New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took me 9 long months.

and my first trainer pistol: phoenix arms .22LR. yes, its cheap. yes, it's pot metal. yes, i'm a poor student. so there you go.

time to train!

· Registered
274 Posts
Congratulations! I'm still waiting for mine after 6 months. At least you can afford to shoot a lot with a .22.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I'll take ANY pistol over none. xD Welcome to the club. :)

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
When people in NY say pistol permit are they reffering to a permit just to own or buy the gun or is to to carry?
You need a permit to own, but the vast majority of NY permits are Concealed Carry. Rarely do people get "premises" or "Possess for employment" permits and those are the only 3 that exist.

· Banned
105 Posts
You need a permit to own, but the vast majority of NY permits are Concealed Carry. Rarely do people get "premises" or "Possess for employment" permits and those are the only 3 that exist.
So you have to ask the gov of NY ( and probably pay a fee) to own a pistol then go through the normal background check when you buy it?

HOw does it take to get the one to own it and what kind of hoops are they. Man I think delaware gun laws suck until I hear some other states.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Are most restricted carry? What the source of the stats?
No such thing. Only 3 types exist. Concealed carry, Premises, and Possess for employment. Some counties write administrative restrictions on them, but that does not change the status of the permit being a Concealed Carry permit. People don't get premises because then you cannot take them to the range and most people don't need them for employment.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
I learned how to shoot pistol on a Pheonix Arms 22. Wonderful little gun... with a heck of alot of safteys.

Congratulations.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I learned how to shoot pistol on a Pheonix Arms 22. Wonderful little gun... with a heck of alot of safteys.

Congratulations.
thanks.

indeed, the thing has a LOT of safeties... especially for a "saturday night special".

if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go beat the cradle level on 007 agent... using only my hp22... i mean, my pp7.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
thanks.

indeed, the thing has a LOT of safeties... especially for a "saturday night special".

if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go beat the cradle level on 007 agent... using only my hp22... i mean, my pp7.
xD

When you move up the "The World is Not Enough" then you gotta upgrade the the Wolfram P2K...*ahem* I mean Walther P99. :D

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Congrats.

Been about 9+ months here waiting.

I just gave up and spent most of the money I have been saving for pistols the past two years on a M1 Garand.

It would have been nice to have had a pistol.... 6 months ago.

I also find it funny that I can get a M1 Garand shipped to my door in 1 week, but it takes 9+ months to get a pistol permit restricted to target/hunting?

Makes no sense whatsoever.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Congrats.

Been about 9+ months here waiting.

I just gave up and spent most of the money I have been saving for pistols the past two years on a M1 Garand.

It would have been nice to have had a pistol.... 6 months ago.

I also find it funny that I can get a M1 Garand shipped to my door in 1 week, but it takes 9+ months to get a pistol permit restricted to target/hunting?

Makes no sense whatsoever.
I did the same money blowing. 2 days before my permit arrived, I bought my Mossberg 590.

· Registered
273 Posts
Congrats on the pistol permit and the purchase. A cheap .22 handgun is better than no handgun.

My wife and I submitted our application last month. If all goes well, we should have our permits sometime between December and March. At this point it doesn't matter too much because we just spent all of our handgun money on unexpected car repairs, so we may not be able to purchase anything until tax returns come anyway.

No such thing. Only 3 types exist. Concealed carry, Premises, and Possess for employment. Some counties write administrative restrictions on them, but that does not change the status of the permit being a Concealed Carry permit. People don't get premises because then you cannot take them to the range and most people don't need them for employment.
According to NY state law, only three types exist. Still, many counties will add restrictions (typically allowing you to carry target shooting or hunting, camping, etc). If you're caught carrying outside of these restrictions, they can and will take away your permit, making handgun ownership once again illegal.

It seems that many rural counties are fairly open to granting unrestricted carry permits; however, most urban and downstate counties restrict most permits, essentially making them a permit to own, rather than a permit to carry concealed.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Congrats on the pistol permit and the purchase. A cheap .22 handgun is better than no handgun.

My wife and I submitted our application last month. If all goes well, we should have our permits sometime between December and March. At this point it doesn't matter too much because we just spent all of our handgun money on unexpected car repairs, so we may not be able to purchase anything until tax returns come anyway.

According to NY state law, only three types exist. Still, many counties will add restrictions (typically allowing you to carry target shooting or hunting, camping, etc). If you're caught carrying outside of these restrictions, they can and will take away your permit, making handgun ownership once again illegal.

It seems that many rural counties are fairly open to granting unrestricted carry permits; however, most urban and downstate counties restrict most permits, essentially making them a permit to own, rather than a permit to carry concealed.
Yep, the restrictions are nothing more than administrative and as of yet we have no confirmed cases of people getting "caught" carrying outside of them and losing their permit. A NYS concealed carry permit is what it is. A lot of these "restrictions" are just there to confuse people into what they actually have. In fact a lot of people follow the law which does not allow for restrictions and ignore any words written on the permit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.