New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes it so special? I see nothing buy rave reviews on it, but not sure why it is so much better than any other decent rifle... It seems one can accurize a standard savage or remington to be sub MOA, and stay within the same price range, or even stay lower than $1,000. What am I missing, folks? Why is this rifle so beloved? It's tacticool looks? Folding stock? Ability to use different types of mags? Is that it?

I'm actually seriously considering getting one in 6.5 creedmore, but wanna make sure I'm getting it because it offers the best accuracy for the price, not for some other reason (e.g., overhyped gun magazine reviews, artificial scarcity created by ruger that creates an impression this rifle is something from a different universe).

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It has all the "upgrades" most people want to get built into the cost. Freefloat barrel. Uses ar furniture. Etc etc.

most compare to rilfe double the price....with the "usual" upgrades

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It has all the "upgrades" most people want to get built into the cost. Freefloat barrel. Uses ar furniture. Etc etc.

most compare to rilfe double the price....with the "usual" upgrades
I agree. Feels good , looks good and shoots good.

·
Registered
926 Posts
off the top of my head, inline recoil design, R5 rifling, magwell that takes multiple style/types of magazines, factory 20moa rail,threaded barrel, safety is switchable for left or right hand use, able to except ar type butt stocks, pistol grips and hand guards which allows you to custom fit the rifle to the shooter without having to replace the whole chassis. bolt handle is factory threaded, best of all rifle will shoot .5 moa out of the box with factory match ammo.

the barrel can be changed with a vise, ar15 barrel wrench and a set of head space gauges sort of like a savage

if you look at the rifle cjosely it does not have a chassis, the butt stock attaches to the receiver seperately from the handguard, the magwell attaches to the receiver seperately,

being scarce isn't ruger's fault, they are making them as fast as the can, they are scarce because people are buying them as soon as they hit the shelf. all the reviews are not hype, they shoot that good. there are guys using these at matches straight out of the box shooting fatory ammo.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Everything about it was very well thought out.

No, or little, need to add anything except glass.

The price point is awesome as well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If u just want to put a barreled action into a new stock or chassis system u could be under $1000. Now u can add a new barrel, truing the action and having a gunsmith to do it , unless u can do it. That adds to the cost.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I disagree with you OP. I don't see how you could put a stock Savage or REM 700 into a chassis with the features Ruger offers for under 1000. The RPR gives you more bang for the buck. Pun intended.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm actually seriously considering getting one in 6.5 creedmore, but wanna make sure I'm getting it because it offers the best accuracy for the price, not for some other reason (e.g., overhyped gun magazine reviews, artificial scarcity created by ruger that creates an impression this rifle is something from a different universe).
The RPR may or may not be the best accuracy for the selling price, but it is the best value if you want the features that the rifle has, and want very good accuracy as well. If you want an adjustable comb, length of pull and pistol grip stock I do not think you could buy a new Remington or Savage and drop it into an aftermarket stock system for near the RPR price.

Now if you want a very accurate rifle for that price range, there are options that probably do as well or better than the RPR in the price range. The Savage 12 LRP comes to mind. Those are two different setups though. The Savage has a stock with a front end contour that can be used with front rest and the rear of the stock is shaped for easy use with a bag. The RPR has a round front end which could cant in a front rest, but the full circle over the barrel makes carrying the rifle easier. The RPR makes field adjustments of comb height simple, but the stock is not really well formed for shooting off a rear bag, but could probably use a monopod or similar. Both are made with quality components in the action and barrel. Which one is the correct tool depends on what job you need to do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
For the consumer that wants to try out long range tactical match shooting, the RPR is a good deal.
For the other 99.5% of the rifle shooting world, it's just another rifle with options they'll never need.
I can and have built Savage + Remington rifles with the same features for about $200 more of the actual price the RPR is selling for, but with a left hand option, a better trigger and almost any caliber/contour/length barrel.
The shooters who are competing with them to actually try to win matches, have usually changed the barrel, hand guard and butt stock.
Add those "extras" onto the MSRP and you can build a competition rifle that'll beat the cost of an RPR.
If you wait a year or two, I bet they'll be a lot of used RPR's for sale at cheap prices, as most of the steel plates will be dead and the rifles will be collecting dust in a safe.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Anybody know why the Ruger has a tough time shooting sub MOA, What is missing from their formula?

All of the features and specs point to 1/2MOA rifle.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I just ordered one in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have been waiting for a month already.
It's basically a bolt action AR.
I can't wait to shoot it.
Getting rid of my fixed mag long range AR, I can't deal with the BS anymore, I load 1 round at the time anyways.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
At almost 11# with an empty mag kind of turns me off but it does have a tacti-cool factor.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Anybody know why the Ruger has a tough time shooting sub MOA, What is missing from their formula?

All of the features and specs point to 1/2MOA rifle.
not sure where that info came from. all reviews and info out there claim the opposite. my 6.5 shoots sub with factory match ammo.

the 308 is picky on the ammo that it likes and the 243 is only limited to the fact that there is no match available. If you hand load them this factory doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
I did read some shooters were not happy with the accuracy they were getting. It wasn't many and I think ruger took care of those people. U have to expect some to get by QC.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The ruger seems like a great rifle. Still has to prove itself over time like the R700 and Savage10 actions.
You have very good rifles for the money accuracy wise for people to get started.
At the other hand a rifle to compete and have a chance is not going to be cheap no matter what rifle.
Just quality optics alone will be in the $1.5K to be able to get repeatable results.
This aside from the training and practice that most people overlook and it should be factored into a budget.
I think the Ruger could provide a decent platform for a modest starting rifle but an equivalent priced R700,
Savage or Tikka will do the same or better.
It is a matter of preferences too. I like any new actions to be mature enough to see if they stick around and
also give them time for the manufactures to work all the bugs out. this is no different than many
other products in the market.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts