New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I currently own an Ruger Standard .22 handgun from 1958 (looks like a MK1), and I have a Remington Fieldmaster 572 Pump .22 with a scope. Honestly I dont shoot the Remington as much as I thought I would, and the Ruger is a cool old gun, but it has alot working against it in terms of user friendly features. Both guns are in very good shape, the Remington has some wear around the eject port, but it was that way when I got it. Both guns shoot great.

My next step is to head to a LGS, and get both weapons appraised to see if I'm in the ballpark to trade out.

What I am thinking, is trading up the Ruger Standard, for a Ruger SR.22.

And trading up the Remington Fieldmaster for a Ruger 10/22.

Sound like a plan? Or is it not really worth it?

Opinions please.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Why not? Is there sentimental value to these guns you already own? If you dont shoot the Fieldmaster, and will shoot a 10/22, why not at least see what your options are for trading out...maybe take a look at some gun auctions online and see what they are going for to get an idea on value so the guy doesnt try to give you 50 bucks for something...let us know how it went.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Personaily, I would keep the old Mark I even if you decide to buy another handgun.

Unless your lucky enough to find someone willing to pay a premium you won't get much for it regardless of what condition it's in. They made so many of them over the years and being an inexpensive gun to begin with, the re-sale value won't be much. I paid $100 for my Mark I some years ago at a gun show, the asking prices was $125 and there were a few others in the same price range at the show. I'm sure the re-sale price has gone up some since I bought mine but I can't believe it's a whole lot more, maybe but I doubt it.

I really like my Mark I, it's a hell of a lot more accurate then I am, groups better then I can and with cheap ammo too.
The only complaints I have with Mark I are;
1. The mags are not common and not cheap relative to most other .22 pistol mags and the Mark I mags are different the the Mark II or III
2. Not much in the way of options of AM Target grips. Grips for the Mark I & Mark II are different.
3. You have to keep the area between the breach and bolt face clean, I carry Q-Tips and solvent in my range bag so I can swab it out after 50 rounds. If you let the crud build up it will cause mis-fires because some of the energy from the hammer strike is buffered due to the crud creating a gap between the bolt and breach. When you have a misfire under that condition you'll find a light firing pin strike on the rim of the ammo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks like $200 to $350 price range for the Ruger 22:

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

Which means a dealer is likely to give you $100 in trade-in (if you are lucky) and soak you top price for whatever you want to buy.

Looks like you might get an even trade if you can find somebody who has a 10/22 and wants the old pistol.

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

Although I suspect you'll do better finding a cash buyer for the pistol and then you'll have better negotiating power with cash.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I agree that selling them outright to interested parties will go a long way to getting what you want verses trading them in. All LGS's will low ball the crap out of you! Besides,with cash in hand you havd a far better chance of doing a little low balling yourself for the new guns that you want! LoL

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I agree that selling them outright to interested parties will go a long way to getting what you want verses trading them in. All LGS's will low ball the crap out of you! Besides,with cash in hand you havd a far better chance of doing a little low balling yourself for the new guns that you want! LoL
+1 .. totally agree.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I have the same pistol you do, I got it when I was 5 and it was the first firearm in a growing collection. It is going to be my daughters one day, (she shot her first pistol competition with it when she was 8). It is not worth as much but I love it. If you are not emotionally attached to it you cannot do wrong with a 10/22.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think you should post some pictures of said guns....seems there might be some interest from people here, better than being bent over your local stores counter.....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I bought my Ruger Standard at Gander for $150 a year-and-a-half ago. It has always been a tack driver with whatever ammo I put in it.
Getting mags is easy....since I have the A54 frame, i just use the MK II mags and move the follower button to the other side. This is nice because it gives you 10-round capacity mags for the older Standards.
Also, I believe the Volquartzen (sp?) extended magazine release should fit the old Standards, making it easier and faster for mag changes.

i know what you're feeling. I finally decided to buy a MK III Hunter so I could have the bolt lock-back on last shot and the side button mag release. Not to mention I love a fluted barrel. But i kept the Standard and gave it to the missus to shoot.

And the pump .22? I've wanted one, but my firearm budget is limited right now as I look for a large caliber revolver. Unless you're hurting for cash, I'd advise NOT getting rid of them. Just go out and get the new ones and keep these older ones for your kids.

·
Registered
530 Posts
+3 list them here and see what the market will bear.... Better off then lining the pocket of your local dealer to give a fellow board member a deal....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
both those firearms wont get 150 in trade together as described.... at the same time 350 to 425 is plausable for the pair if sold to private owners who plan on using them
i would take the pistol in a minute as i love ruger pistols, unfortunately i am in process of applying to have a permit for hunting/ target use so i could not

while they might not be as user friendly as a more modern sidearm the squirrels dont seem to notice

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
+3 list them here and see what the market will bear.... Better off then lining the pocket of your local dealer to give a fellow board member a deal....
I had attempted to make a classified ad, however I'm still new to this site, and my number of posts must be at least 50 before I am allowed to make a classified ad. I'm unsure if its allowed to post a link to an external website classified ad or not.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts