New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our company manufactures rolled copper, commutator bar, and extruded copper and alloy complex shapes. Every quarter we have a meeting of all employees where we get updated on capital improvement projects, sales, earnings, etc.. At our meeting last week, we viewed this video about American manufacturing. It's really pretty sobering when you see all these statistics grouped together. Know who the largest US employers are? I didn't until I saw this. The video runs somewhere around 9 minutes. If you have the time, take a look. You will be surprised at the information in it. The section on the new WTC, Martin L. King memorial, and the San Francisco bridge were particularly depressing. Not trying to bash any country here, just wanted people to see some facts and figures.
Les

American Manufacturing - Did You Know? - Trade Reform

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Sobering & down right depressing. So many abandoned mills in this area, several of which I've worked in sit rotting. The scrapers come in and hopes of them ever restarting are gone. Over regulation has driven big business away. Abolish the EPA, repeal NAFTA and run the current administration out of town on a rail.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
My boss put it best. America is changing from a manufacturing based society to a service based society.

Like it or now, with global supply chains and a global economy get used to it and plan your life/finances for it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Can't beat cheap labor. You can thank our government for all of this.

James
This 99% of manufacturing plants that I have torn down were closed union shops.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This 99% of manufacturing plants that I have torn down were closed union shops.
The plant I work in is a Union shop. We weathered the recession and orders are coming in strong. People tend to blame unions when it's high management that is the real problem. I think people equate every union with the old UAW and Steelworkers unions. In fact the Toyota plant here in the southern US is a union plant and they do just fine. We see more LEAN and 5S wastes of money everyday it makes us want to puke. If we spent that same money on equipment for our shop, we would make a better product faster. Signs and clean desks don't make a better or faster product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts