New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home last night usual route in the dark had a huge biff. Got home safely nevertheless. Hit a huge rock at 25-30 mph. That will put a damper on your day, lol. So look at the damages today and its the real deal. Nose cone took a little but no leaks. Skeg has seen better days. Prop set needs some TLC....

Fortunatelly had an extra prop set at the house and back on the water today. Need to take the lower unit off this winter for some TLC. Fortunately, know just the place.

Just a reminder, whatever you guys think you know... maybe not so much. Have been on the lake for past 21 years and it will still come up and bite you in the a$$. Good reminder for CCW as the stakes are obviously much higher. Stay vigelent and safe everyone. s

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for your luck but it sounds like it defenitely could have been worse. It took me up to your second paragraph to figure out what the hell you are talking about, which is why I keep my a$$ dry.
LOL, main point for the gun forum is no matter how much you think you know your $hit, don't believe it. I've been doing this route for past 21 years and it got me last night. Same for CCW I suppose but the consequences could be much worse. Oh, and always have back up, lol...

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
You"ve got to get out more often, lol...
After a member replied I then learned you were talking about a boat. At first I though you were talking about your car and then you said nose cone and I was thinking, who calls the front of their car a nose cone? Never heard of a Skeg before. Is that a name of a boat company or something else?

James

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think of it as an outboard being lowered into the water. The nose cone is shaped like a big bullet in front of the props. Skeg is the fin that sits below the props. I basically hit the nose cone right below dead center, the drive lifted and i ripped off about 1" to 2" of the skeg all the way down to the bottom. Also ripped off a section of the propeller. Could have been much worse, to the tune of $7K - $8K. Fortunately, I had another set of props in the house and we are on our merry way. Skeg and props need to be sent out to a professional for next spring. Live and learn my firiend.

Now bringing it back to the gun forum....

I've done the same route 100's of times. Knew it like the back of my hand (so I thought). I was absolutely shocked when the prop hit bottom. Been there, done that 1000 times.... Or maybe not. As much as you think you know about CCW, keep practicing. For when the time comes that shows you don't know all you think you know, it might be a little worse than some damaged ego and a new set of props... Stay safe everyone.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
I'm going to be honest here. I have NO CLUE what you just said.
If he hasn't mentioned the prop I would have been way lost also. So I think he hit a rock in the dark. I had no idea that boats had nosecones, so I could be wrong.

Edit- Oh, I see now. All clear.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Think of it as an outboard being lowered into the water. The nose cone is shaped like a big bullet in front of the props. Skeg is the fin that sits below the props. I basically hit the nose cone right below dead center, the drive lifted and i ripped off about 1" to 2" of the skeg all the way down to the bottom. Also ripped off a section of the propeller. Could have been much worse, to the tune of $7K - $8K. Fortunately, I had another set of props in the house and we are on our merry way. Skeg and props need to be sent out to a professional for next spring. Live and learn my firiend.

Now bringing it back to the gun forum....

I've done the same route 100's of times. Knew it like the back of my hand (so I thought). I was absolutely shocked when the prop hit bottom. Been there, done that 1000 times.... Or maybe not. As much as you think you know about CCW, keep practicing. For when the time comes that shows you don't know all you think you know, it might be a little worse than some damaged ego and a new set of props... Stay safe everyone.
After I figured out it was a boat, I knew what you were talking about. I never heard it called skeg though.

· Registered
6,189 Posts
There's been a LOT of people taking out lower units on the St. Lawrence. Water levels are amazingly low. We've got people close to being stuck in hoists/lifts where we stay. PRAY for heavy snow this winter. We need the water!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.