New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the "gun" safety course. then after you take that you have to take the "bow" course if you want to hunt with bows. correct me if i'm wrong. now some guys who can't have guns were getting away with using black powder. that's illegal now. so let's say you have a guy who can't posess firearms but he just wants to bow hunt. how can he take the required gun part of the hunting course if he can't touch guns?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
the "gun" safety course. then after you take that you have to take the "bow" course if you want to hunt with bows. correct me if i'm wrong. now some guys who can't have guns were getting away with using black powder. that's illegal now. so let's say you have a guy who can't posess firearms but he just wants to bow hunt. how can he take the required gun part of the hunting course if he can't touch guns?
Bow and firearm hunting courses are 2 separate courses completely, neither one requires the other, or at least that is how my hunters safety course instructor explained it to us.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bow and firearm hunting courses are 2 separate courses completely, neither one requires the other, or at least that is how my hunters safety course instructor explained it to us.
ok that makes sense then. i must have heard wrong. thank you

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I never had to touch a gun in my gun Hunter Safety Course. That was 21 years ago so maybe things changed since then?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I never had to touch a gun in my gun Hunter Safety Course. That was 21 years ago so maybe things changed since then?
i never took it. i thought you did. but what about if you want to hunt with BB guns? what then? can you hunt with BB guns in NY?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I took my hunter safety course in 1966 and we had to put 2 rounds down range at a pumpkin to show what it would do when that slug hit something.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
i never took it. i thought you did. but what about if you want to hunt with BB guns? what then? can you hunt with BB guns in NY?
Airgun hunting is allowed for small game now. I assume you have to take the gun hunter course to do it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I believe the state still wants live fire but lack of ranges/facilities would make it hard for alot of people to complete the class. I took hunter ed two years ago and the instructor had these "toy" firearms with him the state supplied to go over handling, carrying and etc. We didnt use them though, he had plenty of real firearms to handle and instruct with.

When I took bow hunter this past fall I was told you can take bow hunter first but you cannot get a hunting license without the firearms course. Bow hunter ed is an add on course and why its half the hours. We did shoot in Bow hunter ed though. it was more to go over form and some techniques. This was in Rockland County.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I beleive the state still wants live fire but lack of ranges/facilities would make it hard for alot of people to complete the class. I took hunter ed two years ago and the instructor had these "toy" firearms with him the state supplied to go over handling, carrying and etc. We didnt use them though, he had plenty of real firearms to handle and instruct with.

When I took bow hunter this past fall I was told you can take bow hunter first but you cannot get a hunting license without the firearms course. Bow hunter ed is an add on course and why its half the hours. We did shoot in Bow hunter ed though. it was more to go over form and some techniques. This was in Rockland County.
and that's what i heard. you HAVE to take the gun part even just to bow hunt. then that's complete BS because a guy who just wants to bow hunt (only because that's ALL he can do) can't take the gun course to begin with because he might have to pick up a rilfe and he's not allowed to touch????????

