1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Another reason to raise speed limits to at least 100 MPH or just don't have any at all like in Germany. US roads are nothing more than revenue grid-lines for our Government. Toll collectors in their Clown Victorias are at every corner.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Man, dirty effing games and milking the tax payers... then when they get a % of their 3 best years they take home more in pension than base salary...ALL ON TAX PAYERS DIME! We need pension reform! man, this crap pisses me off. The guy who killed himself knew the **** was coming. I hope he didnt have a family.

Glad is was reported, and glad it was another cop exposing this crime ring.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you from time to time on some things. I don't necessarily oppose raising the speed limits on some expressways. My understanding (someone who has been there, correct me if I'm wrong) is that, in Germany, while the speed limits are higher and sometimes non-existent, they enforce the hell out of things like lane change warnings, following too closely, etc., since the danger is increased exponentially at speed.

I'm not willing to throw all of the troopers under the bus; however, I agree to an extent about the revenue issue.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, dirty effing games and milking the tax payers... then when they get a % of their 3 best years they take home more in pension than base salary...ALL ON TAX PAYERS DIME! We need pension reform! man, this crap pisses me off. The guy who killed himself knew the **** was coming. I hope he didnt have a family.

Glad is was reported, and glad it was another cop exposing this crime ring.
I'm not certain what the State of Texas' pension system is. Either way this is wrong and they should be prosecuted. Makes the rest of us look bad.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I agree with you from time to time on some things. I don't necessarily oppose raising the speed limits on some expressways. My understanding (someone who has been there, correct me if I'm wrong) is that, in Germany, while the speed limits are higher and sometimes non-existent, they enforce the hell out of things like lane change warnings, following too closely, etc., since the danger is increased exponentially at speed.

I'm not willing to throw all of the troopers under the bus; however, I agree to an extent about the revenue issue.
The roads are also much better in Germany. They were built for speed and much safer than our roads when driving fast.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts

From what I understand, if you get into an accident you can be charged with reckless driving. But you have to have gotten into an accident first. This is a "no victim, no crime" perspective. As it should be.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I understand, if you get into an accident you can be charged with reckless driving. But you have to have gotten into an accident first. This is a "no victim, no crime" perspective. As it should be.
Again, as above, I can agree with you to an extent regarding no victim, no crime. I do think the States have some measure of accountability for public safety related enforcement. An example that comes to mind is safety equipment on big rigs... While I'm sure that NY is over the top as far as regulation and enforcement, I believe there has to be some level of regulation, inspection, and enforcement. How to balance that level with regards to being business-friendly, etc., is above my pay grade.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
It takes a lot of get used to putting along at 90mph only to have a blur go past you. Driving on the highways of the Autobahn was fun, but nerve wracking. Our speed limits should definitely be higher, but I don't know if I agree with non-existent.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Again, as above, I can agree with you to an extent regarding no victim, no crime. I do think the States have some measure of accountability for public safety related enforcement. An example that comes to mind is safety equipment on big rigs... While I'm sure that NY is over the top as far as regulation and enforcement, I believe there has to be some level of regulation, inspection, and enforcement. How to balance that level with regards to being business-friendly, etc., is above my pay grade.
I should fill in some context with my statement. I was speaking to an individual level of liberty.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
It takes a lot of get used to putting along at 90mph only to have a blur go past you. Driving on the highways of the Autobahn was fun, but nerve wracking. Our speed limits should definitely be higher, but I don't know if I agree with non-existent.
90 MPH? Aren't you moving to Nashville? Limit is 70 in TN and KY and everyone is doing 80+ during rush hour ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I remember reading a report that said when NYS increased the speed limit to 65, the average speed on those same roads only increased 3 mph but the accident rate went down slightly. I would be comfortable with no speed limit during daytime hours and in non-inclement weather with a reasonable speed limit or recommended speed at night and in inclement weather. I also don't have a problem with increased enforcement of unsafe lane changes, failure to signal, etc.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
There certainly should be regulation. But should the government be doing it?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There certainly should be regulation. But should the government be doing it?
I don't think privatization is the answer. I DO think that we need to elect more people to roll back government and legislation. I'm pretty certain we are f*****.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Good to see an officer do the right thing and blow up the scam. Cheating the taxpayers is despicable.

Germany is not devoid of speed limits. The Autobahn has plenty of sections that there is no speed limit, but also has quite a few stretches within metropolitan areas that have very strictly enforced limits. The road is high quality, matching that of an airport tarmac, and is constantly under maintenance and construction to keep it that way. Speed limits are strictly enforced in construction areas. Don't even think about cruising in the left lane or passing in the right lane, you'll be ticketed by any LEO that sees that.

It's one of the safest highways in the world, simply because the people traveling it understand that it's of the utmost importance to be attentive and alert while driving. They're not stuffing their faces with McDonalds takeout, texting, talking on the phone, putting on makeup, taking selfies......

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to see an officer do the right thing and blow up the scam. Cheating the taxpayers is despicable.

Germany is not devoid of speed limits. The Autobahn has plenty of sections that there is no speed limit, but also has quite a few stretches within metropolitan areas that have very strictly enforced limits. The road is high quality, matching that of an airport tarmac, and is constantly under maintenance and construction to keep it that way. Speed limits are strictly enforced in construction areas. Don't even think about cruising in the left lane or passing in the right lane, you'll be ticketed by any LEO that sees that.

It's one of the safest highways in the world, simply because the people traveling it understand that it's of the utmost importance to be attentive and alert while driving. They're not stuffing their faces with McDonalds takeout, texting, talking on the phone, putting on makeup, taking selfies......
This jibes with what I've heard. I've never been but would like to some day.

·
Registered
195 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.