New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, got a 5.56 RRA and currently building a 6.8 SPC in SBA (Super Bad A$$), lol. Accumulating parts for another build (on an AST lower #014). Just bought another Battlecomp compensator BABC, for larger calibers, but don't need to build that next. What do you guys recommend for #3? Can you do .308 of a mil spec AR15 lower or do you need AR10? Other thoughts are 6.5, .300, and .264. Mostly paper punching, but not opposed to getting into hunting/ varmit down the road. Of course, another 5.56 is always an option... So many choices...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am no expert on this topic at all lol. As far as 308 I am 90% sure you need an AR10 lower for it. A 6.5 I believe is good for some longer range shooting and good for varmit so that might be a good choice. So many options though. Maybe right down all the possibilities and draw them from a hat until you have built them all?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Sorry, no 308w in the AR15 portfolio. A good 308 offering is the 30 Remington AR capable of big game.
The 6.8SPC with 130gr and 140gr berger bullets goes long ways. I am loading from C-mags at 2.305 COAL.
I am very happy with the BR uppers too for big game and long range but the BR rounds are not for everyone. They require careful reloading and attention to detail.
The 7.62x39 is also a popular option, a good one shoots cheap steel ammo and also nice brass with 150gr slugs. Also great to pop deer and pigs.
A nice long barrel match for the .223/5.56 would be also a nice option.
Think about it. Don't rush it.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I did the LBC/grendel for a while but to put some decent speed in the loads one needs a long 26" pole. Very heavy. And then still could not be pushed to the advertised AA data. So that is why I switched to the 6.5BR norma Lapua. A 6.5BR lapua brass using a 20" krieger 5R barrel with obermeyer rifling pushes a 123gr scenar at 2815fps using ~32grains of H4895.
That is a power factor of roughly 346!! Extremely efficient little round and as good as it gets out the little AR15.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the LBC/grendel for a while but to put some decent speed in the loads one needs a long 26" pole. Very heavy. And then still could not be pushed to the advertised AA data. So that is why I switched to the 6.5BR norma Lapua. A 6.5BR lapua brass using a 20" krieger 5R barrel with obermeyer rifling pushes a 123gr scenar at 2815fps using ~32grains of H4895.
That is a power factor of roughly 346!! Extremely efficient little round and as good as it gets out the little AR15.
Sounds like good conversation over lobster and Black Angus... talk soon, my friend.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Sounds like good conversation over lobster and Black Angus... talk soon, my friend.
BTW that is a wildcat. the 6.5 and 30BR also is very popular. Just some of the other amazing things the venerable 6mm BR norma can do
as a donor as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts