New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out of my hot tub today, as I often do in the mornings, and dried off. I started to get dressed to head out and forgot I had brought my Glock (26) out there so I could grab it and head out when I was done. Well, I pulled my shirt off the clothes pile and from about 4 feed high my 26 dripped butt first, slide first directly on to the concrete hot tub room floor. Boy did that clack. It was loaded for carry (one in the chamber) too. :O Well, thank Glock for that nifty feature. I picked it up, unloaded it, took it down and checked everything and tested the functions, all OK. Not even a mark or ding. Good stuff! :)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Did you do the I just dropped a loaded gun dance?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I started to get dressed to head out and forgot I had brought my Glock (26) out there so I could grab it and head out when I was done.
Forgot you brought it out and had it in/with/on the clothes pile?

Naughty monkey. You should know where it is at all times regardless of its local.
The only more or less acceptable 'forget' is 'I forget I'm wearing it, but freak out and feel naked and am constantly checking on where it is when I don't unless its locked in the safe and then I still wonder a bit'

Really, it may sound a bit goofy in the way I put it, but if you think about it, what you describe is exactly one of the situations where ND or, God forbid, a kid gets hold of a handgun occurs.
'I put it down just for a second and wasn't paying attention'

I'm calling it out and saying it:
Doesn't matter what feature Glock or Colt or Kel~Tec whoever built in, what matters is the how/why the situation occured, and kudos to a manufacturer should not be what the outcome of this particular event under the given circumstances is about.

There was a ****up, and someone could have gotten really ****ed up as a result.

Self reflection, correction and greater attention to detail should be the points of interest.
Seriously.
This isn't misplacing a phone, losing a remote or forgetting where your keys are.
There was a literal loss of a firearm for all intents and puposes, you just got lucky and found it 1st is all, and still didn't have control of it when you did.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot you brought it out and had it in/with/on the clothes pile?

Naughty monkey. You should know where it is at all times regardless of its local.
The only more or less acceptable 'forget' is 'I forget I'm wearing it, but freak out and feel naked and am constantly checking on where it is when I don't unless its locked in the safe and then I still wonder a bit'

Really, it may sound a bit goofy in the way I put it, but if you think about it, what you describe is exactly one of the situations where ND or, God forbid, a kid gets hold of a handgun occurs.
'I put it down just for a second and wasn't paying attention'

I'm calling it out and saying it:
Doesn't matter what feature Glock or Colt or Kel~Tec whoever built in, what matters is the how/why the situation occured, and kudos to a manufacturer should not be what the outcome of this particular event under the given circumstances is about.

There was a ****up, and someone could have gotten really ****ed up as a result.

Self reflection, correction and greater attention to detail should be the points of interest.
Seriously.
This isn't misplacing a phone, losing a remote or forgetting where your keys are.
There was a literal loss of a firearm for all intents and puposes, you just got lucky and found it 1st is all, and still didn't have control of it when you did.
Cool story bro, but not quite right. I didn't "lose" it. I didn't "misplace" it. If I needed it I knew exactly where it was. I simply forgot I had placed it there as I wasn't thinking about it at that moment. No different than what you just said about forgetting you are carrying. I happened to knock it off when I grabbed my shirt.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If a pistol is not on your person or in a safe. it is not secured.... Your are required, reponsbile and liable to have your pistols secured at all times. There are tons of small safes out there. You can have them placed anywhere. In the walls, underbeds, sock drawers, under desk, side of hot tubs and etc. None of those locations without the safe/lock box is considered secure.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you people catching a touch of the lib? Seriously. There are no kids inside my house, and let me tell you something that will really scare you: I keep my shotgun loaded by my bed too! I know a certain group that thinks firearms should be locked up at all times, and even disassembled. Sorry, I don't belong to that group.

So yeah, nice to know if you drop your Glock from a reasonable distance you will be safe. :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Are you people catching a touch of the lib? Seriously. There are no kids inside my house, and let me tell you something that will really scare you: I keep my shotgun loaded by my bed too! I know a certain group that thinks firearms should be locked up at all times, and even disassembled. Sorry, I don't belong to that group.

So yeah, nice to know if you drop your Glock from a reasonable distance you will be safe. :)
I think the point they are trying to make is that how YOU described the situation showed that you were a tiny bit careless and that being careless (whether a mental lapse or straight stupidity) can lead to serious accidents. I got that vibe from reading it to. Really no reason to get defensive. Posting that on here you had to know someone was going to call you out and they aren't completely wrong. But its your place and your responsibility so do as you wish in the end its your ass that has to deal with the outcome of the event.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I knew exactly where it was
Yet
I simply forgot I had placed it there as I wasn't thinking about it at that moment
That kinda says you didn't know exactly where it was to me :shrug:

Wearing one and 'forgetting' its there isn't 'forgetting' its presence, its a form it being relegated to background awareness, (for want of a better term) otherwise you wouldn't feel naked/miss it when it wasn't here.

You don't think about your cock all the time, but you most assuredly know its there and I bet you'd notice and think about it constantly if it wasn't there for even the briefest moment of time. You would never, ever, not even in your wildest dreams or stress filled situation forget exactly where it was when not affixed to you ;)
Same principle.

