New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new M&P-22 and thought I would post my initial reaction so far. The quick reaction is I really like it.

I only have about 250 rounds through it so far, so it is still very early. It prefers CCI Tactical or CCI Mini-mags. It will shoot the Federal bulk ammo, but it tends not to eject on the first two rounds in the magazine and will have a problem if it encounters a light round.

With the CCI, it shoots flawlessly, I haven't had a single failure of any kind in 200 rounds of the CCI. I can load it 10+1 with no issues. Now with my Ruger MkIII I can shoot anything in that with no issues or very few issues, but I'm ok with having to shoot the CCI out of the S&W, it is still a lot cheaper than sooting 9mm.

My plan is to use it as a cheap training pistol to supplement my Glock 19. It doesn't help with multi-shot strings due to the low recoil, but for drawing and first shoot, plus target transitions it is great. At first I thought the sights would be a problem since the rear sight is just plain black with no dots or bar, but I don't really notice the difference when I'm shooting. I'm concentrating on the front sight anyway, so no issues.

The trigger is not as good as my Glock, Ruger SR9, or my wifes M&P9c. But it is fairly close, and closer to those than my MkIII is. Though I would never change the trigger on the MkIII, it is great for that pistol. Overall the trigger is acceptable, just not great.

Accuracy is better than I am. For the most part I can hit what I aim at. I'm more accurate with the MkIII, but I would expect that. I'm actually more accurate with the MP22 than I am with my Glock. At about 25-30 yards, it is easy to keep everything in the A zone of a USPSA target, in fact it is pretty easy to get head hits on the target at that range. Shooting on the move at 12yrds, I found I could keep 90% in the A zone. The gun is more capable than me and that is all I can ask (Though it isn't that hard).

It is very easy to take down for cleaning, even easier than the Glock. If you want to take it down further than the basic level, that may be a bit of an issue and isn't even recommend in the manual.

My only real gripe so far is the set screws on the sights. They strip really easy, in fact I managed to strip the rear one on the first outing. The sights are adjustable for windage and elevation. On moving my rear sight, I tightened it a little too much felt a little click, as it jumped a thread and stripped it. It ended up where I wanted it so, I'm good, but I won't be able to adjust the windage for the rear sight unless I resolve it. I''m sure S&W would cover it under warranty, but I'm having too much fun with it and don't want to send it in.

I'm looking forward to putting many thousands of rounds through it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I heard people complaining of the plastic safety. What are your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have a plastic safety, but it isn't really an issue. I don't feel as though it is fragile or anything, though I can see how some might not like it. For me I'm using the gun as a trainer for my Glock, so I don't always use the safety. I guess I consider it fairly innocuous, in that I haven't payed all that much attention to it. My wife says that she doesn't find it satisfying, as in it doesn't have a nice click to disengage like a 1911. It also has the same trigger safety as all M&Ps, so it really is kind of an unnecessary extra.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
It does have a plastic safety, but it isn't really an issue. I don't feel as though it is fragile or anything, though I can see how some might not like it. For me I'm using the gun as a trainer for my Glock, so I don't always use the safety. I guess I consider it fairly innocuous, in that I haven't payed all that much attention to it. My wife says that she doesn't find it satisfying, as in it doesn't have a nice click to disengage like a 1911. It also has the same trigger safety as all M&Ps, so it really is kind of an unnecessary extra.
Women like "WOOD"..........Not plastic......:cool:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Im wondering how does it compare to shooting a full 5.56 ar15.

I have an ar15 but was thinking if I picked up a 15-22 it might satisfy me a little so that I dont spend so much on 5.56 ammo.
Does it feel like your shooting a full ar-15 at all? besides the recoil and report differences is it as enjoyable to shoot?

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts

I have an ar15 but was thinking if I picked up a 15-22 it might satisfy me a little so that I dont spend so much on 5.56 ammo.
Does it feel like your shooting a full ar-15 at all? besides the recoil and report differences is it as enjoyable to shoot?
Not trying to hijack the thread but I would recommend buying a dedicated DPMS .22LR upper and use your own lower. I went this route and am very happy with it. I use my AR lower so no plastic parts, I practice with my normal trigger group, charging handle, safety lever, accuracy is superb, and I can switch back to 5.56 in a few seconds. The price point is almost the same as the S&W 15-22 and you can use either Black Dog or CMMG magazines instead of having to buy the proprietary S&W mags. DPMS sells a NY compliant heavy barrel version of their upper. Just my 2 cents.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

I image it would be quite different considering the M&P-22 is a pistol. xD

i think you mean the M&P 15-22.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts