New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some facts about rifles for hearth and home « breachbangclear.com

..."All things being equal (like level of training) and stipulating there might be issues of storage and accessibility, a rifle is the best idea for defense; self defense, home defense, business defense. You're more accurate, you have a greater potential for lethality and have more readily accessible ammunition. Maybe it's a little harder to maneuver through the restricted confines of a doorway than a Glock and the barrel is going to break the vertical plane sooner than your 1911, but unless you live in Harry Potter's room under the stairs or you're humping an 8mm Lebel you're still better off with a long gun."...

I found this article very enlightening but also very infuriating.

I realize that many of the experts that were quoted in this piece have a vested interest in maintaining and increasing the number of AR-15 owners/shooters as they make a considerable amount of money by providing training classes, videos, etc, however, many of them also have extensive real world experience in the application of the AR platform (military version) that can be an enormous asset to anyone looking to provide themselves with the best tools for self defense in the home. Obviously, not every tactic employed by our troops in the "sandbox" necessarily translates to home defense, however, for those that do, I believe that someone who was "over there" can provide invaluable insight into how to deal with a force-on-force situation.

What infuriated me was the reminder of how handicapped we've become as a result of the unSafe Act and the prior AWB. Self defense tools readily available in approx 46 other states are denied to NYers by unconstitutional laws with no basis in fact or logic AND THE SUPREME COURT DOES NOTHING TO STOP IT!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I haven't been to the site, but I think its run by the same folks as mbest11x youtube is. if thats the case then they are former Rangers who went to school with a close friend of mine.

I think that a rifle is an extremely valuable tool for defense. However, we are extremely handicapped in this state. and it pisses me off.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah, SAFE annoys me, but the "no SBR" law really pisses me off when it comes to home defense. I'm even willing to stay above 26" OAL, but give me a 10-12" barrel.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I am no expert with a list of credentials a mile long. there are certainly advantages to a rifle such as sight radius and capacity (for the free states)..in restricted states any benefit of capacity is negated. there are experts that also advise that a handgun is a better option for home defense.

i could see both sides argued. keeping in mind that in a hd scenario you are typically a single person without a backup so its nice to keep the firearm closer to your body for weapon retention purposes. if your well trained in the use of a handgun then sight radius really doesnt mean much, especially at shorter distances like in a home. and as mentioned there is no benefit to capacity in this ****ty state.

here is a quick audio from Chris Costa where he talks about his preferred HD firearm.. this guy has every type of firearm we can dream of, including SBR's, shotguns, etc....

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I Vote 4 shotguns!

either a nice youth stock short legal length pump or a S&W Governor

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Interesting. However for IN HOME defense I think I will take my 590A1 over a rifle. AR included.
We all have our reasons and preferences.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
A handgun is easier to conceal in your bedroom while still being readily available but a shotgun is the better choice for most people besides being more available (no permit needed). If I lived in an area where I was concerned about break-ins and didn't have young children to be concerned about I would have a shotgun located close to my bed.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
Angry mob at my door? Rifle

On my nightstand? Glock

Barricaded with my family? Shotguns plural

Pedophile trying to steal my daughter? Rusty machete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.