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Believe they will not sell you a hunting permit without evidence of taking safety course, so that would imply you need to take the course even if hunting with a bb or pellet gun. That said, I don't see why they would prevent you from taking the safety course even if you are prohibited from handling a rifle or shotgun. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe they will not sell you a hunting permit without evidence of taking safety course, so that would imply you need to take the course even if hunting with a bb or pellet gun. That said, I don't see why they would prevent you from taking the safety course even if you are prohibited from handling a rifle or shotgun. Could be wrong though
well yeah if it was just book stuff and lectures but i thought you had to at least handle as part of the class. maybe you don't. i don't know.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Yea we were supposed to have a live fire I guess but we didn't have the place to do it during mine, instead he took the younger kids up front with BB rifles and placed a bunch of bore sighters in them, then had the kids walk around, shoulder, "fire", "unload" and generally handle the BB rifles all while watching where the lasers in the boresighters were pointing, indicating muzzle control, the older folks just sat tight in the back because they assumed they had good enough common sense and it otherwise would have made the course take a week.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I guess it depends on county. No guns at my class (almost 30 years ago). Just talk to instructor, I'm sure they will accomodate. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it depends on county. No guns at my class (almost 30 years ago). Just talk to instructor, I'm sure they will accomodate. Good luck.
i'm a vegetarian. i don't hunt and i can have guns. i was just reading another thread on here about the black powder "loophole" being closed on people.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
A bowhunter can bowhunt during both bow and gun season. A gun hunter can only hunt with his gun during gun season. I think that's why the bowhunter has to take both. And I never handled a gun in my gun safety course.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I just got my bow hunting license 2 years ago. Noone asked if I had proof of a hunters safety course. AS far as I know, the bow course is totally separate from the hunters safety course. You may have one and not the other. At all hunter's safety training courses I've helped with (rifle) there has always been "hands on" towards the end of the class. It teaches those taking the class how to operate a lever, bolt and semi auto action gun. (usually just the younger people taking it but occasionally you'll see a man or woman in the class that doesn't have much experience with the different actions) They are required to show safe handling and how to operate the safety on the gun. Then of course they get to shoot them. All are .22's and I will bring one of each style as well as the instructor and another volunteer. They do not allow the people taking the course to bring their own guns. No need really as they only shoot 5 rounds from each action. My bow course was the same but they encouraged people to bring the bow they will use. They provided bows for the rest. We took 3 shots as they only wanted to see you go through the motions with no issues. Anyways, I do not know of anyone that is requiring a hunters safety course completion before taking a bow course. A bow is not considered a firearm and it doesn't require a background check so even if someone is not allowed to legally own a gun, they can own a bow ... and now a crossbow.

To LEGALLY "hunt" with an air rifle, you must have taken a hunters safety course to get the license for small game season. You can't have a hunting license for any game(fish excluded LOL) unless you take the safety course. I've heard of people that are not able to buy a firearm, taking the hunters safety course and pellet guns are what they use. Of course they also go after the bow course as well and use the bow for big game. Taking somebody's right to hunt away is beyond gun ownership isn't it??

I'm also mostly vegetarian and I just make sure there is someone able to take the meat and if not, then I do the venison donation program through NYS. I think that's a really good program!! I do the same with small game as well .. I make a few calls to friends that will use the meat, and tell them that I'm going hunting and make sure they will take the game I get. If I can't get ahold of anyone, I'll just go out and bring a camera. I love the outdoors time, I like the time alone so I can think and just enjoy quietness (as long as the anxiety stays at bay for awhile and I don't go back home) ... but it's still the hunt I enjoy the most. Does this sound weird to anyone?? I feel like a wabbit slayer who only eats the carrots!!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
A bowhunter can bowhunt during both bow and gun season. A gun hunter can only hunt with his gun during gun season. I think that's why the bowhunter has to take both. And I never handled a gun in my gun safety course.
My 12 year old took the bow course .... no hunters safety needed. It's basically the same course without the firearm safety part of it. It still teaches you to know what's beyond your target and such, but its still an 8 hour course along with 4-5 hours of "home study". I've never heard of having to take the hunters safety course prior to the bow course. Hunting with a bow DOES allow you to hunt from early bow, BP, rifle and right through to late bow season. That's a benefit of bow hunting. Downfall ... you ain;t taking a 100yd shot with your bow. It ain't happening ... well ... if you're smart it ain't. LOL Obviously, you cannot buy a Super Sportsman license without the hunters safety course ... only bow license would be issued.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Chickenshoot a vegetarian, imagine that. I guess the old adage can't judge a book by its cover is really true. Either that or I just entered some warped time dimension where up is down, left right, yada yada yada ;)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
English longbowmen could hit a man sized target consistently at about 100 yards and sometimes more with a bow, so if you were really good you sure could.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts