New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any good recipes for turtle? I have family that has a large pond and lives near some swamps. They routinely have large snapping turtles. If we see a large one (12+ inches), we usually just shoot them and leave them. Instead of just leaving them, why not try turtle soup or fried turtle though?

I've seen instructions on how to clean them, but if someone has first hand knowledge and had some tips, that would be great.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
After putting all the work into actually cleaning/getting to the meat I would say stick to cheese-burgers....

·
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had enough cheesburgers... and it's showing.... I've got no problem putting in the work to clean them.

Part of the reason I'm looking to do this is nostalgia. My grandmother is 86 now, and hasn't had turtle soup since her mother passed away 40ish years ago. My grandmother is alive and doing well, but she's starting to lose "it" a little. It would be pretty cool to bring her a soup or dish that she hasn't had in ages.

·
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard they're actually tasty if prepared correctly. That is the way it is with all wild game though. Wild rabbit and turkey aren't that great, but if you know how to cook them, they're awesome tasting.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Turtles bioaccumulate toxins from their environment more than most anything else you can eat. Keep that in mind before you start cooking up turtle. I wouldn't eat one unless I had a gun to my head.

Also keep in mind that there's a season for snapping turtles. I think it starts in mid-September. Killing one before then would be poaching.

·
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The season on them started yesterday and ends at the end of September. This isn't something that I would be eating every day, but maybe once or twice a year. I'm aware they accumulate toxins from eating fish and other animals. Avoiding the liver and as much fat as possible will help.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Even like great lakes and finger lakes trout and salmon there are areas of the turtles that store the majority of any toxins. If cleaned properly I wouldn't worry about it either. I wish I had paid attention more when I was younger because my Gradfather found them, cleaned them and made turtle soup all the time. It really did taste like chicken.....with a little shrimpy taste tossed in. He never shot thhem though. I remember him putting a stick in front of their head and when they snapped and bit it he stretched out their neck and it got chopped with e machete of hatchet. I remember him hanging it by it's tail all day to bleed out. then he cleaned it. I watched but never really paid attention.

G

·
The common snapping turtle has barely changed for 215-million years. Our species has been around for around 3.5-million years. For this reason alone we should show them some respect.

Some individuals may be over 75-years old.

Killing them for "food" is such a tragic waste considering what is being lost for want of an exotic meal.

In Native American and Hindu mythology a turtle's shell supports the earth.

Yes, I like turtles.

Please don't shoot them.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I don't see the need to shoot them for no reason. That's just me though...

·
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see the need to shoot them for no reason. That's just me though...
They eat game fish (what the pond is for), baby ducks, snakes, and frogs. I'd rather have all of those things than the snapping turtles.

·
Registered
687 Posts
JHM...if the good Lord didn't want us to eat them, He would not have made them out of meat...lol

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
They eat game fish (what the pond is for), baby ducks, snakes, and frogs. I'd rather have all of those things than the snapping turtles.
Ok if you must shoot them I agree you should eat them. I can't imagine they would taste good haha

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Not to start a big debate or upset anyone but plenty of people think deer are cute.....I have no idea of the laws of what is legal in taking turtles (shooting or trapping and what not), As long as your following the law which you seem to be by your abiding to the season I see nothing wrong with taking them especially if your eating them. I've never seen any recipes but I have herd many people say turtle soup is good. Never herd of it being prepared any other way.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've heard not to eat the bigger ones as they've been around longer and have accumulated more toxins. Also the bit about the organs, don't do it. We did used to catch them when I was a kid. Mom did the cooking so I have no recipe. We had to catch them twice. Once in the field and once again in the trunk of the car where there were 9-10 more in an enclosed space. Fun, Fun.

Maybe you could relocate them.?.? One of my friends used to catch mice and relocate them to the post office, Be creative.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Not to start a big debate or upset anyone but plenty of people think deer are cute.....I have no idea of the laws of what is legal in taking turtles (shooting or trapping and what not), As long as your following the law which you seem to be by your abiding to the season I see nothing wrong with taking them especially if your eating them. I've never seen any recipes but I have herd many people say turtle soup is good. Never herd of it being prepared any other way.
Haven't seen many deer lying around the woods shot just for the sake of shooting it. If you're going to eat it by all means do do, but I've never understood the kill just for the sake of killing it. I'm not anti-hunting or anything like that, but it seems short sighted just to shoot them as they support the whole ecosytem. You could stock that fishing pond with the big game fishes favorite meal and wind up killing off the whole pond eventually. Just saying.

·
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've heard not to eat the bigger ones as they've been around longer and have accumulated more toxins.
The minimum length in NY is 12" from the tip of the carapace to the end, so they have to be at lest that large. I get what you're saying though. It's kind of like large fish.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts