New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have zero experience with this cal. , The cartridge appears similar to 30-30, same recoil - range -penetration?
Thinking of a Saiga in the near future and should prolly stock some ammo for it before the Jan. online ban.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have zero experience with this cal. , The cartridge appears similar to 30-30, same recoil - range -penetration?
Thinking of a Saiga in the near future and should prolly stock some ammo for it before the Jan. online ban.
It is I between a 30-30 & a 30-06. Good cartridge but most rifles for it are not made for accuracy, they are made for war. It would be interesting to shoot a bolt action 7.62x39 and reload for it to see how good of a cartridge it is.

As far as I know all American war cartridges have been inherently accurate.
jim

·
Registered
518 Posts
It is I between a 30-30 & a 30-06. Good cartridge but most rifles for it are not made for accuracy, they are made for war. It would be interesting to shoot a bolt action 7.62x39 and reload for it to see how good of a cartridge it is.

As far as I know all American war cartridges have been inherently accurate.
jim
You are absolutely wrong 7.62x39 fires a 123gr bullet at about 2400fps it is less powerful than a 30-30 which shoots a 150/170 grain bullet at 2200fps and 1900 fps respectively. A 3006 shots 150 gr bullet at about 3000fps.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info so far, ty for all the replies.
So the opinion on moa of a Saiga 16"bbl will be noticeably less accurate than say a Win. 94 or Marlin 336 at 100yds. and fps/ kinetic energy will be less , but cost per rd. is roughly half ? , assuming accuracy under 100yds. is good to excellent >?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
30-30 and 7.62x39 are pretty similar. The only reason x39 feels like less recoil is you are most likly firing it from a semi auto and that soaks up some of the recoil. The x39 has slightly better trajectory and penetration because it uses a pointed bullet instead of a flat nose that the 30-30 uses.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have experience with a Saiga in 7.62x39.

It wont out-shoot my Savage 10FCP, but it's not inaccurate in the least. I have the vision of an elephant and I can make 10'' steel plates swing at 200m with iron sights, consistantly, with Tula and Wolf. Never really gone for grouping out at that distance though.

It's a good round, moderate recoil, good accuracy, and fairly cheap.

May want to look into the 5.45x39 too. Even less expensive and has similar recoil to the 5.56. Ammo is plentiful... And the Afghans called it the 'poison bullet' for its tendency to tumble and create large wound cavities. Makes for a good hunting round.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
This is a good round for close range work. The case can move a nice budget friendly steel case 150gr soft point bullet to take a buck withing the 150-180yrd. range. max. So it makes this a very nice round for the northern woods.

It is not superior the the 30-30 in any shape or form.

The 30-30 can move a 150gr bullet 100fps faster than the 7.62x39 can move a 123gr bullet. up to 2450fps safely
The 30-30 can move a 170gr bullet 100fps faster than the 7.62x39 can move a 150gr bullet. up to 2200fps safely
Additionally between the new 30/30 hornady FTX and their leverrevolution loads there is a huge gain in power and ballistically but one can also load pointed bullet by skipping with a dummy every other round.

So please don't listen to non-sense comparatives and simply look it up.

In the russian one can find great budget steel buys as well as nice hunting and match ammo in brass.
You have nice rifles AK based like saigas, ruger mini30, AR15 and also nice bolt actions like the nice CZ.
It doesn't shoot too flat but it is a reliable affordable easy to own and shoot round.
Keep in mind the 7.62 russian is a .311/310 caliber and not a .308 so the bullet selection is somewhat limited when reloading.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
You are absolutely wrong 7.62x39 fires a 123gr bullet at about 2400fps it is less powerful than a 30-30 which shoots a 150/170 grain bullet at 2200fps and 1900 fps respectively. A 3006 shots 150 gr bullet at about 3000fps.
Yup you are right I was going on memory and my memory stinks, lol.

Hard to believe this cartridge kicked our butts in Vietnam
jim

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It is not superior the the 30-30 in any shape or form.

The 30-30 can move a 150gr bullet 100fps faster than the 7.62x39 can move a 123gr bullet. up to 2450fps safely
The 30-30 can move a 170gr bullet 100fps faster than the 7.62x39 can move a 150gr bullet. up to 2200fps safely

Additionally between the new 30/30 hornady FTX and their leverrevolution loads there is a huge gain in power and ballistically but one can also load pointed bullet by skipping with a dummy every other round.

Keep in mind the 7.62 russian is a .311/310 caliber and not a .308 so the bullet selection is somewhat limited when reloading.
This is all very true. It amazes me that I had to contact Redding to send me the correct seating stem after receiving a .308 version with a full set of 7.62x39 dies. They did replace it with zero problems though..great company.

Anyway...30-30 ammo is pretty expensive, while 7.62x39 is still so cheap that it almost doesn't pay to reload.

I shoot my SKS for fun, but the 30-30 is shot to zero, and confirm zero, not to throw dollars downrange. JMHO

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hard to believe this cartridge kicked our butts in Vietnam
jim
Uhh?

The AK is dependable, unlike the M16's we were using in Vietnam. The x39 round is perfect for jungle work. Heavy enough to break through brush and stay on trajectory, enough penetration to cut through good sized tree trunks, and has more than twice the mass of the 5.56 we were shooting back. Likewise, 5.56 doesn't penetrate brush very well, nor barriers.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
This is all very true. It amazes me that I had to contact Redding to send me the correct seating stem after receiving a .308 version with a full set of 7.62x39 dies. They did replace it with zero problems though..great company.

Anyway...30-30 ammo is pretty expensive, while 7.62x39 is still so cheap that it almost doesn't pay to reload.

I shoot my SKS for fun, but the 30-30 is shot to zero, and confirm zero, not to throw dollars downrange. JMHO
Comparing them really doesn't make any sense.

One is a rimmed round perfect for lever action, single shot and shotgun inserts that has been harvesting deer and black bear in this continent for many generations. It is a very attractive round for reloaders because it is easy to reload and very forgiving and one can customize it to do a lot
of things pretty darn well.

The other is a light-for-caliber now displaced service round that still has a huge following as it does close up work very well and it is reliable and plentiful. It is the most popular steel case based design in the world in the intermediate calibers. The russians made a mistake going 5.45 instead of 6mm as the chinese have demonstrated so many folks prefer the 7.62x39 for a good reason.
It is also a great round for subsonic work using 175 and 180 7.62 russian/enfield bullets but one needs to find the right rate of twist for this.
It is very attractive for folks who do not reload as steel case ammo is plentiful and at reasonable cost with plenty of loads between 120gr and 160gr
to tackle a lot of tasks.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Uhh?

The AK is dependable, unlike the M16's we were using in Vietnam. The x39 round is perfect for jungle work. Heavy enough to break through brush and stay on trajectory, enough penetration to cut through good sized tree trunks, and has more than twice the mass of the 5.56 we were shooting back. Likewise, 5.56 doesn't penetrate brush very well, nor barriers.
There were many pros and cons with both. Everyone learned from those then and moved on.
Now both rounds offer amazing loadings with cases, powders and bullets that were not available at the time.
The AR is an excellent jungle carbine.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I bought an SKS. I love the round. I am now researching other rifles chambered in it. Recoil is nice, and you can shoot 150-200 yards solidly. It can't hold a candle to the 30-30. But at 25 cents a round, it's an amazing range/plinker caliber.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.