New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a transfer switch for the genny installed next week. I have read reports of some oil burners will not run off generators due to electronic issues.
I have a B&S Storm Reponder, and a 3 year old Peerless boiler.
Anyone have any experience with this.
I don't mind extension cords in an outage to run the refrigerator, toaster oven, microwave, lights etc. But I GOTTA have heat and hot water, did not have that rigged up for Sandy.
No, I am not putting in a house transfer switch. My breaker panel is OLD and I would have to totally upgrade the service, not dropping $2K on this. The box is costing around $200 installed.

Just want to know if anyone has any experience with oil burners and generator hookups.

The burner is rated at 2.6 amps, the pump .66 amps, so I know I have plenty of power (5500 watts, 8250 surge), the question is all that sine wave stuff.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I run a peerless boiler/water heater combo unit off a generator. Never had an issue even when power was out for 7 days last year. I run it through an EmerGen manual transfer switch. The generator is a Makita with the same ratings as yours.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run a peerless boiler/water heater combo unit off a generator. Never had an issue even when power was out for 7 days last year. I run it through an EmerGen manual transfer switch. The generator is a Makita with the same ratings as yours.
Thanks
Everyone seems to "think" it will work, I guess I will find out next week.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have run a boiler from a genny also. I just disconnected the wires from the house feed and hooked up another feed line from genny, no problems.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
No reason it shouldn't work the only concern I would have is with the duty cycle of the generator and if it can keep up with demand.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The only thing I don't run from the generator is my hot water heater, oil burner runs fine. Baseboard not forced air.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been running my oil burner off a generator ( during power outages) since 1989....both are '89 generation equipment.
Yes, that should work fine.
What I heard was that some of the newer burners have sensitive electronics that may require "clean" power. There is quite a bit online about Lennox boilers, apparently they have to change a board to work with a gennie

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No reason it shouldn't work the only concern I would have is with the duty cycle of the generator and if it can keep up with demand.
THAT should hopefully not be a problem. 5500 watt gennie, the burner and pump together only draw under 400 watts.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Riello
3 years old
model, please
JMAC00 here should also be able to offer opinion ..
PM him, as I may not have experience with your particular "new" model

I would not expect any problems
and
the Equipment brand makes little difference the Burners basically are all the same, excepting firing rate, diffuser setting, insertion...
which are application spec's

·
Registered
662 Posts
You will not have any problems with your oil burner running with a generator, a digital aqua stat on the other hand may not like "dirty" power, if you have an analog aquastat you wil have no problems. The equipment to worry about are newer high efficiency gas systems that utilize solid state circuitry in the control system.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Some of the high eff equipment needs clean power to run, and a real ground. Anything boiler that has a low water cut off may have problems with an ungrounded generator. its more of a problem when you are running off grid, as the home is still grounded, Most generator produce dirty electricity and the newer electronic board don't like the dirty electricity. Make sure you have an "inverter technology " generator and you will be good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts