New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone playing? It's a lot of fun. There's a realistic mode that mimics real-life ballistics and bullet drop.

From a session I was playing earlier today.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
May have to pick this up. Didn't want to because I'd MUCh rather have modern weapons, but that does look good. And you can download DLC and kill Hitler. xD

G

·
I guess I'm too old to have connected with the video game phenomenon. As a pilot I appreciate the training value of quality simulator time, when I see these games I look for possible training value.

I have no doubt that these "first person shooter" games are a real hoot and that their popularity has grown to include a huge segment of the population.

FWIW, in the short clip posted by the OP the shooter appears to be using an Enfield No.4 Mk.1 T rifle in .303 caliber. These sniper rifles were issued to the forces of England and the commonwealth countries. The telescopic rifle sight that came on these rifles was the No. 32 mk I, mk II, mk III. This scope had a 3X magnification and was equipped with a pointer & crosswire reticle.

The through the scope views in the clip shows a crosswire reticle with graduations (mils?). During the period of WWII there were no such reticles in general distribution.

Additionally, the clip shows a 178-meter, downhill, head shot being made with what appears to be full mil to 1-1/2 mil hold-over. In reality this would be a 7 to 10-inch high clean miss with a 100-meter zeroed rifle. (This ignores the 20 to 30-degree down angle.)

A moving target head shots with no apparent lead is also shown. Realistic? I don't think so.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I guess I'm too old to have connected with the video game phenomenon. As a pilot I appreciate the training value of quality simulator time, when I see these games I look for possible training value.

I have no doubt that these "first person shooter" games are a real hoot and that their popularity has grown to include a huge segment of the population.

FWIW, in the short clip posted by the OP the shooter appears to be using an Enfield No.4 Mk.1 T rifle in .303 caliber. These sniper rifles were issued to the forces of England and the commonwealth countries. The telescopic rifle sight that came on these rifles was the No. 32 mk I, mk II, mk III. This scope had a 3X magnification and was equipped with a pointer & crosswire reticle.

The through the scope views in the clip shows a crosswire reticle with graduations (mils?). During the period of WWII there were no such reticles in general distribution.

Additionally, the clip shows a 178-meter, downhill, head shot being made with what appears to be full mil to 1-1/2 mil hold-over. In reality this would be a 7 to 10-inch high clean miss with a 100-meter zeroed rifle. (This ignores the 20 to 30-degree down angle.)

A moving target head shots with no apparent lead is also shown. Realistic? I don't think so.
He said "there is a realistic" mode. It wasn't on. :p

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I freely admit that I'm not man enough to play "realistic" mode. I can't do the math in real life, so I'm sure I won't be able to do it in a game either.

Another video upload in process. BTW, the rifle being used is a 1903.

Oh, and I thought I did lead the moving target, but perhaps not enough in a realistic situation?

Maybe later I'll give realistic a shot and you can take a look and see if it's any better.

Oh, and one more thing. This isn't a first person shooter. It's third person. :)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts