minding his own business. He didn't initiate anything. He was simply walking on the sidewalk. The ball didn't start rolling until Zimmerman decided to stick his nose where it didn't belong. The act of having his head beat into the ground would never have taken place had he made the right decision and NOT followed and subsequently harassed somebody who was just walking down the street.

3. Your desire to defend someone who did something stupid, pulled a gun and killed a kid (which you're probably subconsciously associating with "defending guns") is getting in the way of common sense.
1 - Not from me you didn't. It wasn't warranted.

2 - You know that he harassed Martin? Where in the available evidence is that? And your last sentence in #2 is the exact logic used when a rape victim's skimpy clothing is blamed for her attack.

3 - My defense is on the side of human life. I believe that words exchanged between two people, harassing or not, don't justify deadly force. And I don't need to defend guns on a gun forum.

Just so it's not perceived that I am 100% pro-Zimmerman here, I wouldn't have ever gotten out of my truck. Not the best decision in the world. But that act, paired with approaching someone who seemed suspicious still doesn't add up to the need for deadly force in my mind.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts

Just so it's not perceived that I am 100% pro-Zimmerman here, I wouldn't have ever gotten out of my truck. Not the best decision in the world. But that act, paired with approaching someone who seemed suspicious still doesn't add up to the need for deadly force in my mind.
Ok, for the sake of argument, let's say Martin did in fact throw several uppercuts at Z-man's face to "get him off his back", Martin also threw some beatings while Z-man was laying flat on the ground. Just fists. Does that justify deadly force in your opinion?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Agree 100% - however being a douche bag still doesn't warrant getting assaulted
True, and it's entirely possible that Martin made a mistake in attacking him, but again, he wouldn't have been in that position to make a bad call had Zimmerman not initiated the incident.

2 - You know that he harassed Martin? Where in the available evidence is that?
Sure, it's possible that some guy who went to the store for candy and $1 tea also had the urge to just randomly brutalize someone who just HAPPENED to also be following him, but only possible in the same realm where it's possible that unicorns, the tooth fairy and Eskimos exist.

Occam's razor; look it up.

And your last sentence in #2 is the exact logic used when a rape victim's skimpy clothing is blamed for her attack.
Sure, if said rape victim is cruising around, looking for possible rapists and then, at the very least, following them around. I find your comparison slightly disgusting.

3 - My defense is on the side of human life. I believe that words exchanged between two people, harassing or not, don't justify deadly force. And I don't need to defend guns on a gun forum.
You're on the side for human life, yet you fully defend not only the guy who killed someone, but the guy who initiated the entire incident to begin with. Sorry, not buying it. You may have convinced yourself, but not me.

Just so I'm clear on this -

Zimmerman - kills somebody/not deadly force
Martin - beats somebody up/deadly force

Makes total sense...

·
1,336 Posts
Ok, for the sake of argument, let's say Martin did in fact throw several uppercuts at Z-man's face to "get him off his back", Martin also threw some beatings while Z-man was laying flat on the ground. Just fists. Does that justify deadly force in your opinion?
Just fists? Not in my opinion (but it's never happened to me so it's tough to say). It's the head vs sidewalk thing that bothers me. I'll agree all day long that maybe he shouldn't have gotten out of his car, shouldn't approached someone he didn't have a solid reason to, etc. But introduce deadly force because of being followed or potentially harassed and I can't see the justification.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Just fists? Not in my opinion (but it's never happened to me so it's tough to say). It's the head vs sidewalk thing that bothers me. I'll agree all day long that maybe he shouldn't have gotten out of his car, shouldn't approached someone he didn't have a solid reason to, etc. But introduce deadly force because of being followed or potentially harassed and I can't see the justification.
Hey, aren't you going to make a call on yourself for claiming that something happened without proof? Where's your proof that Zimmerman got his head beat into the ground? Is there video? Witnesses? Anything?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
OK, I just found a sharp knife. Now, can anyone tell me whether there is any truth to the rumor that you will bleed out faster if you are in a hot tub of water?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts