New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as stated took her out for the first time.... Ive broached the subject several times and each time she showed some interest.

Took the 12g and the .22lr... unloaded all the gear and setup a couple targets (milk jugs, spinning groundhog) and proceeded to give her basic safety instruction. (safety, visual inspection, barrel & trig discipline) she absorped it all like a sponge..

next had her load the .22 magz after i showed her how. again went smoothly once she got the first one in seconds. let her shoot the .22 off a sandbag in an awkward standing/crouching position ( its a high table) and surprisingly she hit that hog on her 2nd shot. and proceeded to hit it a few more times. this is at about 30yrds with 4x32 scope... again i was a proud hubby.

next up the 12g mossie. w/ 2-3/4 target loads. well again she took to the mechanics of the shotgun very well. and after i showed her loading procedure once she handled it from then on.

after the first shot she turned to me with the biggest smile and look of joy / surprise on her face.. unfortuneately the barrel swung around with her. not directly at me but @ a 90* angle ( i was about 2 steps behind and to the left). I jumped away yellin "hey hey" and she caught and corrected it. Really was her only safety hiccup.. again 1st shot dead on a milk jug @ 30 yrds.

i handed her a pocket full of shells and after about 15 more shots. she loaded up again and racked them off like rambo. surprisingly, again, mostly on target. rolled the jug about 10yrds back. after that she was done because her shoulder hurt lol.

but i have to give her credit. she took to it like a fish to water. and i was proud of how she took the instruction. she cant wait to go again.

she was very interested in getting her own 20g. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have seen alot of people do what I call the 1st shot swing around with a rifle or shotgun after their first range session... Sounds like you got a keeper and that there are alot of range sessions to come...

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Sounds like she will love the shooting sports. You should go together and apply for your pistol permits. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
waiting to see how the CO thing pans out before i go for the permit :) but yes i feel shes a keeper as well

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've been shooting trap for about 15 years. This year my wife and I went to florida with some friends, and my friend and I shot the Southern Grand. We swung by with the girls one day during prelims, and my wife was totally into it - asking questions and seeing lots of women shooters. On the plane back, she told me she wanted to start shooting, so we've gone several times, and I put a reduced length stock on my Beretta 391 for her. She now refers to it has "her Beretta" and is getting into it. We're going tomorrow. I like it, and so does she.

PS - my son and I are trying to talk her into applying for the pistol permit, but no luck yet. Give us time.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lucky.
I had my wife shoot a Mossberg .410 & a Taurus .22 mag and she did care about it at all.
She shot them because I wanted her to try it, but she said it didn't interest her at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I enjoy shooting with my wife. She shoots steel plates at our club all winter as does my daughter when she is not off being educated. My whole family turns out for our steel plate tournaments at the club. Great family sport.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts