New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
1,234 Posts
My daughter's yearly checkup is in a few weeks. If her pediatrician asks me if I own any firearms, do I have to answer? Should I lie? Tell her to drop dead?
NO! You don't have to answer the question. The question to you is do you trust the pediatrician to respect and secure your and your daughters' rights? Some vague questioning on your part like "Why do you ask?", may uncover a proactive, anti gun sentiment. In that case I would simply find another pediatrician. They're a dime a dozen. You should have some concerns because if she is an anti 2A activist, she can make trouble for you.

If you believe that she is a strong anti, then post the info here so that all can be warned. On the other hand, if she appears supportive then that should also be posted here.

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Ask her what color thong she has on.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
No you don't have to answer. You can lie, you can ask the Dr what that has to do with the reason you are there? I like Some Soldier's question. I just look at them and say, "what are guns?"

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Just took my wifes mom to the doctor, no questions about firearms ownership but they did ask if she ever thought of hurting herself or others at anytime. She looked at them and said huh?

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts

· Registered
14,520 Posts
my kids doctor asked my wife that question about 3 months back... she said no and im glad she did because its none of their damn business.

and as pointed out if you respond in any other way than no, they are going to assume you do and if they are major anti 2a they can make trouble.

if a doctor asked me i would ask them what does that have to do with my visit? and i would inform them that i find it offensive that they ask a personal question like that, and id probably ask them a personal question that would make them uncomfortable. and without a doubt id be finding a new doctor. as for my kids doctor asking that question, it actually really pisses me off and i may find another doctor, and may not. if he ever asks again there is no question that he will have lost several patients.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
You do not have to answer. An antagonistic answer or deliberately vague will get more eyebrows raised than a polite "I'd rather not answer." My wife (a family MD asks...) They just want to know if they are inaccessible to children. She asks for the same reason and with the same interest as "Do you look both ways before crossing the street?"

· Registered
638 Posts
Was asked that at my last visit a month ago...I replied that I'd rather not answer questions that aren't related to my visit.

The nurse said "I'll mark 'No'" and that was the end of it.

The more difficult question for me is how to address that with my daughter. She is getting to the age where Daddy does not need to be in the room for the entire visit so I am unsure how to direct her to reply if asked when my wife or I are not present.

I would rather not teach her to lie and its a tight rope I walk on a regular basis to teach the kids to be decent people and not sheep at the same time.

Right now I have instructed her to only respond to health questions and to direct other question to us. Annuals are coming up for school so we shall see how that goes.

Pretty shi**y world we live in when you have to teach your kids to dance around governmental intrusion.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Just took my wifes mom to the doctor, no questions about firearms ownership but they did ask if she ever thought of hurting herself or others at anytime. She looked at them and said huh?
That is a valid question and is a sign of a competent doctor especially one treating elderly patients since the suicide rate in that age group is quite high. No problem here.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Was asked that at my last visit a month ago...I replied that I'd rather not answer questions that aren't related to my visit.

The nurse said "I'll mark 'No'" and that was the end of it.

The more difficult question for me is how to address that with my daughter. She is getting to the age where Daddy does not need to be in the room for the entire visit so I am unsure how to direct her to reply if asked when my wife or I are not present.

I would rather not teach her to lie and its a tight rope I walk on a regular basis to teach the kids to be decent people and not sheep at the same time.

Right now I have instructed her to only respond to health questions and to direct other question to us. Annuals are coming up for school so we shall see how that goes.

Pretty shi**y world we live in when you have to teach your kids to dance around governmental intrusion.
You handled that well. The child doesn't have to lie but she should also be taught to protect her privacy. She has to understand the concept of her rights and that all people in positions of authority may not be acting in her best interest. Use this as a valuable teaching opportunity.

· Registered
2,871 Posts
My point of view is that nothing in your medical records is protected from government intrusion anymore. Which means that, unfortunately and to the detriment of your health, you must now lie or refuse to respond when it comes to anything that might be recorded.

Heil Cuomo.

· Registered
481 Posts
Use it as a teaching opportunity. Ask the doctor the purpose of the question. It's most likely that they've got literature about safe storage of firearms to avert 'firearms injuries' that they'd like to hand out or to talk about. Tell them you think that's an excellent idea and ask them if you can put a bunch of NRA or SCOPE or NYSRPA flyers in their lobby as all of those organizations can provide their patients with information. Point out it would be good for everyone to be educated on this whether they own guns or not.

The real trick, though, is when your kids are old enough, how are they going to answer the questions about guns in the house when the doctor asks them. Mine have been instructed to give no answer but "ask my parents".

Oh, and of course, in the end be sure not to give them an answer that has anything to do with gun ownership in your house.

· Registered
413 Posts
My point of view is that nothing in your medical records is protected from government intrusion anymore. Which means that, unfortunately and to the detriment of your health, you must now lie or refuse to respond when it comes to anything that might be recorded.

Heil Cuomo.
Right...so when the Furor (not him obviously but his henchman) go through your medical records since you are a pistol permit holder and pistol owner and they see that you said you do not have any firearms in the house...is there any legal trouble? Can they say you are a liar and maybe need mental help? Just wondering...seems like a lose lose to me. If asked, I would say No anyway and hope that the form just gets put in a folder somewhere but this day and age, who knows???

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Right...so when the Furor (not him obviously but his henchman) go through your medical records since you are a pistol permit holder and pistol owner and they see that you said you do not have any firearms in the house...is there any legal trouble? Can they say you are a liar and maybe need mental help? Just wondering...seems like a lose lose to me. If asked, I would say No anyway and hope that the form just gets put in a folder somewhere but this day and age, who knows???
You make a very good point, but I'm assuming that simply never seeking medical help is not a realistic solution for most of us.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.