New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I'm looking for something to shoot, lol.

Buckmark, the Ruger and S&W (Mod 41?) immediately come to mind. What else should I be looking at? This would be my first 22 pistol, but hopefully not my last...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
All of those are excellent 22 pistols. It all depends on if you are just looking to do a little plinking or do you plan to do some bullseye matches in the future. If Bullseye matches are your goal then any one of those three that you listed will do a fine job!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
S&W MP22, Rugers, I have a used Ruger MKIII with pic rail that we just took in from a customer that shot Bullseye, it has aftermarket Volsquartsen trigger, think it's like 2lb trigger.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Guess I'm looking for something to shoot, lol.

Buckmark, the Ruger and S&W (Mod 41?) immediately come to mind. What else should I be looking at? This would be my first 22 pistol, but hopefully not my last...
Buckmark. Easy to clean unlike the Ruger. The S&W as well as Beretta similar model just aren't in the same league as the Browning and Ruger.

I have this particular model and its by far one of my favorite firearms in the collection I use to have prior to 1/15/13
Buck Mark Plus Stainless Black Laminated UDX, 22 pistol semi automatic auto, Browning Firearms Product

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If you want one that you will have the rest of your life, find a good used model 41 (or new) and call it a day. You won't regret it. The gun shop near me has at least one 10 round mag In stock for a 41 if you get one an cant find mags.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heard Rugers are good guns but hard to take down and reassemble. The S&W is like $1,500 or so. So I guess that leaves the Browning. Am I thinking straight? Any particular barrel length I should be looking for? I'm not necessarily into competitions but wouldn't mind spending the money upfront in case its something I can grow into. Besides investment in guns is better than putting you money in the bank at this point...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Heard Rugers are good guns but hard to take down and reassemble. The S&W is like $1,500 or so. So I guess that leaves the Browning. Am I thinking straight? Any particular barrel length I should be looking for? I'm not necessarily into competitions but wouldn't mind spending the money upfront in case its something I can grow into. Besides investment in guns is better than putting you money in the bank at this point...
For target shooting or getting into bullseye shoots anything 5"+. Browning makes several 5", They have a new lite model at 5.5" and they have a 7" that has a rail to add-on red dots with out any gunsmithing needed.
What range did you join.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Of the three you named, I would start with the Buckmark. We have one that has shot 10s of thousands of rounds and is still accurate. This being said by someone who shoots a Smith 41 but you aren't going to find a 41 at a decent price any time soon. I've owned Rugers too and I would buy a Buckmark first, better factory trigger, easier to take down, and they are durable as anything out there. Here's a Buckmark 10 shot 50 foot target from ours off a rest.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Heard Rugers are good guns but hard to take down and reassemble..
Some people seem to think so but all it takes is just a little practice. IMO I've owned a Ruger MKII for over 25yrs. I've used it to shoot the bullseye league for almost as long. Once you get the hang of disassembling and reassembling it ,it's no big deal. Of course,I probably do it more than most do. With a Volsquartsen trigger and target grips the MKII is one of the most accurate 22 pistols that I own.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I also own a Buckmark and I do agree that they are also a Very accurate 22.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I dont have any experience with target 22 pistols but the browning 1911-22 I just bought is very nice. It's a little pricy for a plinker but the quality is there unlike some of the more inexpensive 22 pistols out there.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont have any experience with target 22 pistols but the browning 1911-22 I just bought is very nice. It's a little pricy for a plinker but the quality is there unlike some of the more inexpensive 22 pistols out there.

So precision but not accuracy or is it the other way around? I just ordered Litz's new book so hopefullly he spells it out for me, lol. I think I'm going to look for a S&W 41...

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I am sorry but I hafta ask, didn't they show you indoor range during certification?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sorry but I hafta ask, didn't they show you indoor range during certification?
Nope, snow storm. The meeting was over in 7 minutes so I'm told, lol... Haven't seen the range yet. I also heard there's an archery range. Not sure if its the same one. Great club. Totally psyched. Been meaning to join for 7 years and just got my button yesterday!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
This is the first time fire stage (2 stings of 5 shots in 20 seconds) I ever shot with a buckmark. This was indoor bullseye (50 feet one hand). The optic was off for me. I also threw the first two shots getting used to the trigger. I borrowed it during practice and bought one the next week. That is only 9 shots the last was a misfire. Not the pistols fault. I got a bad batch of wolf target match. Would not fire in any of the guns. I have shot many target pistols. The buckmark is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Time Fire.jpg

1 - 20 of 81 Posts