I'm not trying to ride ya man. Just getting it out there that there's a potentially deeper but certainly correctable issue than whether a safety feature worked or not.
Teachable moment and all that.
If caught early on its going to be a non~issue in a short amount oi time because you're aware and can put more deliberate effort into correcting things on whatever level, but if not delt with, could very realisitcally become a very dangerously recurring event.

EDIT:
JVG said:
words one post up
Exactly
Just very difficult to express things properly via keyboard at times.

AFA not having it in a safe or whatever when not actually on your person, no, that wasn't what I meant.
Knowing exactly where it is, and ideally in constant visual if not physical range is the goal.
(obviosuly unattainable 100% of the time, but you can sure strive for it)
Yes, I have loaded guns around too.
I know precicely where they are and thier condition because they are deliberately checked many times a day. Sometimes each and every time I enter the room where one is. I can even tell you specifically which side they are on and which way the muzzles are orientated.
If I'm leaving the house, locked up in the safe they be and thought about constantly until I return.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yet

That kinda says you didn't know exactly where it was to me :shrug:

Wearing one and 'forgetting' its there isn't 'forgetting' its presence, its a form it being relegated to background awareness, (for want of a better term) otherwise you wouldn't feel naked/miss it when it wasn't here.

You don't think about your cock all the time, but you most assuredly know its there and I bet you'd notice and think about it constantly if it wasn't there for even the briefest moment of time. You would never, ever, not even in your wildest dreams or stress filled situation forget exactly where it was when not affixed to you ;)
Same principle.

I'm not trying to ride ya man. Just getting it out there that there's a potentially deeper but certainly correctable issue than whether a safety feature worked or not.
Teachable moment and all that.
If caught early on its going to be a non~issue in a short amount oi time because you're aware and can put more deliberate effort into correcting things on whatever level, but if not delt with, could very realisitcally become a very dangerously recurring event.
I'm not saying I did not do anything wrong. I didn't exactly WANT to throw a gun at the naught ground. Next time I won't put it UNDER something when I could set it ON TOP of the items. It isn't forgetting where it is at all. I've opened my wallet before and found $20. Didn't mean I "lost" $20, it means I forgot I had it. If someone asked me for money I'm sure I would have remembered it's presence. The only reason I am getting "defensive", if you call it that, is not because people are responding with criticism, because hey, this is a discussion forum, but rather because some people seem to be giving out information that I don't agree with. I don't agree that "If you don't have a gun on you you have no control of it and therefor should not have it." If you DO believe that then I hope you don't keep a gun in the house for defense, because no one is going to wait while you take it out of your safe and/or assemble it before they cap you. I was wrong in dropping it hell yeah, not only for safety, but I don't want to hurt my $550 gun. That being said it wasn't in any sort of dangerous position, until I did in fact drop it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
See my edit above

Additionally, at no point did I ever say, mean or even imply that you shouldn't have a gun.
Nor did I say they should be ripped, stripped and locked up in 80 different places when not actually in your hand or holster.

Only trying to say try to be significantly more aware and be more careful before you or someone else gets ****ed up
A $20 is not of the priority relevance that a firearm is.
Usually the only time a $20 can get someone killed is when its being stolen

I'll be walking away now and letting this sink in, be ignored or whatever.
I've said my piece and am not going to roll around in the dirt over it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See my edit above

Additionally, at no point did I ever say, mean or even imply that you shouldn't have a gun.
Nor did I say they should be ripped, stripped and locked up in 80 different places when not actually in your hand or holster.

Only trying to say try to be significantly more aware and be more careful before you or someone else gets ****ed up
A $20 is not of the priority relevance that a firearm is.
Usually the only time a $20 can get someone killed is when its being stolen

I'll be walking away now and letting this sink in, be ignored or whatever.
I've said my piece and am not going to roll around in the dirt over it.
I agree.

Now, I have just seen first hand how BS that "Glocks are unsafe handguns" BS is.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I just try not to drop my weapons, got tired of doing push- ups in the military for such an offense, now that would give me Flashbacks to basic.....lol

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for drop testing yours, now I don't need to bother;)
No prob. If you have anything else you'd like me to test I take donations. :)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a pre transfer bar Colt SAA with the hammer stuck back and a full cylinder, what to try that?

J/K, I wish I had one.
Absolutely. Just giveth the snap caps. ;)

·
Banned
478 Posts
For the love of god... the guy made a mistake and accidentally knocked the gun off the table. Bad idea yes, but no need to crucify him...

Everyone makes mistakes, that's why there are built in safeties.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Works on an M&P too. Long story short and without TMI I was in a very big hurry to get to the head and pistol ended up hitting the deck while in the holster and pointing straight up. Good thing I was puckering before it happened. That would have been a great headline. "local man found dead in bathroom with his pants around his ankles" Now no matter how urgent they are lowered carefully. Better to be laughted at by friends then carried by them. :eek:

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Whipping a loaded glock 27 at a wall does not fire it either...... So ive been told :x

1 - 20 of 27 Posts