New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From buying the saiga I have on layaway.

He insists that they are crap for accurracy and wont hit 2-4 MOA. and after a few shots would have a hard time hitting the target period. " after a few shots you wont be able to hit a pie plate at 50yards" says an SKS is about 200% more accurate than a saiga....

I think he is behind the times I know when saigas came out they werent the greatest. But from everything I've read / seen online i should be good for 2-4 in groupings out to 100-150 yrds. ( provided im good that is)

Says he would sell me His FAL ( I have never seen it) instead of getting the saiga. for 700.

IM just looking for an extremely reliable AR that will hit under 5 moa and reach out to 150... I also have a .308 bolt action on layaway for any distance shooting...

From what ive read / watched the saiga should be a good alla round "MBR"

What do you think? I feel he is behind the times as he has been "out of the sport" few years.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Your friend is not a friend. He is just trying to sell you his FAL! I have a Saiga. It's great and plenty accurate. The groups will open up a bit if you shoot rapid fire (as it heats up). A Saiga is more accurate than any SKS I have shot.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Your friend is not a friend. He is just trying to sell you his FAL
... for almost *2x its actual value if you shop around presuming you mean he'd let it go for the $700 mentioned above.
(*last time I looked with any real interest within the last 18 months or so anyway. Some do go higher obviously, but they are absolutely cherry and from specific suppliers)

AFA Saiga, no issues with the one I have.
I've not done MOA testing or the like, but I can assure you that it'll snot skeet/trap clays and even pieces of clays that are less than half the whole at 100 yards using iron sights all day long.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it could do it at 150, but I don't have access to that long a range to try.

That would be the 7.62 flavor. The 5.45 versions I've seen at the range are capable of that or even better due to ballistic differences.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
700 is 2x the price for FAL? i seem them for 800 usually on gunbroker.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Last one I had hands on was around $400 out the door.
I can't quite recall the specifics so don't quote me, but I wanna say it was an L1A1 made compliant by Century.

A few others were in that range also with none going over $700.

Again, this was well over a year ago.. I looked real quicklike just now for amusement and was seening them upward of $1500 to $2500 in some places.
Whatever the market will bear I suppose. :shrug:

I'd still get the Saiga though.
Parts are comparatively relatively abundant and you don't have to pay a premium for some used who knows how many years old part.
(though I understand FAL mags can be had NIB if you dig long and hard enough)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
so in everyones opinion. what im looking for in accuracy is more than doable with a scoped saiga

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've seen CETMEs go for $400, but never a FAL.

Now which Saiga are you looking at? There's a .308 model, but also 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62x39, as well as 12, 20, and .410 shotguns. Now, the shotguns aren't going to be precision weapons, but they're shotguns. My 12, with musket ball handloads, would reliably hit a 10" plate at 100 yards with the original sights, it's even more accurate now with the aperture sights.

I also have a .308 and it's pretty capable of the accuracy you're after. The barrel is heavier than my other AKs, too. It doesn't loosen up or fall apart or anything to make it shoot badly after a few rounds. And at much distance, it's probably more accurate than my SKS is.

So go ahead, get your Saiga of choice. And tell your friend I may want to take a look at his FAL sometime.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Can you hit me up with your friends info on the FAL if he is interested in selling it :)

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
If your friend is selling a real FAL for $700 its a steal. If its a Cetme/Centry its way over priced. Nothign wrong with Saig, Arsenal AK's are built off of them and they are considered one of the better ones. 5 moa with an AR, I think I cna throw rock at 5 moa lol. Your sheapest AR on the market will shoot well under 5 moa.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
From buying the saiga I have on layaway.

He insists that they are crap for accurracy and wont hit 2-4 MOA. and after a few shots would have a hard time hitting the target period. " after a few shots you wont be able to hit a pie plate at 50yards" says an SKS is about 200% more accurate than a saiga....

I think he is behind the times I know when saigas came out they werent the greatest. But from everything I've read / seen online i should be good for 2-4 in groupings out to 100-150 yrds. ( provided im good that is)

Says he would sell me His FAL ( I have never seen it) instead of getting the saiga. for 700.

IM just looking for an extremely reliable AR that will hit under 5 moa and reach out to 150... I also have a .308 bolt action on layaway for any distance shooting...

From what ive read / watched the saiga should be a good alla round "MBR"

What do you think? I feel he is behind the times as he has been "out of the sport" few years.
Zeus1,
IMO if you are looking for extreme accuracy neither of them is the system you want.
Of course a good FAL is going to shoot flatter and further but because is also shooting .308winchester and not 7.62x39 and in any case should you decide to go with the bigger 308w brass you have a 16" saiga carbine that is amazing in both accuracy and obviously AK reliability in a very handy manageable package for target, hunting or anything. FALs can be heavy. Think of the Saiga 308 as an AK version of the M1A socom II but lighter.

Russian Round.
The reality is a siaga 7.62x39 with the russian round is more than plenty for most things and the average use including target, plinking, home defense and hunting. With quality brass the saiga will do 2MOA and better (tennis size groups and less) and if someone doesn't hit the target means there is something wrong with that sighting or system or they are shooting like Stevie Wonder.

Also you have great surplus and also value packs of russian ammo puffins that these systems digest like nothing and are more affordable.
The SKS doesn't shoot better than the AK always. Some SKS shoot better but you need a wheelbarrel to carry them all day.

Before you buy something see if you can try it. The saigas tend to be a very safe bet though.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have no experience with any of the firearms mentioned above and it appears as they are all fairly equal in the accuracy dept. as well as the dependability aspect. So.....I would go after the most common one that is the easiest to get replacement parts for should they be needed.
My $.02

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picking up the saiga .223 tomorrow... I forsee a .308 in my future as well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.