1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
unreasonable search anyone?

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
"If effective, Lieberman said, the device could essentially bring to an end the NYPD's controversial "stop-and-frisk" campaign, which subjects more than half-a-million New Yorkers per year to largely random search by the police."

Typical government - they create a problem for people, then swoop in with what they claim to be the solution to the problem which they created in the first place.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
It'll only be used under "reasonably suspicious circumstances".........like when you're carrying a 64 ounce soft drink.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
What is this "stop and frisk" policy all about? Do they just frisk people illegally? I thought you had to have probable cause.
That's exactly what it is.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Do they just frisk people illegally?
If they were out in the real world, yes, but not in NYC.

Remember, they are Bloomtards private army, and as such aren't subject to rules meant for points outside of the kingdom.

·
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Or they'll watch what car you get in then pull you over for crossing a solid yellow line or making an illegal lane change.
Probably.

Jaywalking,loitering or a dirty shirt would likely get it done too.

·
1,336 Posts
The're not using it, just "testing it". So it can't be illegal.
Exactly. Does that mean we can test post-ban 30 round magazines?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
What is this "stop and frisk" policy all about? Do they just frisk people illegally? I thought you had to have probable cause.
The burden for a stop and frisk is reasonable suspicion that you've committed a crime or are about to commit a crime. If an officer had probable cause that you committed a crime, he would be obligated to make an arrest, and of course a search would come with that.

Stop and frisk is based on reasonable suspicion. The person being frisked is not forced to empty his pockets or cooperate with the search. He can easily refuse to consent, according to the patrolman's guide they can then frisk the outside of their clothing without consent, and investigate if a genuinely suspicious bulge or object is detected. It is not a search. So it can't be unreasonable. It's a frisk.

Keith

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
The burden for a stop and frisk is reasonable suspicion that you've committed a crime or are about to commit a crime. If an officer had probably cause that you committed a crime, he would be obligated to make an arrest, and of course a search would come with that.

Stop and frisk is based on reasonable suspicion. The person being frisked is not forced to empty his pockets or cooperate with the search. He can easily refuse to consent, according to the patrolman's guide they can then frisk the outside of their clothing without consent, and investigate if a genuinely suspicious bulge or object is detected. It is not a search. So it can't be unreasonable. It's a frisk.

Keith
Frisk the outside of their clothing without consent? BS. If a cop comes up to me on the street and starts feeling me up without my consent we have a problem.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Yet another reason to not go to Sodom, I mean NYC. Wonder if this only works if your carrying Mexican?

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
The burden for a stop and frisk is reasonable suspicion that you've committed a crime or are about to commit a crime. If an officer had probably cause that you committed a crime, he would be obligated to make an arrest, and of course a search would come with that.

Keith
From what I have been reading, most of them were illegal and threats by some of the police have been made. I doubt most of the NYCPD frisk people on "probable cause". It is like a whole other country in that city. I do not think most of the constitution applies.

James

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Keith
From what I have been reading, most of them were illegal and threats by some of the police have been made. I doubt most of the NYCPD frisk people on "probable cause". It is like a whole other country in that city. I do not think most of the constitution applies.

James
I don't know where CrackSlinger got his information from, but it seems to vary from what i've seen. There is a documentary that is on MSNBC or one of the like channels, and they go in to detail about this exact scenario w/ video proof of NYPD ILLEGALLY S&S on people. The documentary is about pot and how it vastly differs as you start on the west coast and make your way out to NY.

What IS going on is that NYPD simply comes up to you, gives you a hard time, and makes you empty your pockets. As soon as you do, that small amount of pot that you had in your pocket which would carry a sissy slap on the wrist and $25 fine charge has now been upgraded because it's in view of the public. From there, you'd be hauled off to jail, processed & released.

It's a bunch of bull****, it really looks like (even though it is of course denied) that they are mostly targeting black men in the age range of 18-death, and a few other minorities. It's not about guns, it's not about drugs. It's about complete abuse of power over people who (realistically) can't do anything about it. Hell, i'm a middle-class white male and if it happened to me, I couldn't afford the lawyer either

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts